IGNORED

Forza Horizon 5

Mr Do 71

People playing like absolute trash for the trial this week. Not had a single other person so far who has taken the second it takes to look at which cars are required and getting a decent tune sorted so instead they're all in the rentals. 

People smashing into each other, smashing into corners and/or afking and not racing at all.

It's not exactly hard...but it is infuriating doing the same 3 races over and over hoping to find people that can actually play. 

3 minutes ago, Varsity said:

People playing like absolute trash for the trial this week. Not had a single other person so far who has taken the second it takes to look at which cars are required and getting a decent tune sorted so instead they're all in the rentals. 

People smashing into each other, smashing into corners and/or afking and not racing at all.

It's not exactly hard...but it is infuriating doing the same 3 races over and over hoping to find people that can actually play. 

Might be the time of day, I did it last night and everyone was pretty decent even in the rentals.

1 minute ago, Minion said:

Might be the time of day, I did it last night and everyone was pretty decent even in the rentals.

Tried last night and this morning, between this game and Halo I'm gonna end up getting comms banned again soon haha. 

People bring the worst out of me and I can't resist sending a salty message. 

I'll keep trying...

Trying to move over to using manual gears after using automatic since year dot. It's a whole new mindset required, I'm so focused on not over-revving and thinking what gear should I be in I end up crashing, not tried it in a race yet but it's a layer of extra stuff I am not sure I'm ready for yet. What's the trick to it? Does it just become second nature?

18 hours ago, g wings said:

I’ve been playing whenever I have time and decided to keep

all my money for a while rather than constantly buying cars as I go.

Then I accidentally said yes to prioritising one of the barn find restorations and lost millions… Aaarrrggghhhhhhh

My son went and did the same thing just this morning. Luckily, I had lots, but not enough to pay for it.

I would cry for you, but...

Spoiler

I'm running outta teardrops!

7 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

What’s everyone got the other racers set to? It asked me to bump them up to Above Average and has now told me “You’ve lost several races in a row. Would you like to reduce to Average?” So now I’m back where I started but with less self esteem. 

Yeah, I've been through that parade in many a Forza game. I've got Above Average with most things turned off and 55% CR bonus. On the Gauntlet, I had cars snapping at my heels for most of it, and even dipped to second a couple of times, but was a few seconds ahead come the end. On a street race, I'll blow them away. On cross country, I'm lucky if I'm not throwing the pad at the screen. And this is all in cars where I generally don't go above A class. Beyond that, every minor mistake has such a cumulative effect that I struggle to win.

So, given the massively variable nature of what Above Average means, I just stick with it. I mean, I can knuckle down, learn a track and do Highly Skilled for festival challenges, but that's definitely going to wait until the end. I'm just enjoying it as it is, and want to be challenged enough that it's not a procession but not so frustrating that I want to stop. I've made that mistake before. I was really quite into FM6, slowly learning the tracks and increasing difficulty. But I hit a particular type of car and it all went south, and instead of dialing it back I got so annoyed I bounced off it and, sadly, never went back.

I will say though, manual gears means I can't enjoy the music. I haven't got time to look at the screen/dials, my brain needs engine sound. So I've dialed back the music volume (which I wish only applied to races) and it mostly works. Except they bloody talk so much during the scripted events that I can't hear it! Gah. And some cars have such short gears that looking at the tachometer isn't practical with all the action going on.

43 minutes ago, Vimster said:

Trying to move over to using manual gears after using automatic since year dot. It's a whole new mindset required, I'm so focused on not over-revving and thinking what gear should I be in I end up crashing, not tried it in a race yet but it's a layer of extra stuff I am not sure I'm ready for yet. What's the trick to it? Does it just become second nature?

It's just practice. I am an absolute novice when it comes to shifting but the control you have of your speed compared to auto is astonishing. Just keep practicing.

Absolutely. Do it during something inconsequential, a race you don't care about (or rivals, where you can just keep going). Don't try to go fast, just get used to listening to what the engine is doing. Don't feel like you're moving quickly enough? Try going down one. Bouncing off the limiter? Time to go up. It's amazing what audio clues your engine gives you. Eventually, you'll be holding it in a particular gear to flick through a few corners where auto might change up when it's not necessarily appropriate.

Also, do it in a lower class of car that goes up the rev range more slowly. If you try to stick to it, you'll get used to that car's engine note, as they all vary a bit.

53 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Is there a way to upgrade cars without returning to one of your houses? I can't say I've bothered to do it much so far because I'm hardly ever at home.

You can install other peoples tunes from anywhere except from the start of an event (which they inexplicably took away in the patch). Just go to tuning menu then search for tunes.

Really enjoying this again now! (I did say I had an up/down relationship with it...) I've won all the road and dirt races and am now working my way through the street ones. I'm playing on highly skilled with manual gears and the game is asking me to up the difficulty to Expert, but so far I've decided not to as it's treading the line well enough between frustration and fun already: most races take me a at least a couple of attempts to win.

