Jump to content
IGNORED

Football Thread 2021/2022


Plissken
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, The Fox said:

 

??? Jumping out of the way when you see a late lunging tackle coming head-on is a completely standard reflex reaction and happens all the time.

 

Well exactly, whether the tackle was about to be fair or not he was always going to hit and jump as all players do in that kind of tackle - it was the suggestion he moved his leg to avoid it being broken like some ninja thus preventing his leg being broken.

 

Robertsons tackle equally could have been a leg breaker as planted foot and nearly held the leg he kicked - it had far more malice behind it than Kanes tackle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

😂

 

Less malice? You really do buy into the Kane image, what a sucker.

 

Both were malicious hence why both should have been red cards. Trying to argue that either was worse than the other is not even worth wasting time on.

 

Degrees of maliciousness, that's a new argument on me, it's amazing some of the shit I read in this thread.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Adrock said:

😂

 

Less malice? You really do buy into the Kane image, what a sucker.

 

Both were malicious hence why both should have been red cards. Trying to argue that either was worse than the other is not even worth wasting time on.

 

Degrees of maliciousness, that's a new argument on me, it's amazing some of the shit I read in this thread.

 

Kanes tackle was clumsy, out of control and a red - it was not the same as Robertsons who lost the ball and like the spoilt child he is went over and planted his foot before kicking the player with no intention of going anywhere near the ball.

 

If you can’t see the difference between a reckless tackle and a malicious tackle then there isnt much hope for you guess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

 

211 members each receiving €12m leaves only around €800m for caviar and fois gras! 

 

Those poor executives!

 

Indeed, even without FIFA greed, their figures suggest the best that associations could hope for would be €15.6m. Now, while there's many a small association for whom that level of investment would be transformative, there are also many others where it's a drop in the ocean.

Aren't FIFA arguing with EA for some massive licensing deal for the FIFA name? I think EA would probably make the same amount of money just calling it EA Football and releasing it without the national teams. Of course in a battle between EA and FIFA there aren't exactly any good guys...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, they want to renegotiate for more than double the current cost.

 

The deal doesn't even give EA much other than brand recognition (although that's a biggie). When they started out, they thought football worked like US sports, so if you licence the organisation, you get the rights to all the teams and players. Of course, it doesn't work that way, which is why the first game didn't have any real players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Adrock said:

 

As a one off due to the exceptional circumstances we are all living through I think everyone accepts things need to be different sometimes.

 

The season is already packed as it is and leagues can't reduce the number of games so the next logical step is to reduce cup games.


In that case the big clubs can well afford to compensate the smaller club the revenue a replay would generate, or failing that forfeit the tie.  
 

Yes things need to be different and everyone does accept that, but why is it always the minnows who get shafted?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not sure anyone has discussed how to work the curtailment of FA Cup replays but I don't think clutching pearls and screaming think of the small clubs is reasonable.

 

Let's wait and see what they come up with first and then decide how to react. I have no desire to see smaller clubs suffer losses on top of what has been a shit couple of years so protecting that income should be foremost in plans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

 

Im pretty sure Kane deserved a red but lets not talk nonsense, Robertson didnt have his leg off the ground in some sort of incredible anticipation of the incoming leg breaker :facepalm:

 

He had Harry Kane bearing down on him, of course he did 😆

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, AfromB said:

Is there an argument that modern coaches aren’t as adaptable as previous generations? I can remember most clubs having various injury crises back in the eighties/nineties/two thousands and coaches seemed able to throw a team together even if it did mean playing a centre back up front. Coaches now seem to have lost this ability to react to adversity. 
 

Take Leeds in their last two games. We know that the coach doesn’t want to do it but surely the sensible thing to do would be to admit that for the next few games they’re going to have to change their playing style and try to grind out some results? We all love seeing great football, but if for any reason you can’t currently play great football then surely the best thing to do is temporarily alter your style of play?
 

