IGNORED

Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

Dyche has said in todays press conference our application is because we have ten fit players who aren't injured or in Covid protocol.*

Some Watford fans are livid at the idea of postponing the match, thereby setting the benchmark for short memories at about a month.

*From memory, of the first team squad, five are injured, one at AFCON, one transferred to Newcastle.)

On 16/01/2022 at 15:48, Waggo said:

Arsenal had one Covid case though I believe.  The rest is injuries, suspensions and players away at AFCON.  It absolutley makes a mockery of the competition that they have been allowed a postponement today.

Whatever the result now this has easily been the performance of the season from Leeds.  We have absolutely battered a top 4 side away from home. :hat:

If we can just hold out now it has the feel of a real game changing moment for the season.🤞

Arsenal let another player go out on loan to Udinese today too. Do they have players back from AFCON ? 

The situation with postponements is getting farcical.

I can understand if there's a genuine Covid outbreak at a club or if the protocols dictate that you cant realistically put out a side. But that shouldn't take into account other injuries/players on international duty/suspensions - if you're short because of those combined, that sucks, but you should be getting on with it.

I understand why clubs are being cute with it, but it's getting silly and making a mockery of the genuine need for postponements in current times.

The problem is that by making clubs play over the Christmas period, some are making the argument that the injuries are Covid related because they've been rushed back fro injury / played too many games in a short period because of the lack of cover.

It's not an argument that I have a massive amount of time for, but one that I concede has some validity.

(Dyche had the example of Matej Vydra who was scheduled to have a hernia op over Christmas, but caught Covid so it was cancelled.  So technically, he's not out due to Covid but if he wasn't, he'd have had his operation and be nearing the bench.)

9 hours ago, Plissken said:

Burnley vs Watford off.

Next up, Arsenal.  They don't have problems right now, do they?

I've got no idea why so many Watford fans on twitter are moaning about this. A) it's one game closer to having Sarr back and B) we would've played Saturday, Tuesday, Friday. Its done us a favour and hopefully now we won't shit the bed against Norwich (we will).

Probably because Burnley are one of the teams they ‘should’ be beating and especially a weakened Burnley. If it was Man City cancelling the game they wouldn’t give a shit. 

But yeah football fans are idiots.

5 hours ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

I've got no idea why so many Watford fans on twitter are moaning about this.

Because “we” should playing “your” weakened team but “you” should not be playing “my” weakened team.

I can’t wait for the gnashing of teeth by the managers/clubs when they  have to play the games that have been postponed over a short period?

Would forfeit have been a better option to stop fixture congestion?  If so I wonder how many clubs who have postponed games taken that option?

6 hours ago, Plissken said:

Because “we” should playing “your” weakened team but “you” should not be playing “my” weakened team.

Haha spot on. The turn around in Arsenal fans attitude from when Liverpool called off the semi final to when they called off the North London Derby was a thing of beauty.

On 06/11/2021 at 14:02, Hamus said:

Are Chelsea actually that good this year? They are being lauded a lot, but they've lost to Man City and Liverpool should have beaten them.

Apart from that they've played pretty crappy teams. Yes that includes early doors Arsenal and Palace.

Once they get tested later in the year it will be interesting to see if they can continue.

Champions League win blah, blah. Liverpool won it back in the day with Traore, and Chelsea have bought it before too.

Not convinced by them yet.

On 06/11/2021 at 14:05, Plissken said:

Yes, they are.  They aren't spectacular, but they get the job done.

On 06/11/2021 at 14:12, layten said:

Are the current premier league leaders and champions of Europe any good asks man on the internet.

No.

They don’t.

Not really.

15 hours ago, Chindie said:

Villa sign a backup goalkeeper in Robin Olsen.

And bizarrely we're being (apparently credibly?) linked to Luis Suarez. Which would be a mistake IMO.

Thought the Suarez one would be one Villa fans could get their teeth into?

😛

There's a bit on BBC about covid postponements and Arteta's comment is rather telling (my emphasis):

We didn't have the players necessary to put a squad out to compete in a Premier League match, that is 100%

Hopefully something is done and perhaps for a laugh the PL and clubs will actually be transparent about it. <chortle>

So there an interesting post from theatheletic regarding Liverpool's postponement of the first round of the carabao cup. 

Reports are also that Liverpool submitted their request for postponement before the results of the second round of tests returned.

All Seems perfectly above board...

1 hour ago, humdrum said:

So there an interesting post from theatheletic regarding Liverpool's postponement of the first round of the carabao cup. 

Reports are also that Liverpool submitted their request for postponement before the results of the second round of tests returned.

All Seems perfectly above board...

Fancy copying it in a post so non subscribers can read it?