IGNORED

Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

The sum total of the interest in yesterday's England match there. Who'd have guessed that lightly rebranding some dull international friendlies wouldn't alleviate the dullness?

Many of England's games get very little attention here if it isn't a finals tournament. You can't judge the success of the Nations League through the filter of an already apathetic bunch.

Edit: actually, I'd say that about international football in general here. It gets little attention, and usually at least one or two booing posts if it happens during the club season.

4 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

Many of England's games get very little attention here if it isn't a finals tournament. You can't judge the success of the Nations League through the filter of an already apathetic bunch.

Edit: actually, I'd say that about international football in general here. It gets little attention, and usually at least one or two booing posts if it happens during the club season.

I certainly only get excited about internationals around major tournaments, and probably then only the Euros and World Cup. Mid-season I just want players from my club to come back intact. Don’t think I’ve watched the entirety of a qualifier in over a decade.

Fell out of love with supporting England around 2010 so now usually just pick a couple of sides to follow, and enjoy the drama as it unfolds with little attachment. Leaning towards a Netherlands ‘88 or Argentina ‘78 shirt for Qatar though. Will probably do the stickers and just get caught up in the tournament with the same wide-eyed joy as I did as a kid.

I watched the Germany game but there was a lot of football in the last few months of the season so watching England in meaningless games isn’t very appealing. 

9 minutes ago, ryodi said:

I watched the Germany game but there was a lot of football in the last few months of the season so watching England in meaningless most games isn’t very appealing. 

FTFY 😛

Is it meaningless, though? I guess that's an individual perspective.

There's a trophy, there's a pathway to the Euros (particularly important for lower ranked sides), there's competitive football in the "evenly matched" sense for many of the teams who'd otherwise get whipped in qualifiers.

But you may need to already be on board with the international game outside of major tournaments to care about that, because it'll never be a major tournament and I don't think the mooted addition of Conmebol sides in a couple of years will change that. 

1 hour ago, Fry Crayola said:

Might I add, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. 

I'm well used to being a neutral for tournaments to through no choice of my own, mind you...

I’m half-Irish so feel some of that pain. Can still hear my late dad’s roar when Houghton scored in ‘88. He loved living in England but also had immense national pride when it came to sport. And as he played rugby, sad he never got to see Ireland beat the All Blacks in recent years.

I really enjoy international games without the attachment of club football. Will be strange watching a World Cup in winter though. Guess it’s a good time to buy shares in patio heaters.

Ref just given Switzerland the most ridiculous penalty for handball against Portugal, after Portugal should have had a clear foul.

edit: rightfully overturned after VAR call. However he still gave Danilo a yellow for dissent (complaining about the non-pen and foul) which now is still there 😂

31 minutes ago, Gabzy said:

Tune into Soccer Aid right now for the most shocking outfit since 1995.

edit:

3B4C9AFE-6895-47F4-AF15-4F8783063B97.jpeg

I’ve just tuned into this. The commentators are utterly diabolical. Had no idea who the Scottish co-commentator was, thinking it was an ex pro. Turns out it’s the guy who does the Love Island commentary. He’s as funny as splinters under your nails. 

10 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

I’ve just tuned into this. The commentators are utterly diabolical. Had no idea who the Scottish co-commentator was, thinking it was an ex pro. Turns out it’s the guy who does the Love Island commentary. He’s as funny as splinters under your nails. 

So what you're saying is that he's considerably better than Glen Hoddle and Michael Owen?

Grealish was absolute garbage. He's fine as an impact player, otherwise he slows it down, swans about, and gives the ball away.

All his swishing and swooshing has little end product and at this level he really looks poor.

Southgate did well picking him because now he knows he can just have him as a squad player who will be good for bants around the camp and little more.

On 12/06/2022 at 09:16, Fry Crayola said:

I suppose for the big countries like England it's a bit of a nothing tournament but it's definitely an important competition for everyone in the b tier down. Big impact on qualifying and seedings for future qualifications, competitive games against teams of a similar standard.

Scotland's semi-resurgence in recent years is partly down to the nations league.

27 minutes ago, deerokus said:

I suppose for the big countries like England it's a bit of a nothing tournament but it's definitely an important competition for everyone in the b tier down. Big impact on qualifying and seedings for future qualifications, competitive games against teams of a similar standard.

Scotland's semi-resurgence in recent years is partly down to the nations league.

England took it seriously last time around, reaching the semi-final. The timing of the World Cup is the reason it is devalued this year - it's nothing to do with big country snobbishness. The Nations League games are the only matches teams have to try out different players before the World Cup.

If the pointlessness of this year's Nations League is because the more traditionally successful countries consider it beneath them, then how come Wales haven't bothered with it in this window? They had the World Cup play-off, a massive match, one of the biggest in their history, sandwiched between two Nations League matches in the course of about a week and a half. Of course they're going to concentrate on the play-off and not risk their better players in the other games. That sort of thing on a smaller scale is affecting all the teams in the World Cup. That's why the Nations League games have had the feel of meaningless friendlies.

This Australia v Peru penalty shootout is entertaining so far. The Aussies have subbed on a keeper in the last minute, whose antics would put Grobelaar to shame. And a Peruvian Lee Evans lookalike has just levelled up the scores. Peruvian fans make a great racket too. 

Pretty poor game overall, but the penalties were funny.

I went into the game wanting Peru to win, but their shithousery was pretty bad (the goalie taking ages on goal kicks and the constant ankle clipping whenever a break was on). They would have stunk up the World Cup if they'd play like that. Australia weren't that great either, and I reckon Peru will regret not properly going for it as when they started to push near the end they looked better.