IGNORED

Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

2 hours ago, Stopharage said:

I watched both AFCON games yesterday and the standard of the commentary was so poor, it had me wishing for Sam Matterface. 

it was truly that bad. 

Listening to Football Weekly today and it was briefly touched upon, it seems a lot of broadcasters are doing the bare minimum to cover the group stages and the media presence will ramp up during the knockouts.  I’m not sure that’s an amazing situation but it speaks volumes about how we take blanket football coverage for granted. I get AFCON is good for Europe timewise and there’s a large African diaspora in the UK but I’d imagine the cost of covering a tournament so far from home has got to be enormous. 

2 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

I get AFCON is good for Europe timewise and there’s a large African diaspora in the UK but I’d imagine the cost of covering a tournament so far from home has got to be enormous. 

There should be an official broadcast feed for most major sporting events, which global broadcasters will take. Depending on the broadcaster/rights bought they can elect to rent studios etc on the ground and decide how many staff they send out. Some will simply use the feeds and do the commentary remotely, as was the case for a lot of the recent Euros and why there was a lot of kerfuffle around how much of Christian Eriksen’s heart attack was shown on live coverage; most broadcasters including our own took a feed they didn’t control (why they didn’t just cut back to the studio is another question)

Moreover, Sky used to cover the Champions League out of a stack of portacabins in Osterley (used to walk past them on the way to our weekly work 5-a-side) They’d have ‘proper’ coverage for some of the knockout rounds. But there was no way they’d finance sending a commentary team, plus producers, runners and the rest for every single game.

BeIn, for another example, do similar for the Premier League: take the world feed and make out its their own with some snazzy graphics and Richard Keys’ stupid face. But their pictures are the same as every other broadcaster on the world feed stream.

Just now, MikeBeaver said:

Ref's fucking hate you lot tonight don't they !

Not watched Villa play Manchester United before? This always happens. Fernandes got a penalty a couple of seasons back for treading on our defender in the box.

*Completely manic laughter*

I know people go on about squad depth and Bielsa pushing players too hard and preferrimg small squads etc, but we only play one striker. Greenwood is fifth choice behind Bamford, Rodrigo, Gelhardt and Taylor Roberts. This is actually crazy.

11 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Fucking hell, they really don’t want to allow this goal do they? Arseholes. 

It was so damn obvious, to the point of being hilarious. You can almost see the ref re-assuring the utd players that VAR is checking it thoroughly to find an infringement.

Seriously though, I think the VAR instruction should come from the ref, where the ref says what it is they are concerned about and that is it. Was it handball? Was it offside? No, ok, move on. And they should put a time limit on the review. If nothing is found within a minute at most then close it, because any potential error is obviously not clear and obvious.

1 hour ago, BeeJay said:

If nothing is found within a minute at most then close it, because any potential error is obviously not clear and obvious.

I agree with his. If something is taking so long, then it surely can't fall under 'clear and obvious'.

That said, the United one last night looked straight away like it needed to go to VAR, and much as they dallied, they did get it right.

12 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

I agree with his. If something is taking so long, then it's surely can't fall under 'clear and obvious'.

That said, the United one last night looked straight away like it needed to go to VAR, and much as they dallied, they did get it right.

Agreed. I wonder if they started with looking at the handball and offside to give themselves time to get the ruling right on the obstruction?

Cavani ran straight into a Villa player and fell over.   Within the rules because the player who initiates contact can claim obstruction, but now every coach in the Premier League will have seen that and will be coaching their players to do the same as a little "insurance policy" every time they concede a free kick in an area where the ball is likely to be crossed in.  

This is what VAR has reduced the game to. It was only a couple of weeks ago when Milan got denied an equaliser because Girouds hair was offside while he was lying down on the deck after falling over. Chelsea fans couldn't even celebrate properly when Kovacic scored a volley from outside the area because VAR had to ruin the moment.  It's shit. It's not being used for the reasons which were argued for during the debate over it's introduction, it's now a forensic tool used to demonstrate why the officials shouldn't rule out a goal.   Fuck VAR. 

16 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

Cavani ran straight into a Villa player and fell over.   Within the rules because the player who initiates contact can claim obstruction, but now every coach in the Premier League will have seen that and will be coaching their players to do the same as a little "insurance policy" every time they concede a free kick in an area where the ball is likely to be crossed in.

The law is indeed an ass, but that's not on VAR. There are a fair few laws need looking at in football, no question.

17 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

Cavani ran straight into a Villa player and fell over.

That's a simplistic view.

Cavani's watching the ball all the way, while Ramsey is watching Cavani the whole time and sidesteps into his path. It's a clear obstruction.

@GamesGamesGames But VAR is the conduit for exposing all of these laws as being an ass.  Football always relied on the spirit of the law, now it's the letter of the law and like any competitive environment it's full of people looking to see how far they can bend it.  The thin end of the wedge arguments were right. 

@Fry Crayola Cavani totally knew what he was doing.  He did the right thing from a Manchester United point of view, but the argument I'm making isn't about the individual here, it's about where the game is as a result of VAR.  Players are going to do whatever it takes to win, but the interpretation of the rules is having a negative impact on the game, complaints about decisions have increased in volume since the introduction of technology. 

3 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

@GamesGamesGames But VAR is the conduit for exposing all of these laws as being an ass.  Football always relied on the spirit of the law, now it's the letter of the law and like any competitive environment it's full of people looking to see how far they can bend it.  The thin end of the wedge arguments were right. 

I get what you're saying, but I'd rather VAR shine an even brighter light on the problems with various laws, and have a chance at them being amended, than it not being around and their being a greater chance of things going unchanged.

I mean, it might not happen, but surely it makes it more likely? I know if VAR ever comes to the aid of making a 'tactical' foul, stopping a breakaway, a straight red I'll be cock-a-fucking-hoop about it.

VAR was obviously looking at offsides first which is ultimately not a subjective descision. If one of the players was offside then it's nice and easy and avoids controversy (lol). After that they probably looked at the potential handball and then looked at the foul which is always subjective, both of which are more subjective. Yeah it took longer than it should have but they got it right which is what we want isn't it?

The fact that this thread isn't full of Liverpool supporters bemoaning Man Utd getting a dodgy var decision go their way pretty much sums it up :coffee:

I've only seen the incident this morning and I'm with @Fry Crayolaon this - it's a clear foul/obstruction. Ramsey has no interest in the ball, his focus is purely on Cavani, whereas Cavani is trying to follow the flight of the free-kick. I don't think he would have got there anyway, but Ramsey made sure.

I disagree with @Stoppy2000though, I think something that blatent isn't going to go unpunished on another occasion. I think the 'he ran into him argument' would've had some merit if Ramsey was at least facing the goal, not the player (and in that scenario I can see that players might get away with it.)

I suppose an interesting question is whether that would've been looked at at all if they weren't looking for the offside first and foremost?