Switching from automatic to manual has definitely increased my enjoyment of the game, too: you feel a lot more in control, and hurtling into a corner in fifth, breaking smoothly, turning across the apex and then dropping down to second before smoothly accelerating away again on the exit, passing three people at once, feels good, man. Stick with it @Vimster! As others have said, try it in a slower car first and try to hear and feel when you need to change gear rather than watching the rev counter all the time. The rumble is very good at letting you know when to switch up.

1 minute ago, Jamie John said:

Really enjoying this again now! (I did say I had an up/down relationship with it...) I've won all the road and dirt races and am now working my way through the street ones. I'm playing on highly skilled with manual gears and the game is asking me to up the difficulty to Expert, but so far I've decided not to as it's treading the line well enough between frustration and fun already: most races take me a at least a couple of attempts to win.

Switching from automatic to manual has definitely increased my enjoyment of the game, too: you feel a lot more in control, and hurtling into a corner in fifth, breaking smoothly, turning across the apex and then dropping down to second before smoothly accelerating away again on the exit, passing three people at once, feels good, man. Stick with it @Vimster! As others have said, try it in a slower car first and try to hear and feel when you need to change gear rather than watching the rev counter am the time. The rumble is very good at letting you know when to switch up.

Aye, I get the impression it's more about the feel than anything. Right now I'm looking at the rev counter and seeing when it moves towards the red.

It's worth remembering that the car starts sounding like it's going to take off when you need to shift up. Also there's enough of a red flash on the rev counter that you don't need to be looking at it constantly. But yeah I tend to just listen out for the engine and when it sounds like it's struggling quickly flick my eyes to the rev counter to double check it's red then shift up. Then once you've done all your turning flick down a couple of gears and see how quickly it feels like you're accelerating to see if you need to go down/up at all. It becomes second nature pretty quickly and really adds to the feel of the game. 

Has anyone just sat and looked at this game. I came back from a street event and found myself in the middle of a storm, and had to take a photo of it (not sure how to actually access it, it was an in-game photo rather than a screenshot). By the time I was done being David Bailey, the storm had moved on a bit and it wasn't enveloping me, but there was loads of moody lightning around, the road shone in the sun breaking out from behind the clouds, etc.

It's extraordinary. I can't wait to see this stuff in a game where it's easier to take in because you're not moving at 150 mph.

14 minutes ago, Vimster said:

Aye, I get the impression it's more about the feel than anything. Right now I'm looking at the rev counter and seeing when it moves towards the red.

I find that I can see where it turns red out the corner of my eye without having to look at it properly.

8 hours ago, TehStu said:

I don't know if it's helpful but I find the in-car rev counter often works, it's more in your field of view than the one off to the right. Although I primarily try to do it by sound.

I think the next step towards realism for me is to play with the in-car view. I've used the bonnet view, which is great for the sense of speed it brings, but I definitely win more cases with the default behind the car view; in-car I can never seem to see the route ahead properly. Plus, inside the car you can't actually see the car you're in, obviously, and looking at how shiny they are is a big part of the appeal.

Anyway, I played this for hours last night, mopping up races but also XP boards and missing roads. Podcast on, glass of wine to hand. Lovely.

I think the problem with the difficulty for me is that Average is too easy and I can literally bounce of walls and win, where as with Above Average, I need to be absolutely perfect and a couple of blunders with coming out of corners and not getting the power down right lands me in 3rd-5th, or in the off roads, bouncing around too much lands me in 12th. 

It would be nice if there was something in between the two. 

I don’t really want to play it where I’m retrying loads, as the races are probably the least important aspect of the game to me and I only spend about 20% of my time in them. 

I also miss the FH4 Pulse massively.

WITHOUT YOU I’M A SILHOUETTE. 

22 hours ago, Varsity said:

Tried last night and this morning, between this game and Halo I'm gonna end up getting comms banned again soon haha. 

People bring the worst out of me and I can't resist sending a salty message. 

I'll keep trying...

Ah you’re one of those people! Cool guy. Must be nice to receive a message that you’re shit at a game you like. I got griefed on Destiny matchmaking once for apparently not pulling my weight so I told him to go fuck off and find some skilful friends if you can’t deal with playing with randoms in the matchmaking pool. 

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I think the problem with the difficulty for me is that Average is too easy and I can literally bounce of walls and win, where as with Above Average, I need to be absolutely perfect and a couple of blunders with coming out of corners and not getting the power down right lands me in 3rd-5th, or in the off roads, bouncing around too much lands me in 12th. 

It would be nice if there was something in between the two. 

It needs scalable AI, more like the F1 game where you can make small adjustments.

1 hour ago, mikeyl said:

Ah you’re one of those people! Cool guy. Must be nice to receive a message that you’re shit at a game you like. I got griefed on Destiny matchmaking once for apparently not pulling my weight so I told him to go fuck off and find some skilful friends if you can’t deal with playing with randoms in the matchmaking pool. 

Yessir. Sorry sir. **Sad violin noise**