IGNORED

Metroid: Dread - October 8th

mdn2

28 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Click stick is not a button. Even Hades makes this critical mistake.

Every game designer still doing this should be sentenced to completing GUNVALKYRIE with a Duke controller. They’re out of action toggles at best. 

This has been the best thing I've played for quite some time. It's dominated my gaming time completely and I don't think I've played anything else at all since I bought it.

However, this last boss is an absolute f$cker, and is starting to really frustrate me. It feels like Sekiro all over again, where I just don't feel like I have the reactions to deal with it. Admittedly I'm an old moany git now but been playing games since I was 6, and sometimes things like this just remind me I've slowed down a bit in the reaction time department, and it really flicks my anger switch.

I know exactly what to do at each tell of each attack but f*ck me I really just cannot react fast enough. I get through phase 1 absolutely no probs but the next bit I just get whittled down bit by bit. So now i'm at this horrible stage where every day I (reluctantly) switch on the game have about 10 goes at the boss, fail at phase 2 and switch off. It's soured it a bit... Everything else I feel has been pitched perfectly - hard at some points, but you feel like you progressed each time even if you failed.

I'll do it eventually, and I'm sure it will be a real "f*ck you a-hole!" moment, but a shame for me that it has to end with just wanting it to be over. Up until this point I would happily have kept going for another 10 hours. 😕

How much gear and health do you have? I left him and went and 100%ed everything before coming back with 275 rockets and full health. Made him much easier.

Incidentally, going around clearing all the maps with the full skillset was by far my favourite few hours of the game.

Just now, jonamok said:

Incidentally, going around clearing all the maps with the full skillset was by far my favourite few hours of the game.

This is where I'm at. This is where it feels most like a traditional Metroid game. I don't want it to end.

I’ve been slowly making my way through this and really enjoying it. I’m getting a bit fed up with the EMMIs but not to the extent that they’re ruining the game…. until now. 

I’m in Ferenia and simply trying to traverse the EMMI zone with the purple EMMI around is nothing but frustrating. He’s on you the moment you enter, you have to wade through water, and it feels like there’s very little I can do except try, die, repeat until I get lucky with a parry…. and even then I can’t get away fast enough to make an exit without being caught again.  

Am I missing something or did the difficultly just go up a notch? 

Just now, Bushtopher said:

I’ve been slowly making my way through this and really enjoying it. I’m getting a bit fed up with the EMMIs but not to the extent that they’re ruining the game…. until now. 

I’m in Ferenia and simply trying to traverse the EMMI zone with the purple EMMI around is nothing but frustrating. He’s on you the moment you enter, you have to wade through water, and it feels like there’s very little I can do except try, die, repeat until I get lucky with a parry…. and even then I can’t get away fast enough to make an exit without being caught again.  

Spoiler

Use the grapple beam on the spider tracks to move quickly through water. Should be enough to complete the section.

The EMMIs are dealt with so quickly, mad as it sounds, I've started wondering if they couldn't have somehow brought them back for the final stretch when you're scouring the map for 100%... Maybe the mother of all EMMIs could appear, which follows you around the entire map like Nemesis. :ph34r:

46 minutes ago, jonamok said:

How much gear and health do you have? I left him and went and 100%ed everything before coming back with 275 rockets and full health. Made him much easier.

I did exactly this after my first run at the boss and will keep going until I have all the energy, because that's the thing I felt very short of in that boss fight :D

1 hour ago, CheekyMonkey said:

This has been the best thing I've played for quite some time. It's dominated my gaming time completely and I don't think I've played anything else at all since I bought it.

However, this last boss is an absolute f$cker, and is starting to really frustrate me. It feels like Sekiro all over again, where I just don't feel like I have the reactions to deal with it. Admittedly I'm an old moany git now but been playing games since I was 6, and sometimes things like this just remind me I've slowed down a bit in the reaction time department, and it really flicks my anger switch.

I know exactly what to do at each tell of each attack but f*ck me I really just cannot react fast enough. I get through phase 1 absolutely no probs but the next bit I just get whittled down bit by bit. So now i'm at this horrible stage where every day I (reluctantly) switch on the game have about 10 goes at the boss, fail at phase 2 and switch off. It's soured it a bit... Everything else I feel has been pitched perfectly - hard at some points, but you feel like you progressed each time even if you failed.

