Metroid: Dread - October 8th

mdn2

3 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Does it scale properly for ultrawide?

I've not looked into it, I've never owned an Ultrawide. The fork of Dolphin only shows 4:3 and 16:9 however. You can stretch to screen fit but it'll look absolute ass.

15 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Because you have specific tastes does not make it “flawed”. I have a pet peeve with that term being flung about regarding subjective opinion. 

…but, please without over explaining, which Metroid game(s) is your favourite? 

Zero Mission. Perfect balance of exploration, accessibility, and the final expression of three games worth of exploits turned into features by the devs. And that final act as the cherry on top.

I usually regard everything people say here as personal opinion. And the discussion following it is something that I do welcome (it's the main reason why I visit the forum). I do notice that in the last couple of years things have changed more towards either extremely positive or negative with no room for dissent. That's something I do kind of dislike. I might not agree with what people say here, but I do trust them on their opinion of video games and want to understand their point of view.

On that note, I find people saying Dread is not flawed or the most perfect Metroid just as annoying currently (it works both ways of course), but I do like it when people explain exactly why. That's why I hate reviews that just say "OMG it's a classic Metroid!", slap a 10/10 out of it and proceed to explain in the review that indicate they may have just reached the second boss or so.

I'm not claiming anyone that likes the game isn't a fan, or is a stupid idiot, or anything like that. But I do like to read more about it than just BEST/WORST GAME EVAH. :)

11 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Having a hard time with a certain boss so I went on a good old fashioned noodle around the map for upgrades. Although there is a really tightly wound critical path this is an absolute joy to just get lost in. There’s a clear respect for the wall jump as the fun, quick and elegant way to deal with platforming.

Now that I'm exploring I do respect the devs making speedrun tactics and exploits more accessible. I've ran into a few challenges that seem overcomplicated but really aren't, because of the streamlined controls. That said, I do wish the left stick click could have been moved to RZ or something similar.

15 hours ago, deerokus said:

What's with some reviewers hating the difficulty? It's challenging but it's hardly some directionless, confusing masocore nightmare.

Like this one. A vertical wall of difficulty apparently, and he was constantly struggling to work out where to go. Just weird.

https://mashable.com/article/metroid-dread-review-nintendo-switch

The main game is normal to easy at times for me, but some of the bosses reach Mega Man/Dark Souls levels of pattern recognition. I'm really interested to see how many people here will complete the game.

10 hours ago, Rudderless said:

Not sure I can justify paying full whack for this when I'm likely not going to have the time to play it for a little while, but I'm getting serious FOMO. Is anyone loving it who didn't really get on with Samus Returns?

Samus Returns is a prototype compared to this. Everything that was in the way of the design ideas they had there is fixed here to work better.

11 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

As someone who has almost no interest whatsoever in retro/16 bit gaming, Super Metroid holds up ridiculously well. Well worth playing. 

Hey, is there a way I can play this officially? I am totally interested now after giving Dread a try. I have a Switch and a Nintendo 3ds if it ever came out on those?

Just now, Simmy said:

Hey, is there a way I can play this officially? I am totally interested now after giving Dread a try. I have a Switch and a Nintendo 3ds if it ever came out on those?

If you've got a Switch Online membership, it's one of the many many classics on the SNES app you can download.

1 minute ago, Simmy said:

It's on the Switch Online Snes service. It's also on the new 3DS emulation service too

1 hour ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Zero Mission. Perfect balance of exploration, accessibility, and the final expression of three games worth of exploits turned into features by the devs. And that final act as the cherry on top.

Well, I too love Zero Mission and I recently played through the whole thing - on my MiSTer on a massive screen no doubt - and loved it all over again, BUT! to me this makes absolutely no sense. It's by far the most "breadcrumb trail" or "carrot on a stick" of any of the Metroid games I've played. You're lead by the nose around the whole map - not only by way points - but literally in the way rooms flow into each other. The loop around is totally obvious and feels like the designers are leading you around. It's also super, super easy and doable in 5 hours without much bother. 

It complete contrast, in Dread I've just finished the first proper boss, and have gotten access to two more area's that I'm not meant to be in even with Adam nudging me back to the first area, I'm free to just wander off and get lost! Which I literally have done. It's also far, far more of a challenge, and I've died plenty of times. 

I'd perhaps say a few people - like myself - are a bit "roll-eyes" at these comment's on the game as it's literally just come out. Not everyone has the time to blast through the game at turbo-speed to immediately get to post-game activities like sequence breaking and speedrunning. Sequence breaking which is totally taking advantage of exploits and routes found after the games been out and matured for years, and really not some secret-club thing that the developer has deliberately left in there. 

Some games - like HollowKnight - the sequence skipping was found during testing, then deliberately left in but not originally designed to be that way! It's total NG+ activities and not the actual meat of the game, as fun as it can be. 

11 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Am I allowed to say…this reminds me of Other M? 

Not an insult, I quite liked Other M.

Other M gets so much shit but is a really solid title with great bosses. I prefer it to all of the Prime games and Samus Returns.

2 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Well, I too love Zero Mission and I recently played through the whole thing - on my MiSTer on a massive screen no doubt - and loved it all over again, BUT! to me this makes absolutely no sense. It's by far the most "breadcrumb trail" or "carrot on a stick" of any of the Metroid games I've played. You're lead by the nose around the whole map - not only by way points - but literally in the way rooms flow into each other. The loop around is totally obvious and feels like the designers are leading you around. It's also super, super easy and doable in 5 hours without much bother. 

