IGNORED

Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

15 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Townsend got loads of shit over the years, but he's a pundit I always enjoy listening to. He's got a really uncanny ability of gauging the swing of a game and being pretty spot on with what he thinks will likely happen in the next 10 minutes. He got dragged down by the generally appalling standard of ITV's coverage.

On the other hand if Karen Carney comes on the radio I'm often tempted to open the car door and just abandon the vehicle, whether it's stationary or otherwise. She seems like a nice person, but is an expert at just stating the bloody obvious during long, meandering monologues that sort of just peter out. 

Agree on both counts. Townsend was done a dirty by that poxy tactics truck. He’s good value.

Carney obviously didn’t deserve the whole Leeds thing last season, but that aside she’s about as banal as a pundit can be.

TFS regulars Emma Saunders and Lynsey Hooper are both good; they read games well and back it up by being relaxed and entertaining in their delivery. On that note, Kelly Cates is a fine presenter, and glad to see Alex Scott succeeding at the BBC, especially given the bullshit around her being appointed Football Focus’ presenter.

Also, really like Ian Wright. Think early in his TV career he was often sidelined but find him earnest with his input and an enjoyable addition to a studio team.

McCoist is only good option. 

Studio pundit wise I do like Peter Crouch, sure I'm bias but just think he's a top guy. 

I remember during a World Cup BBC offered alt commentary on some games from Scott Mills and his Radio co-host. Much better than regular comms. 

Emma Hayes, is she the Chelsea Women's coach? Her in the studio offering opinion, not sure what she is like at commentary but I enjoy listening to her at half time and full time. She talks about actual tactics, which is novel for most studio pundits.

8 hours ago, Adrock said:

Emma Hayes, is she the Chelsea Women's coach? Her in the studio offering opinion, not sure what she is like at commentary but I enjoy listening to her at half time and full time. She talks about actual tactics, which is novel for most studio pundits.

Yeah she's been manager of Cheslea FC Women roughly forever.

I mean, can we just leave the description as "She's survived as a Chelsea manager for nearly a decade".

10 hours ago, scruffycat said:

Interesting nobody has mentioned Gary Neville, I don’t watch much live football these days, has he fallen from grace?

He's the reason we're having this conversation lol.  Was practically cuming into the mic yesterday when Chelsea scored against Liverpool.

The easiest way to explain the love for McCoist is just to listen to Keown, Shearer, Murphy or Hoddle. They make being paid to talk about football sound like actual torture. 

Also if he says something wrong he isn't afraid to take the hit and admit it. 

Can you skip back on iPlayer when listening to a radio show? Keep it about a minute in the buffer?

When I worked in Ibiza many moons ago, quite often we would have the radio on for the commentary of Prem games, with the live feed coming through their Spanish Satellite setup, it was of course delayed, although I think the other way round then, the video feed was ahead of the commentary.

I enjoy McCoist, Emma Hayes, Ian Wright, Jamie Carragher, Gary Neville on comms/pundit duties but the fact that not even the people itt can agree that Lee Dixon is terrible shows how subjective it all is.

Even someone like Matterface can be ok on radio, but make you want to fire him into the sun when he does ITV.

Personally I prefer pundits who seem to at least enjoy themselves over the usual misery guts. Give me Micah Richards any day over Danny Murphy.

I do enjoy the broadcast/punditry aspects of the coverage and I can't really get behind the mentality of "I just turn the game on a minute before kick-off and prefer crowd noise" I must say. I find it interesting in all sports, even when I think they are talking nonsense. It is entertainment at the end of the day, some people take this stuff too seriously.

One thing, which maybe applies to all teams, but which you really notice with your own club (in my case West Ham) is how many basic stats about your team that comms gets slightly or wholly wrong or mixed up.

I don't know if that is because West Ham have historically not had the same attention as bigger clubs or if they are bullshitting across the board because I don't care or know enough to recognise when stats for other teams are incorrect but it really sticks out for your own team and makes you wonder what else they are getting totally wrong.

47 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

Even someone like Matterface can be ok on radio, but make you want to fire him into the sun when he does ITV.

Personally I prefer pundits who seem to at least enjoy themselves over the usual misery guts. Give me Micah Richards any day over Danny Murphy.

