IGNORED

Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

After watching for the full 90 for a long time, we need Bamford back quick and hopefully that's enough. We are completely lacking the edge we had last season and Palace looked dangerous on the break. Draw would have been fair, but that's a massive three points.

Absolute 100% penalty though, what on Earth was the defender thinking?

Yeah we definitely need Bamford back and a backup striker as soon as the January window opens.

That is a massive win though, especially if we can back it up with another over Brentford at the weekend, as the rest of December is looking very tough fixtures wise.  

2 hours ago, Gabe said:

Indeed. The worst thing is that it makes the women's game - which has really come on in leaps and bounds over the past 18-24 months - look incredibly amateurish and belies the skill the top teams have. 

It happens in the CL too, there were some double-digit thrashings last week I think.

I don't know what the answer is, but I can't see how it helps other nations grow. 

It's pointless. There also appears to be none of the arbitrary handwriting from the media - like when the men's squad beat San Marino by a mere ten a few weeks ago - in the women's game. 

Fort William have made a pretty ambitious appointment as their new manager. This guy has been a scout for the Belgian national team and managed in Mongolia and has a UEFA A licence.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/36621/12483148/shadab-iftikhar-joins-fort-william-to-become-scotlands-first-senior-manager-of-south-asian-heritage

For the team miles away from anyone at the bottom of the Highland league who are having to play every single game as an away tie this season, it's quite ambitious. Shinty is by far the more popular sport in the area so they always struggle to get players. 

This guy is playing Football Manager in insane difficulty mode in real life.

9 hours ago, Gabe said:

Indeed. The worst thing is that it makes the women's game - which has really come on in leaps and bounds over the past 18-24 months - look incredibly amateurish and belies the skill the top teams have. 

It happens in the CL too, there were some double-digit thrashings last week I think.

I don't know what the answer is, but I can't see how it helps other nations grow. 

England have played 6 and have a +53 goal difference. The state of this.

Screenshot_20211201_070020.thumb.jpg.991e7b49f250b7896912ab9038564cf3.jpg

It's pretty farcical, no doubt about that.

I do wonder about the current UEFA qualification formats, in both the women's and the men's game, and whether or not they're the best possible option, and I think I'd favour an overhaul. One option would be for a number of the top seeded teams to play in a different format than the others, with the teams not qualifying from that dropping down to playoffs against the best of the rest.

Other confederations typically have preliminary stages to weed out the weakest teams, but with Europe receiving so many spots in a World Cup, you can't really do enough whittling to ensure a decent set of interesting games for the very top teams. And frankly, the way the wind is blowing in recent years, if international football isn't throwing up meaningful top-tier games outside of finals tournaments, it's going to get decimated.

No, because his plans do nothing to combat the problem with unbalanced qualification games. What he wants to do is devalue the World Cup, sideline the continental championships, overwork players and condense qualification periods to month-long blocks, all while lining FIFA's pockets.

That women’s football isn’t producing the same quality and tighter scores seen in the men’s game is just a reflection of the legacy of sexist disparity in opportunity, attention and therefore interest, revenue, skill etc, with countries lagging at different rates. We need to be careful with perpetuating terminology and attitudes towards it, and I catch myself having these thoughts too, that it’s lower, amateurish, boring, meaningless etc. Of course there are biological differences that will produce differing appearances (just like there are in different leagues/eras), but if we just persist with our emergence from the dark ages we’ll continue to see the rises in quality which make for closer and more compelling competition.

53 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

No, because his plans do nothing to combat the problem with unbalanced qualification games. What he wants to do is devalue the World Cup, sideline the continental championships, overwork players and condense qualification periods to month-long blocks, all while lining FIFA's pockets.

I mean I clearly wasn't being serious!

38 minutes ago, Meat said:

That women’s football isn’t producing the same quality and tighter scores seen in the men’s game is just a reflection of the legacy of sexist disparity in opportunity, attention and therefore interest, revenue, skill etc, with countries lagging at different rates. We need to be careful with perpetuating terminology and attitudes towards it, and I catch myself having these thoughts too, that it’s lower, amateurish, boring, meaningless etc. Of course there are biological differences that will produce differing appearances (just like there are in different leagues/eras), but if we just persist with our emergence from the dark ages we’ll continue to see the rises in quality which make for closer and more compelling competition.

That's the thing, I think the last World Cup - which was well promoted by TV stations and got prime-time viewing - really showed that there is a lot of skill at the top of the women's game and I think has gone a long way to helping dispel those views more generally. But there's no escaping the fact that - in the men's or women's game - double-digit scorelines do make it all seem at best rather pointless but at worst that it is all amateurish and why are those teams even playing. For it to happen very sporadically you can put down to just a freak result, but there have been 6 in just the last week at international level. That's not good for the global image of the game.

The level of investment across countries is obviously a massive factor and will take time to change, hopefully to the point that all teams become more competitive. There will always be minnows getting a tonking, but if the game is to become more widely accepted, they need to be fewer and farther between.

1 hour ago, Meat said:

👏

2 hours ago, Meat said:

I broadly agree, but on that last point, I don't think it would do anyone any favours to persist with the current qualification approach which is throwing up clear mismatches. That, to me, would be stifling the ongoing development of both teams in any lopsided matchup, while contributing to a negative image as Gabe notes.

3 minutes ago, Plissken said:

If Adama Traore could play football he’d be amazing.

Charlie Taylor with two magnificent tackles tonight.

Could have gone either way that, Wood usually bullies Coady, so nice to get something against Burnley for once. 

Good luck against Newcastle!

Ten minutes to go at Villa Park, Manchester City still winning and they’ve been excellent for long periods tonight but I’ve seen enough from Villa to be optimistic. There’s definitely a bit more bite in midfield than we had under Smith. 

edit: 

@dizogg no. 

Edited by Naysonymous
Liverpool fans are the worst winners aren’t they?