IGNORED

Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

14 hours ago, Plissken said:

A reminder that Arsenal have gained more red cards under Mikel Arteta than Burnley have had in the Premier League... ever.

I wouldn’t say Arsenal have a reputation of being a particularly clean team and likewise Burnley don’t have one as a dirty team. Ultimately it’s a problem for Arteta to fix as it’s causing all sorts of issues now. Saying that, it’s frustrating as we seem to be punished to the letter of the law on absolutely every incident – there’s maybe two bad tackles in that 14 reds and our fouls to cards ratio is so low it’s ridiculous. Look at last night, Partey commits two fouls and gets sent off, Fabinho six and receives nothing. 

I think where he wants to change things is by creating an atmosphere of pressure around the officials like Pep and Klopp have. It’s what all good managers do. You see the way both teams step on your neck with rotational fouling which goes largely unpunished, it’s so effective. Liverpool are so brilliant going forward, but their real strength is stopping your attacks before they start and winning the ball back almost instantly. 

19 hours ago, Keiths_Dad said:

Whilst I think they're heading that way more generally, I'm not having it about Simon Hughes, who is very good. I think the headline is very clickbaity, but it's probably the case that the editorial team choose that in any case.

That’s fair, he puts in a decent shift and I enjoyed the more in-depth articles about Liverpool and  Klopp he and James Pearce put out.

Cancelled my subscription long ago though. Found the bulk of the articles were getting increasingly sensationalist, often without actually saying much at all. Many were Barney Ronay-lite, using 150 words when 15 will do.

Liked the concept but find Mundial and the like much more enjoyable (and less needy) as footballing reads go.

Newcastle next two games (with a trip to Saudi in the middle) are Leeds and Everton.  Lose both of them and they'll be 10 points behind the 16th place team who will have a game in hand.

I suspect 17th is their only hope anyway, but that would confirm it and Watford's next two are Norwich and Burnley so other teams in the bottom 4 are going to be collecting points.  If Watford could win both of them then they could have a 7 point cushion from the relegation spots.

1 hour ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Looks like Adama is about to join Spurs.

I'm looking forward to being able to arrogantly write him off based on a 30 second match of the day clip like fans of his previous clubs.

I’m looking forward to seeing Conte’s head explode in sheer frustration.

11 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Burnley now play Watford, Man Utd and Liverpool in 8 days. Just checking, is this the point that we moan about fixture congestion and small squads?

Easy six points from nine…

On 30/11/2021 at 20:56, Stopharage said:

Norwich really are extremely dull and devoid of any creativity. Josh Sargent gives me hope that I can still play professional football. 

If anyone wants me to slag off any of their players off, just ask (see also the impact I had when I bemoaned Iheanacho and when Ranieri turned up at Leicester). 

8 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

If anyone wants me to slag off any of their players off, just ask (see also the impact I had when I bemoaned Iheanacho and when Ranieri turned up at Leicester). 

Could you try telling us how good Liverpool are?

Jesus fucking Christ. 3-0 at home to Norwich. Good thing we didn't have to play Burnley in this supposedly season defining week, today would have been the final nail in the coffin.

Ranieri has not improved anything since he arrived but I genuinely have no clue who Pozzo would get to replace him, it would just be some Mediterranean journeyman currently managing in Iran or some shit. 

4 hours ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Looks like Adama is about to join Spurs.

I'm looking forward to being able to arrogantly write him off based on a 30 second match of the day clip like fans of his previous clubs.

In fairness he is a pretty limited footballer. Incredible athlete. But not much else.

54 minutes ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

Jesus fucking Christ. 3-0 at home to Norwich. Good thing we didn't have to play Burnley in this supposedly season defining week, today would have been the final nail in the coffin.

Ranieri has not improved anything since he arrived but I genuinely have no clue who Pozzo would get to replace him, it would just be some Mediterranean journeyman currently managing in Iran or some shit. 

Allardyce is available?

31 minutes ago, Chindie said:

In fairness he is a pretty limited footballer. Incredible athlete. But not much else.

His touch and balance are good, no? Just his decision making and final pass. Conte has worked wonders before with players, I wouldn’t be surprised if by next season he's one of the best fullbacks in the league.

not sure how a ref running is managing to be so funny

also

fucking hell

I guess when someone exhibits clear anger issues when watching football it probably means...he has clear anger issues. It's not 'passion', it's unhealthy. 

Arsenal fan TV star ‘DT’ has described his assault and kidnap on his former girlfriend as ‘nine minutes of madness’ after his prison sentence was tripled. 

A very long 9 minutes...

Liam Goodenough was initially sentenced to 12 months in prison and given a 10-year restraining order after being convicted of stalking involving serious alarm or distress, and kidnapping.

A statement released by the Attorney General’s Office revealed that Goodenough ‘stalked his former partner as she went on a date, jealously sending the victim’s brother messages threatening suicide and demanding to know the location of the victim.

‘Using a tracking feature on her phone, Goodenough drove to the hotel the victim was staying at and verbally abused her, as well as assaulting her companion. He then proceeded to photograph her in a state of undress.

‘Goodenough dragged the victim out of the hotel room to his car, suggesting he had a knife and that her son was in the vehicle. However, when she realised that her son was not in the car she tried to escape. A bystander intervened and the victim was able to get out of the car, while Goodenough escaped.’

The one-year prison sentence was referred to the Court of Appeal by the Solicitor General, Alex Chalk QC MP and was deemed ‘unduly lenient’. Goodenough’s sentence has now been increased to three years in prison.

In his statement released on Thursday evening, Goodenough wrote: ‘I know a lot of you would have seen the news about me this week and I know I have let a lot of you down but there are always two sides to a story and mine will be told in good time.

‘After months of receiving help and guidance I now know I was suffering from a mental breakdown and on that night I simply snapped.

‘This is not me condoning my actions I am just trying to paint a picture of what was going on in my life at that time. All I ask from everyone is that you read the key parts of the report and not the sensationalised headline.

‘I cannot apologise enough to my ex-partner for putting her through this. An eight year relationship will now be remembered for nine minutes of madness and I will forever be sorry for it.

‘I want everyone to remember the innocent ones in this are my children. I am in regular contact with them but my actions have turned their lives upside down. All I can do now is serve my time and be a better father and man for it.

‘I have also heard about a statement that’s been released from someone that I called a friend, again I will address this and its content in due course too!

‘I’m sorry for letting you all down, I do not deserve anything from anyone but just know I am sorry.

‘Take care and see you in a few years. DT.’