IGNORED

Metroid: Dread - October 8th

mdn2

25 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Sure but as said it's seems to be the industry standard so why is this one game being singled out? Call out the whole industry instead.

Well for a start it is really noticeable in this game just how short the credits are compared to other games.

This game is also blowing up big time and has as much post-release hype as pre-release (if not more).

It’s not an industry standard by any means as I’ve played games which credited everyone as far down as QA. The issue comes from many places holding a standard far below what should be acceptable and getting away with it. If this is the game which gets people to take notice then fantastic.

In any case, credits give validity to CV’s. If you worked on this game in particular then you are really going to want future employers to know it.

Historically no-credits were used to prevent headhunting and that attitude ended up sticking to a degree. It’s just one of the many reasons why the industry needs a union as all the credit is going straight to the top.

The auteur theory is less of a thing in studio works now more than ever. If a game is well designed was it all down to the designer or does the designer owe it to QA and other workers for fixing all the design flaws behind closed doors?

Point being: this is a problem that needs addressing and this game is the perfect place to start.

9 hours ago, Yiggy said:

I beat water boy tonight. Doable in no more than 2 minutes when you figure it out.

Couple more attempts this morning and managed to get him done, surprisingly quick boss.

Going around the map collecting upgrades & found a rather devious speed booster/shinespark puzzle.  I always knew my pitiful skills at that technique would come back to haunt me.

11 minutes ago, Jarik said:

Going around the map collecting upgrades & found a rather devious speed booster/shinespark puzzle.  I always knew my pitiful skills at that technique would come back to haunt me.

The double missile tank one in Dairon had me scratching my head way too long.

Yep just move the cursor over the icon and it tells you if its already been collected. Although does it appear on the mini map as well? But its happened to me too - the icon should be more greyed or something. There's quite a few missiles I've detoured to get before headslapping when I realise I have them.

28 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

The double missile tank one in Dairon had me scratching my head way too long.

26 minutes ago, Dig Dug said:

One thing I don’t like about clean up is I can’t tell the difference between a collected and not collected partial energy tank on the map. I’ve lost a lot of time to those.

Are there any hidden techniques to using the shinespark/running mechanic that the game doesn't tell you about? Like a way for you to retain your shinespark for a longer period of time, or something? I think I'm one upgrade away from finding everything, but I've come across some speed booster blocks in some very odd places, where I can't see how you're supposed to build up enough speed to get through them.

Considering how busy the map can get it seems odd that there's no option to 'toggle' certain map icons on or off.  As it is, you can only highlight all icons of a certain type (as long as you've already found them) & this includes all the already collected ones.

The markers have turned out to be quite handy, though of course I started using them liberally just before finding out they're connected to one of the games only bugs.

11 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Are there any hidden techniques to using the shinespark/running mechanic that the game doesn't tell you about? Like a way for you to retain your shinespark for a longer period of time, or something? I think I'm one upgrade away from finding everything, but I've come across some speed booster blocks in some very odd places, where I can't see how you're supposed to build up enough speed to get through them.

Spoiler

You can carry Speed Booster top speed through slides before pressing down, very important.

Second, you can 'respark' by shinesparking into a slope, this will return you to running state with top speed to press down with.

Third, you can shinespark in Morph Ball form (going left or right in morph ball form will keep you at the same height as where you started).

Fourth, you can press diagonally and shinespark in that direction for hard to reach spots.

Fifth, you can use cross bombs to propel you forward in Morph Ball over crumble blocks.

Have fun! :D

8 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Spoilered just in case people don't want to know how this works:

Spoiler

You can retain the speed boost between rooms and by bouncing off walls using the wall jump, as well as sliding. I've already come across ones where you have to start in a different room to start your-run up, use slides and wall bouncing to get up to where you need to go. When you tap down when charged you also store the spine shark and can use it on the next button press allowing you to line up your jump, which is pretty fiddly.

To give you an idea of some of the crazy stuff you can do with shinesparks, here's the OG Shinespark easter egg from Metroid Fusion (spoiler obviously) that made it into a kind of staple technique:

Spoiler

Zero Mission took the idea and ran (*groan*) with it.

3 hours ago, Gambit said:

With this being a sales hit, Nintendo better be prepping a collection of Samus Returns, Fusion and Zero Mission. 

Conversely, I wouldn’t be entirely surprised if Super Metroid gets remade using Dread engine (or if you prefer, in style of Samus Returns, but on the Switch). Seeing as Metroids 1 and 2 have already had remakes.

10 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, but ignoring the fairly inconsequential EMMI sections you could call Dread a Super Metroid remake. :ph34r: *runs from thread*

giphy.gif

Started playing last night, really enjoying it. Killed the 2nd EMMI (the 1st EMMI is just a tutorial I guess) and got the magnetic spider power thing. Opened a thermal thing which opened more doors then led me to dying in a cold area. No fucking idea where to go now. What’s the best course of action when you’re not sure where to go next, just check the map? 

13 minutes ago, dizogg said:

Started playing last night, really enjoying it. Killed the 2nd EMMI (the 1st EMMI is just a tutorial I guess) and got the magnetic spider power thing. Opened a thermal thing which opened more doors then led me to dying in a cold area. No fucking idea where to go now. What’s the best course of action when you’re not sure where to go next, just check the map? 

Yeah, check the map for any light-blue wall highlights (magnetic bits) that are close to uncovered parts of the map, then investigate. Always try to leverage the latest power-up you've been given.

Seeing as we're talking about the map what's with those glowing white rectangular sections? Is that where something might be hidden, or what?

Just now, Fallows said:

Seeing as we're talking about the map what's with those glowing white rectangular sections? Is that where something might be hidden, or what?

Spoiler

That 'section' contains a hidden item. Do note that as soon as you can see the item within the section, the glow will be swapped out for an icon on the map, regardless of whether or not you picked it up.

13 minutes ago, dizogg said:

Check the map, yes, but progress is pretty linear and the way forward is usually close to where you currently are/where you picked up the latest powerup. If you’re backtracking for ages, or running into obstacles/locked doors still marked ??? on the map, or finding very hot/very cold rooms, you’re looking in the wrong place and the game doesn’t want you going there yet. 

When you get a new powerup, doors/obstacles that it works on will change from being called ??? on the map and given a proper name, which can be helpful. 

I was exploring one bit yesterday and was convinced I was stumbling into a secret area because of the cool moves I had to bust to reach where I was going... then the floor fell away and I was fighting a boss.

love it when that happens.