Am I just being old fashioned? I understand that coaching has come on in leaps and bounds in the last few decades but at the same time it seems as if coaches and managers are straight jacketed with the idea that they can never deviate from whichever style of football they have chosen to play and as a result are less able to handle adversity. 

 

You could put a centre back up front in the old days because everyone played the same way and it was a much more ad hoc style.  Now, with things like pressing triggers, zonal marking, organisation of space, it's really hard to switch that on a whim.  The players themselves have been trained in the system over a period of months, so when I hear someone say "well; they can just switch to three at the back" it's like.. how? You can't just throw an extra player in the defence because not only does he have to know what to do in any given situation, but so do the wingbacks, the midfielders and even the centre forward.

 

The coaching is so much more in-depth and the pace, power and skill of the players, allied with the billiard smooth playing surfaces at all levels means just throwing a guy out there and letting them go is just about impossible.  And that's before we get to the fitness and sports science aspect of it - however dubious some methods are.

 

There was a great description of Bernardo Silva's goal a week ago - if you had described that goal 30 years ago, it was fantasy, 20 years ago it was inconceivable and 10 years ago considered impossible.  Now you have a very very good player doing it - and I mean no disrespect to Bernardo Silva when I say this - but he's not the most talented footballer on the planet, if you know what I mean?  Liverpool are absolutely scything through teams in a way that a decade ago would have seemed like it they had come from another planet.

 

Over the past year alone, you can pick out spectacular goals and performances not just from Jose Cancelo, TAA, Robertson but Matt Lowton, Aaron Cresswell, Wan-Bissaka.  And these are fullbacks!

 

All you can do as a coach is build your team as best you can, prepare them as best you can, put them out there and hope that Kevin De Bruyne doesn't fancy hitting the top corner from 30 yards today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Plissken said:

 

You could put a centre back up front in the old days because everyone played the same way and it was a much more ad hoc style.  Now, with things like pressing triggers, zonal marking, organisation of space, it's really hard to switch that on a whim.  The players themselves have been trained in the system over a period of months, so when I hear someone say "well; they can just switch to three at the back" it's like.. how? You can't just throw an extra player in the defence because not only does he have to know what to do in any given situation, but so do the wingbacks, the midfielders and even the centre forward.

 

The coaching is so much more in-depth and the pace, power and skill of the players, allied with the billiard smooth playing surfaces at all levels means just throwing a guy out there and letting them go is just about impossible.  And that's before we get to the fitness and sports science aspect of it - however dubious some methods are.

 

There was a great description of Bernardo Silva's goal a week ago - if you had described that goal 30 years ago, it was fantasy, 20 years ago it was inconceivable and 10 years ago considered impossible.  Now you have a very very good player doing it - and I mean no disrespect to Bernardo Silva when I say this - but he's not the most talented footballer on the planet, if you know what I mean?  Liverpool are absolutely scything through teams in a way that a decade ago would have seemed like it they had come from another planet.

 

Over the past year alone, you can pick out spectacular goals and performances not just from Jose Cancelo, TAA, Robertson but Matt Lowton, Aaron Cresswell, Wan-Bissaka.  And these are fullbacks!

 

All you can do as a coach is build your team as best you can, prepare them as best you can, put them out there and hope that Kevin De Bruyne doesn't fancy hitting the top corner from 30 yards today.

So like I said then :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Adrock said:

I'm not sure anyone has discussed how to work the curtailment of FA Cup replays but I don't think clutching pearls and screaming think of the small clubs is reasonable.

 

Let's wait and see what they come up with first and then decide how to react. I have no desire to see smaller clubs suffer losses on top of what has been a shit couple of years so protecting that income should be foremost in plans.


The big clubs will be jumping at the chance to get rid of replays.


The erosion of the FA Cup so the top 6/8 can play extra games in Europe (new Champions league format or the European Conference) has been going on for years.