It complete contrast, in Dread I've just finished the first proper boss, and have gotten access to two more area's that I'm not meant to be in even with Adam nudging me back to the first area, I'm free to just wander off and get lost! Which I literally have done. It's also far, far more of a challenge, and I've died plenty of times. 

I'd perhaps say a few people - like myself - are a bit "roll-eyes" at these comment's on the game as it's literally just come out. Not everyone has the time to blast through the game at turbo-speed to immediately get to post-game activities like sequence breaking and speedrunning. Sequence breaking which is totally taking advantage of exploits and routes found after the games been out and matured for years, and really not some secret-club thing that the developer has deliberately left in there. 

Sometimes like HollowKnight, the sequence skipping was found during testing, then deliberately left in but not originally designed to be that way! It's total NG+ activities and not the actual meat of the game, as fun as it can be. 

Oh yes, ZM is a breadcrumb trail. BUT. There's a completely different track to follow that allows you to ignore all of it. So it's perfect for beginners and perfect for veterans. It exactly is that secret-club thing that the developer deliberately left in (seriously, if you've played ZM, try playing it again and don't pick up the Long Beam, and that's just the start). The thing is that during Super/Fusion/ZM the devs looked at exploits and developed them further into features. (Curiously, some of SR's new concepts haven't carried over to Dread, so there's been a deliberate 'selection' going on.)

There are hints now that Dread may have a secret track as well, which means it's extremely well hidden, so more research is needed. :D For me though, 'vanilla' Dread feels like it's constantly pushing you forward, locking of segments of the zones you are in. You don't really have a 'main artery' to you can return to; the artery is constantly being swapped out.

7 minutes ago, Dark Soldier said:

Late game power spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

Spin Attack is hilariously OP. I know it is in previous games but its made all non-boss rooms a fun cakewalk.

Spoiler

Oh god yes. I've also been using it to "pain the map" to have a true 100% explored map. 🙃

20 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Oh yes, ZM is a breadcrumb trail. BUT. There's a completely different track to follow that allows you to ignore all of it. So it's perfect for beginners and perfect for veterans. It exactly is that secret-club thing that the developer deliberately left in (seriously, if you've played ZM, try playing it again and don't pick up the Long Beam, and that's just the start). The thing is that during Super/Fusion/ZM the devs looked at exploits and developed them further into features. (Curiously, some of SR's new concepts haven't carried over to Dread, so there's been a deliberate 'selection' going on.)

There are hints now that Dread may have a secret track as well, which means it's extremely well hidden, so more research is needed. :D For me though, 'vanilla' Dread feels like it's constantly pushing you forward, locking of segments of the zones you are in. You don't really have a 'main artery' to you can return to; the artery is constantly being swapped out.

I really disagree that Dread has a main push through it all, as I mentioned I'm currently really far away from where I'm totally meant to be and I'm just going exploring. 
Interesting on Zero Mission though. I likely will replay it and see what it's like trying to not go through it on the main path. 

24 minutes ago, Steven said:

@CheekyLeeThat's cool - all this talk about how difficult the bosses were was making me think they'd gone silly with the tuning. Nightmare was just about recognising patterns and then he was a doddle.

I don't even think Nightmare was anywhere near as terrible as made out, mostly it's the sheer size that makes it difficult! I would put this right alongside Fusion in terms of difficulty. But it is far ahead in terms of atmosphere. And Samus is an utter joy to control, I don't think she has ever flowed this well before.

I struggled with the first main boss (it took me way more attempts than I'd like to admit) and I'm now completely lost in the second area with no idea where I'm supposed to be going, so this one is going to last me a very long time. It's very, very good though.

So Dread came in 3rd after multi format monstrosities FIFA 22 and Far Cry 6. Not bad for a single format release. Oh and Mario Kart 8, Animal Crossing, Super Mario 3D world And Super Mario Odyssey re-entered the charts because of the OLED.

But, Y'know, Nintendo are irrelevant.

1 minute ago, kempstar said:

How the hell do I get past the purple EMMI in Ferenia? He detects any movement. So you have to be cloaked at all times, but that does give you enough time to get past him. So bloody annoying

Grapple beam the magnet ceilings to go over it. The grapple beam can also be used on magnet walls under water to move faster as you cannot outrun it easily on foot. You also have a double jump at that point which I always forget.

10 minutes ago, Dig Dug said:

Grapple beam the magnet ceilings to go over it. The grapple beam can also be used on magnet walls under water to move faster as you cannot outrun it easily on foot. You also have a double jump at that point which I always forget.

This. I never used the cloak btw. Speed trumps everything else with EMMIs (pre-Omega Shot).

2 minutes ago, kempstar said:

This is so shit.

Ive died at least 20 times. He is too fast to outrun as im mostly underwater. The cloak is useless too, as he spots any movement from anywhere on the map.

There should be little one block corners under the water, morph and cloak.

7 minutes ago, Dark Soldier said:

There should be little one block corners under the water, morph and cloak.

Yeah I get that, but when I actually have to move, uncloaked, he detects me from wherever he is on the map?