IGNORED

Metroid: Dread - October 8th

mdn2

5 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

Yeah… Going from an OLED Switch to an original 3DS hurt my eyes… Prime next!

Considering that Dread is obviously running on a souped up version of the engine for Samus Returns, I would say a quick Deluxe version is in order.

You know, I think I'd pay for the game again if it gave me the ability to turn off the EMMIs. I absolutely detest them, and whenever I sit down to play Dread there's a little sinking dissuasion that reminds me I might have to encounter one. It's not quite enough to make me give up on the game, but it's damned close.

13 minutes ago, Scribblor said:

You know, I think I'd pay for the game again if it gave me the ability to turn off the EMMIs. I absolutely detest them, and whenever I sit down to play Dread there's a little sinking dissuasion that reminds me I might have to encounter one. It's not quite enough to make me give up on the game, but it's damned close.

its almost as though you dread the encounters 

ha ha

Metroid Dread won't forget about failed boss fights for your total play time anymore

Unlocking those endings gets a little harder

A new set of Metroid Dread patch notes have gone live, with the second update for the game fixing up an issue that's probably been a little too favorable to your total play time.

Nintendo posted the Metroid Dread patch notes in an update to its official support site, with fixes outlined for six specific issues in the game. Chief amongst them is a fix for an issue which would only add on to your total play time when retrying a specific boss fight; in other words, Metroid Dread originally forgot about the extra time you spent when you got a game over for the majority of its boss fights, meaning it would only count the time you spent for your final, successful attempts toward your total.

Some of the boss fights in Metroid Dread are pretty tough, so that's potentially a lot of retries and extra time to forget about. Your total play time determines what kind of ending scene and unlocks you get at the very end - as is Metroid tradition - so it's a significant detail for the game to track accurately.

The other issues fixed in the new Metroid Dread patch notes include shoring up a force quit incurred by hitting frozen enemies with Shine Spark, weirdness with jumping while in a Morph Ball Launcher, and a few glitches where Samus or enemies could get stuck in the environment.

https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/metroid-dread-patch-notes-update/

And sure enough, as the top 30 comes out, we finally have numbers for Dread's 4th week on the market.

14./04. [NSW] Metroid Dread # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2021.10.08} (¥6.980) - 5.483 / 124.501 <80-100%> (-45%).

Quite a drop but as noted earlier, Dread's higher start means it has a significant longer tail then the usual Metroid entries. Whilst it won't catch up to Super Metroid or Metroid in Japan, Dread has at least outperformed every Metroid game since 1994 if you include digital. Let's see what the holiday brings for the game's longtail.

On 03/11/2021 at 17:14, Protocol Penguin said:

I got to the final boss, spent hours on it, can’t beat it. Backtracked to get more equipment (currently 160-ish missiles, 8 power bombs), but the fact that so many (including vital energy tanks) are hidden behind shinespark puzzles ruin it, just impossible to pull off because of the lag and relying on the stupid fucking joystick button. So I don’t think it’s worth continuing if I won’t stand a chance without expansions I can’t acquire. Some really horrible, negative game design decisions went behind this.

I'm on the last boss, finally. 20 minutes in.

Why are you so eager to collect missiles for this? You can pop his black hole projectiles with just four missiles to receive a showering of ammo. On phase 3 you can powerbomb his mini-sun attack for even more. This isn't including the obligatory handouts for completing the counter attacks successfully (which you're forced to do to unlock each successive phase).

I'm still stuck on phase 3, although I've been at full ammo throughout.

I swear, all that time annoying yourself with Shinespark puzzles and you could have had this done by now easily.

Boss down after a couple more attempts following that post. Certainly nowhere near the difficulty of a couple of Fusion’s bosses. Despite three phases his attacks are generally the same across the board. The trickiest one to navigate was his standing hyper proton beam in phase three - once he starts charging it try to time one nice big double jump so that he fluffs it into the air, land and charge stinger missiles. He’ll try it three or four times, but the timing is the same. I didn’t get it down perfectly, but it didn’t matter in the end. Maybe phase shift backwards a split second before he fires, I don’t know… Something to work on with hard mode. It’s certainly possible to do it without getting hit once you can navigate his attacks.

3 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

Just got the

Reveal hidden contents

speedboast / fast running

thing and am now utterly lost. Could I have a little help?

Have you tried reading your journal and Adam transcribes? I always found that pointed me in the right direction when I’d wandered too far from the beaten path. 

This is fucking well better the second time through. Even if you never knew what a speed run was before the second run on this kind of demands it from you, in a sense.

I’ve not felt that since Resi2. I used to speed run that before speed running was much of a thing, although that did bait you in with the unlockables. Now that’s something I’ve not enjoyed in a while, a good fucking well-deserved unlockable. :(

Having now moved into my new flat (for the most part), I’ve finally had the chance to dig into the last boss tonight. Quite tough, but after a few attempts I’ve learned enough to get to the third phase. Fully expect to polish it off tomorrow, after building a bit more furniture and unboxing a few more things. 

On 06/11/2021 at 00:46, Fallows said:

I'm on the last boss, finally. 20 minutes in.

Why are you so eager to collect missiles for this? You can pop his black hole projectiles with just four missiles to receive a showering of ammo. On phase 3 you can powerbomb his mini-sun attack for even more. This isn't including the obligatory handouts for completing the counter attacks successfully (which you're forced to do to unlock each successive phase).

Another tip for this…

You should be charging your multi-missile shot constantly, have your finger welded to the button. So whenever he chucks this black hole projectile you can aim at it and instantly get the 4 auto locks needed to destroy it, before it gets anywhere near you.

3 hours ago, Goemon said:

Another tip for this…

You should be charging your multi-missile shot constantly, have your finger welded to the button. So whenever he chucks this black hole projectile you can aim at it and instantly get the 4 auto locks needed to destroy it, before it gets anywhere near you.

See, I didn't use storm missiles at all on beaky. I find it too finnicky and you're frozen to the spot whilst you aim and lock on. I just leap and dash about whilst spamming ice missiles. When he launches a black hole you have plenty of time to carefully aim and shoot the four missiles. If you're good with the storm missles though, cool, I'm not knocking it. I thought the battle was over pretty fast regardless. :)