IGNORED

Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

AFCON 2021 was supposed to take place in June / July of this year but much like the Qatar World Cup had to be moved due to the climate in Cameroon. First to January / February of 2021 then to Jan Feb 2022 due to COVID. The 2023 tournament is supposed to take place in June and July as well so circumstances are what has forced its timing this time.

6 hours ago, Waggo said:

100% agree with this from Ian Wright with regards to how the AFCON is treated by European football in general.

Clubs and coaches know about AFCON well in advance of signing African based players, so the complaining about it now is just disrespectful and I would go so far as to say there is more than a whiff of racism about it all as well.

In Watford's case, I think we are within our rights to be miffed about the way Nigeria have gone about the Emmanuel Dennis business. Not only did they miss the deadline to tell the club, his last international game was in 2019. 

6 hours ago, Plissken said:

Speaking of blatant self interest that needs calling out.

24th Dec 2021: Pep Guardiola speaks out about player welfare.  "The problem is the fixtures, the calendar, 365 days a year, the international teams with huge competitions and a lot of games... The players have two to three weeks holiday in the summer, then the season (starts) again - it's too much. Today managers talked with the Premier League and broadcasters and decided what is the best for everyone. The welfare of players should be the most important... This is the only country to not accept five substitutions, just three. Why? We want to protect the players, so bring five substitutions. It's much better for the amount of games, but the Premier League and clubs decided 'no'."

26th Dec 2021: Man City play Leicester.  In the 90 minutes, Pep Guardiola makes one substitution.

29th Dec 2021: Man City play Brentford. In the 90 minutes, Pep Guardiola made no substitutions.

They should make all Premier League managers do a season in the EFL. See how they enjoy that!

7 hours ago, Plissken said:

24th Dec 2021: Pep Guardiola speaks out about player welfare.  "The problem is the fixtures, the calendar, 365 days a year, the international teams with huge competitions and a lot of games... The players have two to three weeks holiday in the summer, then the season (starts) again - it's too much. Today managers talked with the Premier League and broadcasters and decided what is the best for everyone. The welfare of players should be the most important... This is the only country to not accept five substitutions, just three. Why? We want to protect the players, so bring five substitutions. It's much better for the amount of games, but the Premier League and clubs decided 'no'."

26th Dec 2021: Man City play Leicester.  In the 90 minutes, Pep Guardiola makes one substitution.

29th Dec 2021: Man City play Brentford. In the 90 minutes, Pep Guardiola made no substitutions.

That's not really a great argument and it came up initially when football restarted again. The point was that having more substitutions available when teams were in control of games meant players could be spared a few more minutes - managers were never going to make rafts of substitutions when game are in the balance. 

11 hours ago, Plissken said:

Lets not pretend that the smaller clubs who keep voting down the idea of five subs aren't also acting in their own self-interest.  The bigger teams want to be able to make more subs as their deeper squads allow them to make more tactical changes in matches.  The smaller clubs don't want to hand any percieved advantage to the bigger clubs, even if it means sacrificing the welfare of every player in the league.  All the better that the bigger clubs, who play in Europe and have to play many more games, are more likely to suffer injuries due to players being overplayed.

1 hour ago, Adrock said:

Garth, fucking, Crooks.

1008179160_Screenshot_20211231-0836372.thumb.png.c2d258e6e4c21312363d880e8f98aaf4.png

That forward line is a joke.

Came to mention this, no Salah is one thing but what's with the formation? TAA as one of the 3 CBs? 

If I paid my licence fee I'd be annoyed they pay this guy for his "expertise". 

I think it's pretty clear that the reason the BBC keep Garth Crooks around is mainly for comedy value.  His consistently bizarre left-field Team Of The Week picks are a source of endless entertainment to me. He casts his eye over the week's games like an Agetha Christie detective looking for the clues that the other pundits have missed, and decides that, against all logic, the guy who's had a pretty average, anonymous game is actually the key to the whole victory.  I swear he's picked players who didn't even play that week before.

That said, it is worth noting that this is a team of the year, not a team of the season so far.  Antonio is probably in there for his performances in the second half of last season.  This is why there's no way Jota should be in there, for example, and probably why De Gea doesn't quite deserve the goalkeeper spot. Salah should be in either way, obviously.

