IGNORED

Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

Half time in the Man City game he asked Alisson to give his close personal friend and Covid-magnet Jair Bolsonaro a call. One private jet trip later and his perma-riddled arse was down the training ground coughing on everyone one by one.

18 minutes ago, carlito said:

I wonder how long the Liverpool training ground will be shut now the postponement is official.

It’s open now, got an FA Cup tie to prepare for.

Klopp is obsessed with us, now at the point where we have to rearrange games because Liverpool can't fulfil a fixture that isn't even against us.

Spoiler

Liverpool vs Arsenal rearranged for a Thursday, which means the Arsenal vs Burnley league game after shifts from a Saturday to a Sunday.

Dropped my Athletic sub when there was a notable shift from really interesting articles to much more clickbait-style stories.

I like the idea but some of the ‘journalists’ are stealing a living. Or not, given the site’s apparent financial strife.

14 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Not surprising they must be haemorrhaging money and their constant offers means almost no one must be paying full price for a subscription.

Can’t be doing too badly if they’ve paid $550m for it…

Yeah I like it. As I've said before, the value probably depends a lot on who your club's writer is. I think I get my £1 a month from Phil Hay's work, and that's before all the tactical stuff they do. 

Mentioned in the Villa thread, but Coutinho has signed on loan for Aston Villa until the end of the season.  Seems like a direct replacement for Jack Grealish on paper, I'm sceptical about the whole affair but if twitter/reddit/VillaTalk are anything to go by then I'm in a massive minority. 

He’s costing less than Barkley did in wages apparently and can’t be any worse than him or Drinkwater I hope he does well but he hasn’t played consistently since his loan to Bayern a couple of years ago.

I think it's a fantastic signing for Villa and it will get their fans excited. It's a 6 month loan, so if it works out and a Coutinho/Ings/Watkins combo really gets firing it'll be great to watch. If things don't work out, then it's only a 6 months loan fee lost. I reckon there is still a player there though and he'll be a success.

Its a brilliant signing. I dont think he's getting enough credit. His record is still decent in recent seasons. 

Looking on his appearances, it looks like he's only missed 3 quarters of a season recently due to a knee injury.

A player I never thought I'd see in the claret and blue. 6 months loan, obviously a step up in quality even if he's on the wane from his best (and the figures suggest he's still a very, very good attacking player), it's a bit of a coup. Biggest signing I can recall certainly.

Now get a CB, top level DM and a LB that can hack Gerrard's style.

2 hours ago, Azrael said:

FFS would have liked him back at Liverpool

Nah, we only got better when he left. Obviously he was a great player for us at the time but he’s not the right fit now, no way. 

Coutinho can be as good or as bad as he wants to be, he was the very definition of a confidence player at Liverpool. You could see him shrink over a couple of weeks when he hit bad form.

I don't think an injury will prevent him from being physically able to play in the style he does, he never replied in physicality.

If he takes the opportunity seriously he'll be an excellent addition.

I agree, he wouldn’t get into our first team so he’d have time on the bench and I don’t think that’s good for a confidence player like him. If Villa build the team around him somewhat and he gets confident he could be amazing for them.

I very much like that Villa have potentially made a far better signing than Newcastle will manage this month.

Coutinho allowed Klopp to properly rebuild Liverpool, so for that alone wish him well and hope he proves successful at Villa. He’s a lovely player to watch and capable of scoring absolute pearlers.

Millwall vs Palace today live on ITV with a 12:45 kick-off.

If you enjoy watching games with an atmosphere, this will be bouncing, as it's a proper South London derby.

While both clubs have more immediate rivals (West Ham for us, Brighton for the Eagles), it's safe to say it's two clubs who do not get along.

As for insider knowledge, we've only been able to name 15 players for the last two games (thnx Covid), including a 15 year old Zak Lovelace. We have some retuning players, but it's a punt on what our team will be. Jed Wallace is the player to watch out for if he makes it. I've been pleasantly surprised we've kept hold of him in the last couple of transfer windows, although he might be off to Besiktas in the summer. Benik Afobe used to be 'the next big thing' at Arsenal, and we'll launch all corners & free kicks at 6'6 Jake Cooper. He's no stranger to headed FA cup goals.

5 minutes ago, Pants McSkill said:

Millwall vs Palace today live on ITV with a 12:45 kick-off.

If you enjoy watching games with an atmosphere, this will be bouncing, as it's a proper South London derby.

While both clubs have more immediate rivals (West Ham for us, Brighton for the Eagles), it's safe to say it's two clubs who do not get along.

As for insider knowledge, we've only been able to name 15 players for the last two games (thnx Covid), including a 15 year old Zak Lovelace. We have some retuning players, but it's a punt on what our team will be. Jed Wallace is the player to watch out for if he makes it. I've been pleasantly surprised we've kept hold of him in the last couple of transfer windows, although he might be off to Besiktas in the summer. Benik Afobe used to be 'the next big thing' at Arsenal, and we'll launch all corners & free kicks at 6'6 Jake Cooper. He's no stranger to headed FA cup goals.

Looking forward to this game. Jed Wallace is a good player, is George Saville still with you? Also always have a soft spot for Afobe. 

18 minutes ago, Pants McSkill said:

He is, and has been great since we got him back from Middlesbrough. I'm with you on Afobe too, love the way he doesn't really run past players, more that he runs through them.

Millwall did so well out of that saville deal. £8m seemed crazy, and then you got him back for next to nothing I think. 

He was in with the Wolves fans when we played West Ham in our first season back while at Millwall, I expect he enjoyed that win given his connections.