IGNORED

Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

2 hours ago, ChewMagma said:

We had one like that on Craig Dawson earlier in the season, nothing doing.

VAR is used to cement the top 6, you can always find a reason to disallow a goal or give a penalty if you run it back or slow it down enough.

Certain teams are allowed to do well and certain teams aren't. A Leicester City winning the league will never be allowed again. Stage managed bullshit.

But tin foil hat that mate. Leicester winning the title was probably the best worldwide publicity and PR the league has ever had!

The referees are just shit. Agree decision to give that as a penalty is baffling. Kevin “Nobody’s” Friend.

6 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

If you follow a top side, you won't ever see it, I'm afraid. Just how it is.

Possibly unconscious bias by referees. Organised plan to keep some certain teams in the top 6 (a top 6 that has been changing the last few years, which top 6 is it they’re trying to cement as they’re not doing a great job??) no sorry. You’re just wrong.

1 hour ago, skadupuk said:

Screenshot_20220123-162806_Chrome.thumb.jpg.91f20bc3feebed4d9902cb0e8d10d379.jpg

Viera calling out the big club bias...looking forward to seeing how much he gets fined 🙄

He didn't seem to have a problem with it when he was winning stuff with Arsenal though, did he?

It looks like Ericsson announcement at Brentford is gonna happen by the end if this week. If it all goes through it has the potential to really help the bees and for the bees to help him get to the World Cup. Will take a few games to settle in and build up to match fitness but, assuming he’s been training and can deal with the spotlight he should

give us some creativity that we desperately need right now. 

I think there will be a lot of love for his return. There will of course be people saying it’s not worth it and offering up armchair medical opinions but I think we have to assume that if doctors have signed it off, he’s happy and he’s not doing it for the money then it’s fine. 

47 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

Jota should be ashamed. Game's gone. That's a travesty. 

Even on slow-mo it looked like he side-stepped into the goalie rather than the goalie clattering him.

I thought Spurs were alright - bad luck with the disallowed goal, and really need to work on their final ball still. It looked to me like a Lloris misjudgement for Ziyech’s goal too - looked like he was going to dive and then decided it was going over or wide. It really does show how far ahead the top 3 are from everyone else. Spurs still have a lot of games in hand on the top six, so am hopeful for a decent second half of the season.

Just now, dizogg said:

Possibly unconscious bias by referees. Organised plan to keep some certain teams in the top 6 (a top that has been changing the last few years, which top 6 is it they’re trying to cement as they’re not doing a great job??) no sorry. You’re just wrong.

Maybe, maybe. Whether it is incompetence or conspiracy, the outcome is ultimately the same. There is no transparency or accountability in VAR decisions and when you are following a team that has a shot, their one shot quite likely, in years to actually achieve something in the game and you see a penalty given one day for something and the same thing dismissed for your team the next or you see VAR rolling back the tape 3 mins to find something, anything, to disallow a goal, you really start to wonder. There is no consistency, there is no transparency, and that is what VAR was supposed to bring.

51 minutes ago, Gabe said:

He didn't seem to have a problem with it when he was winning stuff with Arsenal though, did he?

I'm sure when you are slap bang in the middle of it, you either ignore the suggestion or don't want to believe it (who would want to believe that their achivements are in any way tarnished)

It's almost as having a different perspective and/or experience can change the way you see and interpret things...how novel.

2 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

That's a peach of a goal by Ziyech.  He's an underrated player.

The best sort of top corner goal. I love it when the ball hits the net and kinda just rolls along it. So satisfying.  

Ziyech is an odd player in terms of his reputation though.  Obviously he had that season at Ajax where he became one of the hottest properties in European football and everybody was after him but he's not lit up the Premier League like I was expecting.  He does seem to need that extra half second that doesn't always get afforded in English football, but fuck me, when he's got a yard of space to work with then it's magical.  

Bruno begs to differ!😉

Jota definitely makes a move towards the keeper, but all I can think is the ref decided the goalie was in the wrong for sliding on his knees and even without the movement he would have taken him out 🤷‍♂️.