I'll do it eventually, and I'm sure it will be a real "f*ck you a-hole!" moment, but a shame for me that it has to end with just wanting it to be over. Up until this point I would happily have kept going for another 10 hours. 😕

I feel similarly to you, it took me so long to beat that last boss (3 hours i think) that I nearly threw the towel in. For me it was that second phase as well. 

i would suggest watching a YouTube to see how you can get through the second phase. 

some tips for the boss that might help (below), if you manage to get the evade moves into your muscle memory it might help with your reaction speed.

Whether completing the game is worth this level of commitment is debatable, gameplay wise I don’t think you would be missing much by just watching it online. I do find these types of difficulty spike do tend to nag away at me, to the point frustration. I’m still miffed that I never got past the Capra Demon on DS. 

Spoiler

I found the section that kept getting me was the rapid fire bit. If that’s you, try practising the spin jump so you have timing down for repeat jumping and you can circumnavigate the boss easily.

Use the flash jump to avoid the big laser and the stomp move.  

when you get to phase 3 - use the power bomb to destroy the “sun” orb. Worth practicing how to use the power bomb as well, as I did find the controls quite fiddly. 

1 hour ago, Bushtopher said:

Just did that - it did go up a notch.

And just afterwards...

Spoiler

Any tips for beating the two robots you get locked in with?

1 hour ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Hide contents

Use the grapple beam on the spider tracks to move quickly through water. Should be enough to complete the section.

Thanks, that helped. Still struggle with the various combinations of the shoulder buttons, especially when you’re being chased by an EMMI. I suppose it’s living up to its name as I certainly dread those sections now!

5 minutes ago, smac said:

Just did that - it did go up a notch.

And just afterwards...

Hide contents

Any tips for beating the two robots you get locked in with?

I’ve not got to this bit yet and wish I’d not read the spoiler (not because it spoils anything but because I fear this may get too tricky for me to preserve with it)

6 minutes ago, Bushtopher said:

I’ve not got to this bit yet and wish I’d not read the spoiler (not because it spoils anything but because I fear this may get too tricky for me to preserve with it)

Keep jumping over them and phase shifting left/right to safety. Don't think about attacking until you have your evasion down and they can't come close to hitting you. That's the exact same strategy I use to down soulsborne bosses after three or four attempts. Death on the first attempt is near inevitable, so just concentrate solely on evasion and defence instead of trying to kill stuff that's going to whoop you regardless.

Once you can hop over them reliably you can then start missile spam during the windows you get. Don't waste time and health trying the parry, you have more than enough missiles.

1 hour ago, Number 28 said:

The EMMIs are dealt with so quickly, mad as it sounds, I've started wondering if they couldn't have somehow brought them back for the final stretch when you're scouring the map for 100%... Maybe the mother of all EMMIs could appear, which follows you around the entire map like Nemesis. :ph34r:

Delete this immediately. And then your account.

We don't need this evil in the world.

It's a nice idea, and the same one I had at first, but there are far too many straight and narrow walkways that'd make an E.M.M.I like that trivial.

The world isn't designed for it, which is why they're contained within mazes that feature one straight for you to line up your killshot. I do really like the T2-style baiting setup required to bypass each of these encounters, though. One big criticism I have is that dispatching these guys is all too samey. I'd have liked different ways of doing the same job. Predator (drop something), Alien/s (air lock), or T1 style (industrial crusher), etc. 

1 hour ago, Fallows said:

Keep jumping over them and phase shifting left/right to safety. Don't think about attacking until you have your evasion down and they can't come close to hitting you. That's the exact same strategy I use to down soulsborne bosses after three or four attempts. Death on the first attempt is near inevitable, so just concentrate solely on evasion and defence instead of trying to kill stuff that's going to whoop you regardless.

Once you can hop over them reliably you can then start missile spam during the windows you get. Don't waste time and health trying the parry, you have more than enough missiles.

Yeah - it's the double-jump that often fails me - I don't get the height to clear the nearby ledge, end up clinging to the edge right above a droid's head.

Otherwise, it's the usual git gud; avoid, exploit the opening, rinse and repeat.

