Metroid: Dread - October 8th

mdn2

Can someone give me a prod in the right direction? Stuck in the third area:

Spoiler

Got the morph ball and varia suit. Exploring the (pretty huge) EMMI area in Dairon, found a few exits but they all seem to be dead ends. There's probably a hidden block somewhere?

22 minutes ago, Made of Ghosts said:

Can someone give me a prod in the right direction? Stuck in the third area:

Hide contents

Got the morph ball and varia suit. Exploring the (pretty huge) EMMI area in Dairon, found a few exits but they all seem to be dead ends. There's probably a hidden block somewhere?

If you happen to stumble upon a teleporter back to a previous area don't hesitate and make sure you take it.

In a basement, somewhere deep in the bowels of Nintendo HQ, there is a department no one knows still exists, and in the corner there is a dusty telephone on a desk.

It suddenly rings - someone there, who hasn't seen daylight in two decades, blows the dust off the phone to answer it...

"Hi yeah - we are looking to put some really wanky platforming sections in a new game we are developing - you know where the ledges disappear after one second of touching them - in a really large and deep area..."

"I'll be right up"

41 minutes ago, englishbob said:

In a basement, somewhere deep in the bowels of Nintendo HQ, there is a department no one knows still exists, and in the corner there is a dusty telephone on a desk.

It suddenly rings - someone there, who hasn't seen daylight in two decades, blows the dust off the phone to answer it...

"Hi yeah - we are looking to put some really wanky platforming sections in a new game we are developing - you know where the ledges disappear after one second of touching them - in a really large and deep area..."

"I'll be right up"

you might find something to help with those things….

56 minutes ago, englishbob said:

"I'll be right up"

Must resist ..

57 minutes ago, englishbob said:

"I'll be right up"

Spoiler

There’s an item for that.

I think it's fine if you're not a fan of hidden blocks and I'd say he's got a point because there's a fine balance between hand-holding and causing the player frustration...but to rant about people being morons, etc, makes you sound super salty and childish. It's kinda weird how he thinks it's a generational thing too, when the earlier games are much the same? Plus, God of War, also a great game, has plenty of design choices you could pick apart (there's a 3 hour Joseph Anderson video on YouTube if anyone is interested :lol:)

I'm at the point of no return now and was going to go for 100%, but some of the Shinespark grabs seem so arbitrarily fiddly and annoying that I doubt I'll bother, which is a shame as I enjoyed hunting everything down in Samus Returns.

Who's one hundred percented the game? @Dig Dug? Is it worth it?

I 100%ed it. The rewards are fairly slim but the shinespark puzzles aren’t as hard as they look once you’ve figured it out. Took me an hour or two to round up all the items I’d missed before heading to the final boss (which is great, btw)

Bah, the Shinespark stuff has really fucking irked me, actually. It's a mechanic which you have to use about three times throughout the course of the main game, and whose more advanced techniques are never taught to you, and which you never are required to practise with in order to proceed, yet in order to find certain collectibles you have to be able to do some quite advanced stuff with it using the clunky controls, with no tutorials. The game expects you to look it up online, or remember how to do it from the most recent game in the series, if you happened to play it nearly two fucking decades ago when it first came out.

Well fuck you, game. I'm just going to ignore all your collectibles and complete you instead.

That'll show em.

1 hour ago, Cyhwuhx said:

It’s

Reveal hidden contents

Ice Missiles. 

Cheers! Yeah i tried the other suggestion and didnt get very far.

been going back to try and get stuff i missed but not good enough at the controls to get all of them.

It is a little strange how the difficulty of the puzzle doesn’t seem to relate to the rarity or power of the item you get as a reward  Some of the trickier shinespark puzzles give you 2 missiles but some much more basic (IMO) ones get you an energy tank.

I suspect it’s for the completionists out there without risk of alienating the more casual players.  I like to give each puzzle a good effort but if it turns out to be tricky to the point of frustration I just shrug & move on.

And done. Final boss was pretty tasty!

Just over 10 hours played and 65% of items found, which is to be expected seeing as I didn't really bother to hunt them down once I'd got to the end, but it's still a bit disappointing that I didn't find more.

A great game, overall, with some nagging frustrations that let it down. I'll post some fuller thoughts tomorrow, I think, but fresh off the bat I'd give it a solid Edge 8/10Definitely worth playing, but not revelatory. I'm in two minds now whether to sell it on or keep it for prosperity.

40 minutes ago, sandman said:

I’m worried about all this talk of it being difficult. Is it harder than Prime? (A game I’ve never come close to finishing)

I'm pretty shit at boss fights in general and was a bit worried about them in this but (I think) I'm about half way through and while some of them have taken a few retries (about a dozen goes on one of them), there hasn't been anything that's unfair, and I could feel myself getting closer each time. I don't think you should be put off by the difficulty talk, it's more challenging than straight up hard.

43 minutes ago, sandman said:

I’m worried about all this talk of it being difficult. Is it harder than Prime? (A game I’ve never come close to finishing)

The final boss took me about half an hour, but the rest of the game didn't throw anything too tricky at me. It's all just learning patterns. I wouldn't say it's harder than Prime, but then I last completed that when I was about 13, so my memory's a bit hazy on that one.

1 hour ago, sandman said:

you’ll find me further up the thread getting worried about rock hard boss fights. I’ve not completed the game yet but so far the bosses have been fair and really enjoyable. The game goes out of its way to tell you that *every* attack can be avoided. And once I got a few boss patterns down, I breezed through some that I thought were really hard to start with.