IGNORED

Metroid: Dread - October 8th

mdn2

10 hours playtime is music to my ears. I've got a hundred 50 hour-plus games on the go at the moment and would love nothing more than to sink a new Metroid over the course of a few weekends, and maybe the odd weekday evening.

Just now, HarMGM said:

Sorry to use yours as a springboard but: Quite the opposite from my end tbh. People these days act as if the amount of hours a game takes equals the amount of money it’s worth. Hell, even i’ve been guilty of it.

I don't disagree, I guess I was just hoping for a bigger game really that doesn't feel like a slog because it all feels so similar (like Samus Returns did towards the end). A shorter run time is probably not the worst thing for a game like this.

These Metroid games absolutely work best at the run time of Super Metroid, which is around 10 - 15 hours for a first playthrough. 

You need to feel the whole world and how it all works and flows together, like it's one big puzzle. 

When the size and length of the game goes up, you completely lose this. I love Hollow Knight, but it's size is a bit detrimental to it all. 

Eventually it all comes together, but there's a bit of a lull mid-way when it all feels just so vast and huge. I know "getting lost" is part of the appeal, but I think it's less fun when it's all a bit too overwhelming. 

Oh and the game has checkpoints as well, so you don't have to go all the way back to the last save point. Which I'm not sure is a good or bad thing really?

I don't think Fusion or Zero Mission takes first time players under 3 hours to beat. Zero Mission was about 5 hours and Fusion was 7 for me.

36 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Oh and the game has checkpoints as well, so you don't have to go all the way back to the last save point. Which I'm not sure is a good or bad thing really?

I don't think Fusion or Zero Mission takes first time players under 3 hours to beat. Zero Mission was about 5 hours and Fusion was 7 for me.

SR has check points as well, provided you don't switch the game off...  basically it auto-saves just outside the boss door

WHICH IS REALLY FUCKING HANDY

IGN will absolutely mark this down for 2 reasons.

1 - it's 2D - and therefore for some reason not AAAA standard and therefore can't possibly be worth full marks

2 - it's 10 hours long - incels will rage because they can complete the game in a day (see also 1).

6 minutes ago, scottcr said:

SR has check points as well, provided you don't switch the game off...  basically it auto-saves just outside the boss door

WHICH IS REALLY FUCKING HANDY

Yeah that's pretty neat. There were a couple of badly placed save points in Fusion which meant a long run back to the boss fight. Thank god for save states 😆

12 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Yeah that's pretty neat. There were a couple of badly placed save points in Fusion which meant a long run back to the boss fight. Thank god for save states 😆

I remember one particularly bad save point in Fusion to a really difficult boss that almost had me chucking my GBA out the window.

Life is too short for that pish.

That's another reason game play time could be shorter - better save states means you're not wasting gameplay time getting back to the boss.

In general, I usually hate bosses and I find the bosses in Metroid can be really tough.  I've still not finished SR because I can't quite beat Ridely.  

3 minutes ago, scottcr said:

I remember one particularly bad save point in Fusion to a really difficult boss that almost had me chucking my GBA out the window.

That's another reason game play time could be shorter - better save states means you're not wasting gameplay time getting back to the boss.

In general, I usually hate bosses and I find the bosses in Metroid can be really tough.  I've still not finished SR because I can't quite beat Ridely.  

Seriously: have you tried Kirby and the Amazing Mirror? It's Kirby Metroid and perfectly pitched in terms of boss fights.

5 minutes ago, scottcr said:

That ruins way too many games for me, games of so many genres; boss battles becoming huge difficulty spikes. Speaking of the Metroid series, Prime 1 and 2 I never liked very much because the bosses were ridiculously difficult, souring the otherwise fun and engrossing experience of all

the shooting and exploring.

1 minute ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Seriously: have you tried Kirby and the Amazing Mirror? It's Kirby Metroid and perfectly pitched in terms of boss fights.

:( no - I should probably try it out.

I enjoy bosses that are a puzzle but I'm not such a fan of wars of attrition - a lot of metroid bosses fall into this category.  

I can't beat the end boss in Dark Souls either.  

4 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

That ruins way too many games for me, games of so many genres; boss battles becoming huge difficulty spikes. Speaking of the Metroid series, Prime 1 and 2 I never liked very much because the bosses were ridiculously difficult, souring the

otherwise fun and engrossing experience of shooting and exploring.

yeap - quite often my feelings before an obvious boss battle are 'oh fuck - not a boss - joy'

1 minute ago, scottcr said:

:( no - I should probably try it out.

I enjoy bosses that are a puzzle but I'm not such a fan of wars of attrition - a lot of metroid bosses fall into this category.  

I can't beat the end boss in Dark Souls either.  

the big robot boss in SR was great - that was a puzzle.  Once you'd worked out what to do and when, it was easy and really memorable.

1 hour ago, Darhkwing said:

I've found that that really depends on how familiar someone is with the series. If you're a first time Metroid player then I can totally see someone taking 7 hours to complete Fusion. But if you've at least played Super Metroid or other games in the genre, I doubt it. I at least remember Zero Mission getting points docked in reviews at the time because certain reviewers completed it in under 2 hours, showing that at least a basic familiarity helps move those games along.

9 minutes ago, HarMGM said:

I've found that that really depends on how familiar someone is with the series. If you're a first time Metroid player then I can totally see someone taking 7 hours to complete Fusion. But if you've at least played Super Metroid or other games in the genre, I doubt it. I at least remember Zero Mission getting points docked in reviews at the time because certain reviewers completed it in under 2 hours, showing that at least a basic familiarity helps move those games along.

Well maybe if you dont spend ANY time searching for secrets OR you go by the in game clock.

I started playing the 2D Metroid games late last year - 

Super Metroid took me 20 hours

Zero Mission 10 hours (in game clock says 5 hours)

Fusion 15 Hours (in game clock says 7 hours or so)

So yeah i spent a lot of time either exploring or dieing on bosses. I remember getting stuck in Fusion for an hour on some stupid puzzle.

I also think a lot of people immediately reach for a walkthrough when they get stuck.

17 minutes ago, HarMGM said:

Haven't played Zero Mission but Fusion was around four hours for me on my first playthrough, having played a lot of Super Metroid before it. A game being under 5 hours long is a big positive for me.