3 hours ago, jonamok said:

I got to the final boss, spent hours on it, can’t beat it. Backtracked to get more equipment (currently 160-ish missiles, 8 power bombs), but the fact that so many (including vital energy tanks) are hidden behind shinespark puzzles ruin it, just impossible to pull off because of the lag and relying on the stupid fucking joystick button. So I don’t think it’s worth continuing if I won’t stand a chance without expansions I can’t acquire. Some really horrible, negative game design decisions went behind this.

5 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

I got to the final boss, spent hours on it, can’t beat it. Backtracked to get more equipment (currently 160-ish missiles, 8 power bombs), but the fact that so many (including vital energy tanks) are hidden behind shinespark puzzles ruin it, just impossible to pull off because of the lag and relying on the stupid fucking joystick button. So I don’t think it’s worth continuing if I won’t stand a chance without expansions I can’t acquire. Some really horrible, negative game design decisions went behind this.

I can't explain enough that there isn't any lag. Or if there is it's to do with your setup. The controls aren't quite perfect, there's definitely too much to do for the number of buttons you have, but there isn't a millimetre/litre/frame of lag in there at all. 

3 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

I can't explain enough that there isn't any lag. Or if there is it's to do with your setup. The controls aren't quite perfect, there's definitely too much to do for the number of buttons you have, but there isn't a millimetre/litre/frame of lag in there at all. 

Perhaps there’s not in handheld mode, but I tried playing on that can’t make out the (already small) graphics on the regular Switch’s screen to play it, TBH – I’ve only ever played Pokemon, Animal Crossing and Sega Phantasy Star on my undocked Switch as they don’t rely on quick reactions.

2 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Perhaps there’s not in handheld mode, but I tried playing on that can’t make out the (already small) graphics on the regular Switch’s screen to play it, TBH – I’ve only ever played Pokemon, Animal Crossing and Sega Phantasy Star on my undocked Switch as they don’t rely on quick reactions.

I have played exclusively on my television docked with a Pro Controller and have not experienced any lag at all. I am currently on the last boss. 

1 hour ago, BitterToad said:

I have played exclusively on my television docked with a Pro Controller and have not experienced any lag at all. I am currently on the last boss. 

Good for you for owning a reasonably modern TV.

Only at 160 missiles, 8 power bombs and 9 energy tanks – won’t be able to complete any shinespark puzzles. Worth admitting defeat on the final boss and just trading it in? I mean, if you’re required to get these hidden items to complete the game, and they’re near impossible to get, what’s the point?

35 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Only at 160 missiles, 8 power bombs and 9 energy tanks – won’t be able to complete any shinespark puzzles. Worth admitting defeat on the final boss and just trading it in? I mean, if you’re required to get these hidden items to complete the game, and they’re near impossible to get, what’s the point?

I can't do the shinespark stuff for shit mate, I think it was required once or twice throughout the game, those were the ONLY times I used it, I did NOT go back and even  try to work out the puzzles for energy etc that needed it.

I beat the boss... in the end. 

I spent a couple of hours at it the first evening, just kept getting hammered, came back to t the next day, did it first time!

As soon as he starts building up that purple ball thing, shoot it with 4 missles, that should get you plenty of health and missiles back, I was getting to the second stage with full health every time after a while, then the second one, that section is a twat, just have to dodge LOTS!, with the next stage, it's just like the first, only now he has a yellow ball thing, destroy that with a acharge bomb for health / ammo, and same for the purple one as the first stage.

38 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

My TV is about 9 years old. There is no lag. 

Just now, MikeBeaver said:

I can't do the shinespark stuff for shit mate, I think it was required once or twice throughout the game, those were the ONLY times I used it, I did NOT go back and even  try to work out the puzzles for energy etc that needed it.

I beat the boss... in the end. 

I spent a couple of hours at it the first evening, just kept getting hammered, came back to t the next day, did it first time!

As soon as he starts building up that purple ball thing, shoot it with 4 missles, that should get you plenty of health and missiles back, I was getting to the second stage with full health every time after a while, then the second one, that section is a twat, just have to dodge LOTS!, with the next stage, it's just like the first, only now he has a yellow ball thing, destroy that with a acharge bomb for health / ammo, and same for the purple one as the first stage.

Thanks. It’s not so much the tactics required that’s the issue, it’s the lack of enough energy and ammo given to the player to make it more than a few minutes in the battle, and that the awful shinespark puzzles are an artificial device to make expansions harder than necessary to collect.