IGNORED

Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

I feel Liverpool lost that match more than Leicester won it with how poor our finishing was, but credit to the boys in blue, they defended well when they needed to.

I'm more annoyed right now that Liverpool's scoring in consecutive games record has gone though :angry:

Very high chance I'll regret this but good to see Lamptey starting and being Brighton's best player for the first 10 minutes.  Brave decision to dodge the Chelsea loan academy career path in favour of trying to earn playing time elsewhere but it seems to be working out for him.

Yeah really good to see a player pull away like that for the good of their career, wonder if we’ll see The midfielder on loan at palace do that soon (I know his name I just can’t seem to spell it).

Going on loan worked well for Mount though I guess, Lamptey was never really going to get in the first team.  

Well it's always a risk. It's not even always talent, it's a case of "peaking" as a youngster just when there's a space in a team for an opportunity.  There's no particular reason to believe Nathaniel Chalobah is any less talented than Trevor but the times they got their opportunities in the first team have worked out for Trev but Nath ended up moving to Watford after playing maybe 10 games in a decade.

44 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Chelsea wouldn’t have scored if Maupay defended properly instead of grabbing Lukaku and trying to buy a free kick when he’s accidentally elbowed in the head when Lukaku goes to shrug him off.

In the opening game of the season, Ben Mee scored in exactly the same way because Maupay was more interested in diving for the free kick than stopping the run. 

7 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Is there a better league? 

For a title race? The Championship.

The Premier League’s biggest narrative this season now looks like being whether the world’s richest club will go down.

100% agree with this from Ian Wright with regards to how the AFCON is treated by European football in general.

Clubs and coaches know about AFCON well in advance of signing African based players, so the complaining about it now is just disrespectful and I would go so far as to say there is more than a whiff of racism about it all as well.

Speaking of blatant self interest that needs calling out.

24th Dec 2021: Pep Guardiola speaks out about player welfare.  "The problem is the fixtures, the calendar, 365 days a year, the international teams with huge competitions and a lot of games... The players have two to three weeks holiday in the summer, then the season (starts) again - it's too much. Today managers talked with the Premier League and broadcasters and decided what is the best for everyone. The welfare of players should be the most important... This is the only country to not accept five substitutions, just three. Why? We want to protect the players, so bring five substitutions. It's much better for the amount of games, but the Premier League and clubs decided 'no'."

26th Dec 2021: Man City play Leicester.  In the 90 minutes, Pep Guardiola makes one substitution.

29th Dec 2021: Man City play Brentford. In the 90 minutes, Pep Guardiola made no substitutions.

2 hours ago, Waggo said:

100% agree with this from Ian Wright with regards to how the AFCON is treated by European football in general.

Clubs and coaches know about AFCON well in advance of signing African based players, so the complaining about it now is just disrespectful and I would go so far as to say there is more than a whiff of racism about it all as well.

I agree with Wright but at the same time it’s the only big competition that is organised slap bang in the middle of when all the top 5 European leagues are in full swing. Maybe FIFA etc should show it more respect and allow a break for it so this isn’t a problem.

The current system forces players to have to take a break from their club football which isn’t a problem for European international players.