 

It will all be mid week soon enough and maybe the European teams will get a bye for the he third round and on it goes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s a slight oversimplification to say that everyone played the same way. For example, Liverpool in the eighties played  a different style of football to teams like Wimbledon. 
 

That’s what I mean about the coaching though, the coaching is so structured and rigid that when something else is called for they can’t come up with anything. This rigidity brings advantages but also has drawbacks. 
 

I’m pretty certain that goal could have been scored thirty years ago as well. If you go back and watch old games some of it, mainly the tackles, will be shocking but there were also some highly talented players and great teams. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Plissken said:

There was a great description of Bernardo Silva's goal a week ago - if you had described that goal 30 years ago, it was fantasy, 20 years ago it was inconceivable and 10 years ago considered impossible.  Now you have a very very good player doing it - and I mean no disrespect to Bernardo Silva when I say this - but he's not the most talented footballer on the planet, if you know what I mean?  Liverpool are absolutely scything through teams in a way that a decade ago would have seemed like it they had come from another planet.

 

Not sure i understand this, I think Bernardo Silva is one of the most technically gifted players on the planet, hence why he could score that goal. It reminds me of the technical skill Ozil has where you can just pass him the ball any way you like and if he decides to score on his first touch he'll adjust to do it with ease. Considered impossible 10 years ago? Van Persie was scoring more difficult volleys in the premier league 10 years ago. His flying one against Charlton was in 2006. Are you saying the overall technical skill of all top players is better than it was 10 years ago? I think some of the fast football Spurs used to play with Bale, Modric and Van der Vaart under Redknapp was amazing. Liverpool in 2013 were unbelievable. The increase in technical ability and willingness to play on the floor is definitely evident lower down the table and in lower leagues, like when that team battered Chelsea in an fa cup game with the most amazing passing goals you could ever see. I can't even remember the team.

 

You've got players like Mahrez who people routinely say has the best first touch they've ever seen, and who isn't a definite starter for City or a player whose skill the team relies on to score. We don't generally view modern players as some of the best ever or having attributes that are the best ever, despite all the hype there's still reverence for players of the past being proper players that the current lot can't come close to, while fans call 80% of players who go through their club 'not good enough'.

 

Haven't players, not even great ones, always scored wonder goals?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AfromB said:

It’s a slight oversimplification to say that everyone played the same way. For example, Liverpool in the eighties played  a different style of football to teams like Wimbledon. 
 

That’s what I mean about the coaching though, the coaching is so structured and rigid that when something else is called for they can’t come up with anything. This rigidity brings advantages but also has drawbacks.

 

Less big personalities, that's the fear of academies producing highly technical clones, some do this thing where they just say the game is on here at this time, make your own way there. Tim Vickery is always asked about academies vs street football, Messi being the best because he's a combination of both. The street footballer learns early on a way to figure things out in the moment, do something unexpected. The academy player understands systems better but can't produce that 'moment of magic' commentators like to go on about.

 

I always wonder how difficult it must be for a young player to impose themselves on a game, how do you improve on decision making and postioning to always make an impact, not be peripheral. In moments Barkley or Oxlade Chamberlain are brilliant on the ball but neither have come close to their prospects as teenagers. Loftus Cheek did something in the last seconds of a cup final a few years ago that's been lost because the goal was judged offside, the keeper kicked it high and he flicked it over his head, ran on and passed to Hazard who scored the winning offside goal. Referee whistle, no replays of the skill and audacity to do that in the final seconds of a dead level match. I've always wanted to see it again because it was unbelievable skill. I'm gonna go look for it again.

 

oh shit i found it! Yeah that wasn't on youtube when i looked before. It is 0-0 vs Man City in the Carabao cup final, it's 88 minutes and Loftus Cheek has just been subbed on. 5 minutes later in extra time of this cup final with one minute left he receives the ball like this in his own half:

 

 

 

Was actually onside and would have gone down as one of the most memorable bits of skill that won a cup final in its last moments, a billion replays would have been shown and Loftus Cheek would have been hailed as a brilliant genius. As it is we didn't see him since.