EcgkxgBXsAAq_kz.jpeg

46 minutes ago, Chewylegs said:

Bruno begs to differ!😉

Jota definitely makes a move towards the keeper, but all I can think is the ref decided the goalie was in the wrong for sliding on his knees and even without the movement he would have taken him out 🤷‍♂️.

EcgkxgBXsAAq_kz.jpeg

Taken in isolation, that does look awful, and it was compounded by Bruno being a fanny after the fact, but the bit of play preceding it easily lets him off the hook. He's mid-pirouette, as you can see early in this clip (usual FFS mute damn video caveat).

Oh yes, the picture is misleading but I couldn't find a video.  It was given as a penalty to Bruno though wasnt it?  VAR didn't overturn it.  A real shocker! (and we all thought VAR was here to sort these issues out with ease).

8 minutes ago, Chewylegs said:

Oh yes, the picture is misleading but I couldn't find a video.  It was given as a penalty to Bruno though wasnt it?  VAR didn't overturn it.  A real shocker! (and we all thought VAR was here to sort these issues out with ease).

Oh fucking hell, if that was the case you're dead right - as much a shocker. I misremembered it as him going off for it and VAR not commuting it down.

Ollie Watkins had a very similar incident to the Jota one in the Everton game this weekend and was told to sod off.

There is a bias to the media darlings. There are too many incidents where the rub off the green is given to them - soft (at best - that Fernandes one will forever be held in my mind as the worst) penalties, marginal calls in their favour, etc. As a Villa fan we're only too aware of it, we get absolutely appalling displays of officiating whenever we play the usual suspects, some so bad they've had to clarify the rules - that Citeh goal from offside for instance. Or obviously the recent Manchester United game were they stopped the game for 5 minutes desperate to find something to rule a goal out.

It needs to stop. It won't. But it's getting silly now.

I just think some managers and teams are better at putting pressure on refs for individual games and decisions, I don't think there's a conspiracy towards the big clubs as such. Also, Burnley got a couple of generous decisions yesterday as an example and they're plonked at the bottom of the table. But that's from my perspective as a fan of a club who had a frustrating afternoon against a decent team who defended really well. It's fun to chip off during the game in a team thread as it's football and a bit of a laugh, it's all fairly meaningless ultimately.

Saying that, no-one on earth can convince me the Barca team that beat Chelsea that time didn't bend the ref. I've honestly never seen anything like it. 

5 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Hawkeye failure involved Villa didn’t it?

Yes.

That doesn't negate the amount of dreadful decisions given against us. That same season we had a goal ruled out at the death against Palace because the referee decided the pass to assist the goal was a dive, Fernandes' got a penalty for trying to break Konsa's leg... And so on.

There being an unprecedented system failure in one of our games doesn't give carte blanche for every dire decision against us to be written off. Just like Ben Mee handing out a couple of career enders doesn't mean he's actually a dirty thug.

8 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Yes.

That doesn't negate the amount of dreadful decisions given against us. That same season we had a goal ruled out at the death against Palace because the referee decided the pass to assist the goal was a dive, Fernandes' got a penalty for trying to break Konsa's leg... And so on.

There being an unprecedented system failure in one of our games doesn't give carte blanche for every dire decision against us to be written off. Just like Ben Mee handing out a couple of career enders doesn't mean he's actually a dirty thug.

If you take away that point wouldn't Villa have gone down that season?  If so it kinda does balance it out a bit to be fair.

5 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

If you take away that point wouldn't Villa have gone down that season?  If so it kinda does balance it out a bit to be fair.

The Palace wrongly disallowed goal with the last kick of the game would have earned us a point. And the Fernandes non-penalty given turned the game which was 0-0 at the time it was given.

It doesn't balance anything.

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The Palace wrongly disallowed goal with the last kick of the game would have earned us a point. And the Fernandes non-penalty given turned the game which was 0-0 at the time it was given.

It doesn't balance anything.

That Palace goal would have gotten us in to Europe too.  Bloody Spurs.