Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

44 minutes ago, Azrael said:

Your highlight of years of following football is a draw so insignificant i can barely remember it? Didn't Lucas Leiva score against you in the replay? Think that's more of a shock than a 0-0 draw tbh. 

I meant 1-1 against Chelsea. 

Yeah I think people hate Frank more than Everton. I have nothing against Everton but Lampard just comes across as someone who always fails upwards, gets jobs on his name alone, regardless of talent and most annoying for me, is how he always blames someone else when it goes wrong.  

Not entirely wrong though, is it?

That was a pen just before the first goal, and Liverpool would have struggled to win if they'd scored it.

Liverpool have gone 46 matches without having a pen awarded against them, incidentally.

The performance has inspired some confidence in the fans that the players CAN do what they need to in these situations.

Unfortunately for Everton this is happening after they already lost to Burnley who now look on pace to hit 40 points.

Currently feels like Everton could win the remaining fixtures bar Chelsey and Arsenal (12 points) and it still wouldn’t be enough thanks to the form Burnley and Leeds are on.

This is a low for the club that very few fans have been alive for. There’s been close calls in the past but this feels like the one where relegation will happen. Everton, like Villa are not a big club anymore, it has gained the status of being a long fallen giant. With the climate of the modern game I can’t see Everton ever being a giant again.

With relegation looming, the last Moyes player close to retirement, Moshiri as owner and the club due to leave Goodison Park for the new stadium it feels like I am watching the end of something I have known all my life. Nothing good has come from the takeover and football has never been the same for me since that money came in 6 years ago. I’d have been happier had it never happened at all.

Burnley 1 Wolves 0

A good little run back to the homeland, every traffic light was green, I had music blaring out of the car, the fish and chips at Bannys and then I park up and I'm given free sweets for Ramadan.  Surely the Football Gods were setting me up for a fall?

Nope.  A throughly absorbing game.  The Graun called it "low quality" but they just don't like football anymore.  It might not have been end to end stuff, but it was one of those matches where two teams were constantly reacting to the other rather than cancelling them out.  Where players would exchange two or three neat passes to find space and then find themselves cut off by a quickly covering defender.  Where you are constantly applauding for a couple of seconds to reward intelligent play.

Burnley looked like a massive weight had been lifted from their shoulders.  It's clear that Dyche leaving has been a relief to them.  They play with speed now, without fear.  I think that Dyche had started believing in his system over his players.  Dwight McNeil is revitalised.  Still can't find his shooting boots but at least he is running forward and going at defenders for the first time in a year.  Connor Roberts and Nathan Collins are busting a gut everywhere on the pitch.  Jack Cork is making one last valiant stand in the centre of midfield. Josh Brownhill looks like a Premier League midfielder.  Matej Vydra diligently chases down the ball he has given away - he gets plenty of practice.  (I'm being slightly unfair - the team are making mistakes now, but that's OK, because they have the freedom to do so without crowd or manager getting on their back and they are recovering those mistakes like demons.)

Wolves shaded the first half and with two goal shy teams the opener would likely be the winner.  It came on the hour, a neat reverse pass from McNeil on the wing setting Weghorst free to pass across the six yard box for Vydra to put home.  Turf Moor, already loud, erupted.  I've not much time for pumping the tyres of our own supporters, but it was one of those games where the opposition have to play the cliched "twelfth man" as every pass was applauded, every tackle roared on.

Ashley Barnes came on to do two things 1) hold the ball and pass it off and 2) shithouse.  He did both in only the way he can, treating the ball like a cat trying to control a balloon, and getting booked for refusing to take a throw-in.  A cameo of perfection.

A lot of smiles in the sunshine on the way out.  If we are going to do this - and I still think relegation is a probability - one advantage that we do have is that Turf Moor is supporting its team no matter what, whereas Goodison Park isn't.  If the team is going down, it's going down swinging and after the stuff served up for the last few months, I'm happy with that.

1 hour ago, Timmo said:

Not entirely wrong though, is it?

That was a pen just before the first goal, and Liverpool would have struggled to win if they'd scored it.

Liverpool have gone 46 matches without having a pen awarded against them, incidentally.

Not a pen, he initiated contact by running across Matip.

1 hour ago, Dig Dug said:

With relegation looming, the last Moyes player close to retirement, Moshiri as owner and the club due to leave Goodison Park for the new stadium it feels like I am watching the end of something I have known all my life. Nothing good has come from the takeover and football has never been the same for me since that money came in 6 years ago. I’d have been happier had it never happened at all.