 

I mean look at that fucking touch, i still can't believe he did that, i want to see it up close from every angle, if you showed anyone this clip who had never watched football they'd think you're showing them one of the all time greats, not a peripheral player who can't get a game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

Yeah, they want to renegotiate for more than double the current cost.

 

The deal doesn't even give EA much other than brand recognition (although that's a biggie). When they started out, they thought football worked like US sports, so if you licence the organisation, you get the rights to all the teams and players. Of course, it doesn't work that way, which is why the first game didn't have any real players.

 

And they did that having made basically the opposite mistake a year earlier which is why the start of the other series goes.

 

EA Hockey

NHLPA 93

and then and only then  NHL 94

 

2 hours ago, Ork1927 said:


The big clubs will be jumping at the chance to get rid of replays.


The erosion of the FA Cup so the top 6/8 can play extra games in Europe (new Champions league format or the European Conference) has been going on for years.

 

It will all be mid week soon enough and maybe the European teams will get a bye for the he third round and on it goes.

 

Yep, along with "we'd never sully the FA Cup with sponsorship" because "The FA cup with... Budweiser" wasn't it?

 

And then emboldened by that we're now full tilt the "Some fucking cunt FA Cup".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

I feel you don't see as many utility players any more. Used to be that every decent team had a guy who could play anywhere in defence or midfield and was always consistent no matter what. Can't think of many now.


James Milner is Liverpool’s. Suppose pretty much everyone had a go at centre-half last season too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Spontaneity has sort of been coached out of the Prem though. No-one has scored a free kick like those Le Tissier ones, or Shearer bashing that volley in from the car park since they went in. When was the last lob? Bloody yonks ago was when. I bet xG killed them.

 

Dunno, this? From earlier this year:

 

 

From a maligned criticized player who has mostly disappointed since his arrival. If a falling outside of the foot lob from a tight angle that i don't think has ever been attempted before isn't spontaneity i don't know what is really. That goal got forgotten by May when the best of the season came up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/12/2021 at 18:51, GamesGamesGames said:

 

The thinking man's language there.


This post got 23 pos votes which indicates that at least 23 people thought I was genuinely being serious when I said Robertson is “the thinking man’s hard man” :lol: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/12/2021 at 18:48, dizogg said:

No offence but he’s a complete fucking mong.

 

On 19/12/2021 at 18:51, GamesGamesGames said:

 

The thinking man's language there.

 

17 minutes ago, dizogg said:


This post got 23 pos votes which indicates that at least 23 people thought I was genuinely being serious when I said Robertson is “the thinking man’s hard man” :lol: 


stupid cunt. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, glb said:


James Milner is Liverpool’s. Suppose pretty much everyone had a go at centre-half last season too.

Yes and he's the one of the last of a dying breed

 

Juranovic seems to be ours at Celtic, played left back, right back and right side of the front three, even on the same game at the weekend. With how we play (inverted full backs and a relatively narrow front three all that) those roles are all kind of similar and related though.

 

He's officially a right back but has so far been better at left back, of all things.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, dizogg said:


This post got 23 pos votes which indicates that at least 23 people thought I was genuinely being serious when I said Robertson is “the thinking man’s hard man” :lol: 

 

No, we thought you were serious when you used an ablest term as an insult.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/fifa-world-cup/story/4553518/fifas-biennial-world-cup-proposal-has-majority-backing-president-gianni-infantino
 

Quote

Arsene Wenger, FIFA's head of Global Football Development, said he hoped the debate would change in the coming weeks.

"We face opposition, but what I regret is that 90% of this opposition is emotion and not facts and not analysis. We have to get over this fear because most of the emotions that we face are based on fear," he said.


yeah, fuck you and your emotion. Clearly arsenal fans weren’t emotional enough. Should have got him sacked earlier.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.