Totally agree with the second sentence, Richards isn't particularly insightful but does have a genuine love of the game and isn't afraid to challenge other pundits' opinions. Some of those professional contrarians, such as Keane, are great in fits and starts but become a bit trying after a while. 

As for Matterface, I have to disagree. The guy is appalling. You just know that for every game he has a load of puns at the ready, which are incredibly forced and tenuous. I'm waiting for Watford's Daniel Bachmann to tip a shot over the bar, just so Matterface can finally utter his 'Bachmann Turner Overbar' line he's had bubbling away for a few weeks. 

Just to add to this discussion, I find it short sighted that Sky thinks you have to have played the game at the top level to have anything interesting to say.  I enjoy listening to things like Tifo Football much more than Paul Merson, who is a bit of a fucking idiot.

1 hour ago, ChewMagma said:

He's also as far as I can tell the first former City player to transition successfully to broadcasting in the Premier League era (McManaman doesn't count) breaking into the former Liverpool / United / Arsenal / Chelsea / England captains players turned pundits who dominate UK TV coverage. Jermaine Jenas at least sounds happy to be there as well which puts him one up on Murphy although considering his career trajectory I'm not entirely sure how he ended up with such a high profile on the BBC. 

6 hours ago, Stigweard said:

He's the reason we're having this conversation lol.  Was practically cuming into the mic yesterday when Chelsea scored against Liverpool.

You see, this is why fans accusing of bias are wrong.  I watched the highlights and even though I knew that there was some kind of memorable goal, when that volley went in, I exclaimed an involuntary "Oooh!".  I'd imagine a commentator in the moment of a live broadcast is going to make some kind of gargling sound rather than broadcasting a very loud "Fucking hell!" to the nation.

Chris Sutton seems to be mining the professional contrarian seam to the point of actively trolling people.  At least you get the feeling Keane or Souness actually believe what they are saying, whereas you can tell Sutton is just being an arrogant twat.

I can never last long enough on his commentary to remember his name because it winds me up so much, but there is one guy who simply stops describing the action as the ball is passed around just outside the penalty area and simply goes "and...and...and...and" at increasingly louder volumes until the shot comes in and thuds into the advertising hoardings.

But then I've ranted about that and the 2-1 syllable tic before.

18 minutes ago, Plissken said:

You see, this is why fans accusing of bias are wrong.  I watched the highlights and even though I knew that there was some kind of memorable goal, when that volley went in, I exclaimed an involuntary "Oooh!".  I'd imagine a commentator in the moment of a live broadcast is going to make some kind of gargling sound rather than broadcasting a very loud "Fucking hell!" to the nation.

He didn't jizz his pants for the that goal, he did it for the 2nd, where he was going so nuts he blew his mic. He was then so desperate for a ball to roll in about minute later, again making those noises.

Are you telling me you cant see the difference between the Salah goal (which was also an excellent goal) and that 2nd Chelsea goal in how both commentators reacted? Its night and day.

I'd much rather not have someone with bias towards or against Liverpool commentate the games. As I've said, I think Neville is great on the panels and the pre/post game analysis. He's really good at that, but there's a clear bias in his reactions during the heat of a game.

13 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

He didn't jizz his pants for the that goal, he did it for the 2nd, where he was going so nuts he blew his mic. He was then so desperate for a ball to roll in about minute later, again making those noises.

Are you telling me you cant see the difference between the Salah goal (which was also an excellent goal) and that 2nd Chelsea goal in how both commentators reacted? Its night and day.

I'd much rather not have someone with bias towards or against Liverpool commentate the games. As I've said, I think Neville is great on the panels and the pre/post game analysis. He's really good at that, but there's a clear bias in his reactions during the heat of a game.

Neville, you kind of expect that. It’s Tyler being biased that’s irritating. 

6 minutes ago, davidcotton said:

Neville, you kind of expect that. It’s Tyler being biased that’s irritating. 

To be fair that can be quite amusing sometimes, every time Liverpool scored in the 5-0 at Old Trafford they both sounded like their dog had just died. But lets face it Tyler is the only one who is going anywhere anytime soon, unless Neville suddenly ends up in charge of United he along with Carragher is going to be part of the Sky coverage for decades to come. 

1 hour ago, Plissken said:

(filmed in finest potato vision)