10 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

Lets not pretend that the smaller clubs who keep voting down the idea of five subs aren't also acting in their own self-interest.  The bigger teams want to be able to make more subs as their deeper squads allow them to make more tactical changes in matches.  The smaller clubs don't want to hand any percieved advantage to the bigger clubs, even if it means sacrificing the welfare of every player in the league.  All the better that the bigger clubs, who play in Europe and have to play many more games, are more likely to suffer injuries due to players being overplayed.

The whole 'player welfare' thing is a red herring. There's nothing stopping the bigger clubs stockpiling enough talent to field top-class teams in every competition using rotation. Of course there is self-interest from all parties involved but the more fresh legs that the big clubs can throw on each game, the more uneven the playing field becomes as naturally their subs will be of a higher standard. I'm not looking for some kind of NFL-style relegation-free fake utopia but anyone who doesn't think this change would benefit the big clubs is kidding themselves. 

43 minutes ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

The whole 'player welfare' thing is a red herring. There's nothing stopping the bigger clubs stockpiling enough talent to field top-class teams in every competition using rotation. Of course there is self-interest from all parties involved but the more fresh legs that the big clubs can throw on each game, the more uneven the playing field becomes as naturally their subs will be of a higher standard. I'm not looking for some kind of NFL-style relegation-free fake utopia but anyone who doesn't think this change would benefit the big clubs is kidding themselves. 

I literally said that in my post. My point isn't that it wouldn't benefit the bigger clubs, my point is that everyone is arguing for their own self-interest. None of the club's give a shit about player welfare.

Lukaku seems insecure and just a bit lacking in awareness.

Loyalty in football from players to clubs when it isn't reciprocated is mostly stupid, I'm not sure why players declare love for clubs while literally admitting 'I'd only have stayed if i got a contract extension', ie more money because he had 3 years left on his contract. What a contradictory guy. I did buy the media narrative of him returning to Chelsea because he was a boyhood fan, Drogba was his idol, he wanted to do the same, like this was the chance to go back he was desperate for.

I love the dramatic poetic passion of Italian football fans. We'd never get a sign like that in the fog from some British fans when a player moves from Stoke to Brighton or something. yeah Lukaku's goals helped win Inter the title sure so the drama is sonewhat earnt. 

It's a weird thing where a player moving for more money, a new challenge, or to fulfil a childhood dream is seen as them spurning fans. 

9 hours ago, Adrock said:

Garth, fucking, Crooks.

1008179160_Screenshot_20211231-0836372.thumb.png.c2d258e6e4c21312363d880e8f98aaf4.png

That forward line is a joke.

8 hours ago, ChewMagma said:

I'm a West Ham fan and even I wouldn't put Antonio in there. Has he watched him play at all in the last 2 months?

8 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

Crooks is, and always has been, a lunatic.

It's his opinion. What's yours?

We do a man of the match thing on my team forum. Rarely do I vote for the same player as the majority.

Yeah the ultra rich clubs whining has been incredibly funny actually. In Scotland we were just getting on with games (until the winter break started early after boxing day). Meant you had, for example, St Mirren and Celtic calling up quite a few wee boys who have been playing the regional leagues in the 5th tier (on loan in at mirren's case, in the B team in Celtic's case), suddenly being thrown into the starting lineup in the prem. Just get on with it.

Rangers still oddly immune to Covid though. Funny that.

18 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

Interesting figures here

You're still only allowed the same number of players.  COVID doesn't care if your bench "cost" an arbitrary amount.  For a start, Chelsea's bench is that high because it contained a lot of players coming back from COVID and injuries who couldn't play the whole 90. At least partly because they're possibly the only team by this point not to have matches postponed.

Have West Ham had to start 4 central defenders in a match and a front line with an average shirt number of 66 in a match yet?

Thirty year ago today, I was standing in the North Bank of Roots Hall and saw my mighty Southend United thrash Newcastle United 4-0 and go top (briefly) of the old second Division, but eventually finished 12th that season.

Kevin Keegan was their manager back then and remember shaking his hand as he and the players got off their coach outside the ground.

Think it is one of the highlights of supporting the club.

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

Have West Ham had to start 4 central defenders in a match and a front line with an average shirt number of 66 in a match yet?

We don't even have four central defenders and no recognised front line :D  

What a luxury that would be.