IGNORED

Metroid: Dread - October 8th

mdn2

8 hours ago, HarMGM said:

Sorry to use yours as a springboard but: Quite the opposite from my end tbh. People these days act as if the amount of hours a game takes equals the amount of money it’s worth. Hell, even i’ve been guilty of it.

Metroid is one of the games where a 10+ hour campaign actually sounds worrying, considering Fusion and Zero Mission taking less then 3 hours at best. Was hoping for Dread to do something similar rather then the bloated feel of Samus Returns.

A lot of people will probably yell out ‘but Hollow Knight!’ but I can’t deny that felt incredibly drawn out at times.

Fusion and Zero Mission took me a damned sight longer than 3 hours to complete.

Yes I am completely rubbish but that 3 hour figure is undoubtedly knowing exactly what to do everywhere and kicking every bosses arse first time.

Zero mission was a lot easier mind but definitely still had more than 3 hours on the clock.

I reckon I can add another 5 hours easy onto these estimated times and 15 hours sounds ideal to me

My main memories of Metroid Fusion are: 1.) finding several of the bosses to be ridiculously unpleasant difficulty spikes 2.) being genuinely surprised at the game ending when it did in an “is that it?!” sort of way. I think I assumed that I was barely halfway through the game; the short size of the adventure compared to Super Metroid threw me off.

I finished Zero Mission at the weekend. My first play through. 4:20 on the clock and 56% collection rate. I'm currently playing through Fusion - another first for me and enjoying it very much!

Then there's Samus Returns. I can't remember why I stopped playing that one other than finding it annoying for some reason.

Anyway, I think I'll play all these before Dread. 

8 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Debating whether to get this now or ask the OH for it for Christmas. 

I still have Returnal to finish and Death Stranding to start. Nnnng but it is a new Metroid.

Pre-load it already. 

Ordered this morning.

I didn’t dislike Samus Returns (beat it twice) but it wasn’t a keeper for me.

For metroid I put 5 games in the series down as untouchable:

Super, Fusion, Zero Mission, Prime 1&2.

Those 5 are classics that have held my attention for over 15 years now. 

I want Dread to be on a similar level where I tell myself I could never be without it as long as I live. Fingers crossed it actually does address all the issues I had with Samus Returns. Metroid is a series in a very real danger of losing modern relevance in the “genre” it helped create as other studios have continued to push the bar high. Bring on Friday.

48 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

This feels nice and smooth until the cutscenes which seem to have lower fps than the actual game.

Cutscenes run at 30 FPS I believe.

One of the people who's gotten this early is saying this is what you get if you cross Fusion and Super together. It has the moody and oppressive atmosphere of both at least.

I'm actually playing Fusion on my 3DS, thanks monsieur Nintendo, wiz this game you're really spoiling me. Love it, did get stuck at an annoying boss but kicked his arse so ferreronuff, feeling juiced up to a point now that I don't think I'll be having anything as troublesome again. Probably get a spike now saying that.

Got to finish quick before Dread, I've only had it sat on various 3DS for nearly a decade. I'm off my rocher.

It's excellente!

8 minutes ago, HarMGM said:

Cutscenes run at 30 FPS I believe.

One of the people who's gotten this early is saying this is what you get if you cross Fusion and Super together. It has the moody and oppressive atmosphere of both at least.

Sounds good, I’d be now than happy with that, 

Most games make pre-renders of in-game engines allowing them to skip loading in a lot of non-game data for a scene and then swapping back on a dime. For example: Ghost of Tsushima did, even though everything was in-game. They only changed that when the PS5 allowed them to swap the data necessary at the fly.

Now I don't know yet how Dread implements cut-scenes and the like, but seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the reason.

54 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Most games make pre-renders of in-game engines allowing them to skip loading in a lot of non-game data for a scene and then swapping back on a dime. For example: Ghost of Tsushima did, even though everything was in-game. They only changed that when the PS5 allowed them to swap the data necessary at the fly.

Now I don't know yet how Dread implements cut-scenes and the like, but seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the reason.

Aren’t some of them interactive though during boss fights and the like?