Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

5 minutes ago, Hamus said:

It's Peterborough.

I once banged in an overhead kick when I was 12 against my brother. Sign me up.

It being Peterborough doesn't change the skill of the pass or skill of the touch. Foden spun and saw quickly, I don't think 'well you wouldn't get that time in the premier league' applies here, he's so deep. And Grealish had pressure from defenders. 

Same as most I’ll happily rag on Spurs because they’re Spurs, but it is staggering how they’ve fallen away since the European Cup final with Liverpool just three years ago.

Even in defeat, with that stadium and Pochettino ready to add to an already decent squad they looked perfectly positioned to kick-on and establish themselves as a really good side. Yet the next step never happened and it feels like every wrong step they could have taken since then, they’ve done so with some aplomb.

Shame for them; Son and Kane are fantastic players, Kane especially is a generational talent but looks increasingly likely both will be no more than sparkling footnotes in an era that promised so much but delivered so little. Such fine lines.

12 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

It being Peterborough doesn't change the skill of the pass or skill of the touch. Foden spun and saw quickly, I don't think 'well you wouldn't get that time in the premier league' applies here, he's so deep. And Grealish had pressure from defenders. 

Van Dyke would have made him shit his pants and then smashed the ball away, probably into his drunk driving face.

Yes, against easier opposition you are more relaxed. It's a nothing game compared to your top teams.

1 hour ago, Hamus said:

Yes, against easier opposition you are more relaxed. It's a nothing game compared to your top teams.

You do know that Championship Level defenders aren't actually selected to play at random by the manager of someone like Peterborough by him hanging around the turnstiles and finding someone with an up to date replica kit to play don't you?  They're pretty much always professional, elite sports people.  

:rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Fry Crayola said:

Although Shearer at least managed to win a trophy.

I keep forgetting his Blackburn days, I jump from Southampton to Newcastle. Which also means Chris Sutton has a league winners medal for the love of god.

3 hours ago, BitterToad said:

How long is left on his contract? You've got to assume that if he's not left by the start of next season he'll be in full blown "refusing to play" mode.

Would Levy sell? He didn’t entertain Man City’s offer (£100m?) and bids this summer will likely be lower.

Would they even come back for him, or move on to a target such as Haaland (who they’re favourites to sign)

Kane would elevate any side he moved to but where is his most likely destination if he were to move? He’d probably be fantastic for Chelsea but can’t see business being done between those two clubs.

6 minutes ago, glb said:

Would Levy sell? He didn’t entertain Man City’s offer (£100m?) and bids this summer will likely be lower.

Would they even come back for him, or move on to a target such as Haaland (who they’re favourites to sign)

Kane would elevate any side he moved to but where is his most likely destination if he were to move? He’d probably be fantastic for Chelsea but can’t see business being done between those two clubs.

You just know Man Utd are going to come along and spunk £100 million on 29 year old Harry Kane this summer 😬

1 minute ago, spork said:

You just know Man Utd are going to come along and spunk £100 million on 29 year old Harry Kane this summer 😬

Thing is, while your lot need an upgrade in centre midfield than another forward, he would likely just about be worth it, even at that amount. Probably not enough to win the title on his own, but 15-20+ goals certainly would have a significant impact on your chances of success.

Then again, if Man City sign Haaland, we’re all playing for second place. Again.

16 minutes ago, glb said:

Thing is, while your lot need an upgrade in centre midfield than another forward, he would likely just about be worth it, even at that amount. Probably not enough to win the title on his own, but 15-20+ goals certainly would have a significant impact on your chances of success.

Then again, if Man City sign Haaland, we’re all playing for second place. Again.

If he was a couple of years younger then it wouldn’t be a bad idea but that much for a 29 year old is a bit mad. You’d sort of think that the club could identify a cheaper and younger striker they could bring in who would also likely be able to score 15+ a season. 

45 minutes ago, spork said:

If he was a couple of years younger then it wouldn’t be a bad idea but that much for a 29 year old is a bit mad. You’d sort of think that the club could identify a cheaper and younger striker they could bring in who would also likely be able to score 15+ a season. 

Agreed. Younger and cheaper would be the sensible approach. So, eagerly await footage of Kane holding a United scarf in front of the Stretford End in August.

9 minutes ago, Gabe said:

You would expect Kane to get score a heck of a lot more than 15-20 goals though, he gets that already as a somewhat dysfunctional team. At a proper team he would bang loads in. 

So 15-20 at Man United?

Probably Dixie Dean numbers at Man City.

3 hours ago, glb said:

So 15-20 at Man United?

Probably Dixie Dean numbers at Man City.

:lol:

It's not just the goals he scores either, but the lad can pick a pass and has great vision too, along with being able to pull out wide and link play. Whilst I don't think City need him to (continue to) conquer the PL, I think the main difference he would make for them would be in the CL.

8 minutes ago, Gabe said:

:lol:

It's not just the goals he scores either, but the lad can pick a pass and has great vision too, along with being able to pull out wide and link play. Whilst I don't think City need him to (continue to) conquer the PL, I think the main difference he would make for them would be in the CL.

Yeah, he’d almost certainly be the missing piece for them in Europe. Assuming they don’t finally find a way to win ol’ Big Ears this season.

Remain hopefully Pep will do something daft and play Nathan Ake as a false nine in the quarters.

Are there many billionaires that aren't tainted by Russian money?

It'll be interesting to see who buys them, imagine how much sportswashing the Saudi's could've done with this purchase if they'd only waited a bit!