Moshiri has spent more than Liverpool, hasn't he?  Incredible waste and I guess we will find out whether it really was his money after all.

I've said it for the last half decade, Everton really need to appoint Dyche.  If relegation does happen, it's probably one of the few Championship jobs that he would - or indeed should - take on.

I like Everton.  Seeing as I started following football in the mid-80s, they always seemed one of the Big Clubs.  IIRC, they were also one of the prime movers behind the Premier League but have utterly failed to capitalise on it.  Obviously I've got a dog in the fight here, but if Lampard wasn't there, I think that there would be a lot more sadness at their plight.

6 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Moshiri has spent more than Liverpool, hasn't he?  Incredible waste and I guess we will find out whether it really was his money after all.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/evertons-pound550m-mistake-how-have-the-toffees-spent-so-much

It's not like I pay that much attention to Everton outside derby days but I have literally no idea how or when this happened.

Not going to get embroiled in a net spend debate but to make the comparison even worse, the sale of Coutinho bankrolled practically half of Liverpool's spend, while Everton have recouped basically nothing over that period either.

13 minutes ago, Timmo said:

That clears that up then - thanks, Liverpool fan

Sorry just providing balance to your “it IS a penalty”. We’ve had far more egregious fouls than that and no penalty. Which is fine if it’s consistent, a penalty is a big reward so it needs to be a certain foul which I don’t think that was. 

Also if you want any chance of getting that as a penalty, don’t obviously dive at every occasion throughout the match!

9 minutes ago, dizogg said:

Sorry just providing balance to your “it IS a penalty”. We’ve had far more egregious fouls than that and no penalty. Which is fine if it’s consistent, a penalty is a big reward so it needs to be a certain foul which I don’t think that was. 

Also if you want any chance of getting that as a penalty, don’t obviously dive at every occasion throughout the match!

Was definitely 'boy who cried wolf' after his dive.

Looked blatant to me but I know that a true 'stonewall' penalty barely exists.

2 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Salah did exactly the same to Tyrone Mings in December. Penalty. 

I thought that was soft, yeah. That one looked much worse in real time though, also Mings is known to be a clumsy oaf and Salah isn’t really a known diver so that might have swung it. 

Player reputation does come into it. I remember DCL getting a soft one on Lovren and the reaction was... Lovren is known to make rash decisions so havey the ref a choice to make. 

Yet Van Dijk has been known to get away with worse. 

I think it was a pen. But basically the antics of not just Gordon earlier, but also Richarlison throughout the game, meant it would need to be something major to be given. 

It was definitely in that "I've seen them given" camp and I would have no complaints. In fact, didn't Jota got a penalty recently for similar if I recall, where he moved across the defender and got clipped?

Did VAR not look at it then? That's a surprise.

14 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Did VAR not look at it then? That's a surprise.

Dermot Gallagher who was on the coverage I had here said something along the lines of VAR will have looked at it and decided there wasn't enough there to suggest the on-field decision should be changed.

What’s everyone’s predictions for the rest of  the major talking points of the season, then?

Premier League Champions:

Fourth spot:

Relegated:

FA Cup:

Champions League:

Europe League:

Europa Conference:

My picks (which are ironclad certs seeing as I thought in January Moyes wouldn’t last the season at West Ham :lol:)

Champions: Man City

Fourth spot: Spurs

Relegated: Norwich, Watford, Leeds (sorry Leeds)

FA Cup: Liverpool

Champions League: Man City

Europe League: West Ham 

Europa Conference: Roma

(I’ll tally up these, 10 points per correct pick… tiebreaker suggestions welcome)

Premier League Champions: Man City

Fourth spot: Man United 

Relegated: Norwich, Watford, Leeds 

FA Cup: Chelsea 

Champions League: Real Madrid 

Europa League: The Rangers 

Europa Conference: Anyone care? 

Premier League Champions: City

Fourth spot: Arsenal

Relegated: Norwich, Watford, Burnley (sadly, Everton will scrape by)

FA Cup: Liverpool

Champions League: Liverpool

Europe League: West Ham

Europa Conference: Feyenoord

11 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

Of course. It's as meaningful as any other - which is to say, the square root of fuck all.

Aye, Leicester, Roma, Feyenoord and Marseille probably care. Alright it’s not as prestigious as some tournaments but winning a European trophy is something only three sides out of hundreds of clubs can do each season.