IGNORED

Forza Horizon 5

Mr Do 71

14 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

A bit of advice please. 

I like this very much but I’m still a little unsure how to play it. The map is full of stuff and I’m wondering what tactics people use in working through races. 

I have tried filtering on say, one type of event but then there’s huge drives between races. If I just do things nearby I get overwhelmed with what to do. Is Anna the answer. In Previous games when I’ve used her she sends me to events I’ve already done or ones that I didn’t have a suitable car for. Not sure if she’s better this time round and I should just be saying ‘take me to a race’. 

Then there’s all the non race stuff and the online stuff. It’s a great game but I’ve given up in the past because of all this and I want to come up with a tactic this time that works to allow me to push through. 

Boozy and Girth both give good advice. What I've done is unlock all the types of events by unlocking the first of each card when you get one of those stamp thingies then I'm doing stuff for the weekly festival shit, so today and yesterday has all been about the Baja Bug challenges, then I'll move onto the speed trap, weekly tournaments etc.

The thing with Horizon is it's a game you play till you've had enough. I don't see how anyone can complete everything in here without burning out to the point of wanting to set fire to your console. I just chug away at it til I've had my fill and then come back when I get the urge.

I saw other players on launch day, then absolutely nothing until the patch dropped, so it certainly feels like they fixed something.

On the other hand it might just be that that was the first time I actually restarted the game, rather than relying on Quick Resume.

1 minute ago, Garwoofoo said:

I saw other players on launch day, then absolutely nothing until the patch dropped, so it certainly feels like they fixed something.

It seems to be more stable now, certainly I am getting a lot fewer "disconnected, return to free roam to accept" error notifications

1 minute ago, Garwoofoo said:

On the other hand it might just be that that was the first time I actually restarted the game, rather than relying on Quick Resume.

I wish I had only restarted the game once, resume is hardly ever working for me.  FH5 is easily the flakest game I have played on xbox when it comes to resuming.

After the patch dropped I had a day or so where resume was working again and I assumed they had fixed something in the patch but yesterday it failed to resume all 3 times I switched my console on.

Also driving between races is an ideal opportunity to build up skill points for the car. Drifting around fields and sideswiping scenery is a good tactic. You get a skill point every 50,000 so trying to keep a chain going as long as possible and building up your multiplyer is key.

Straightlining across the map is also a surefire way to maximise your points. Building up 25 points to unlock the double crash skill earlier rather than last is advised too. Helps keep a chain going longer.

13 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I S1'd the Baja Bug for the first part of that challenge because it's so much easier to chain shit together. Then yeah, just went and drove through the wilderness smashing, drifting, jumping and all that.

Yeah I s1'd it too and got stupid high skill chains, highest I've ever got. Then I got to the racing part and had to put it back down to A class as S1 was just too much to control!

12 minutes ago, Girth Certificate said:

1.7m combo fucked into a random rock that came out of nowhere. should have bought the extra life on this car :lol: 

Yeah but it's like 25 points. That's obscene.

15 minutes ago, Minion said:

Yeah I s1'd it too and got stupid high skill chains, highest I've ever got. Then I got to the racing part and had to put it back down to A class as S1 was just too much to control!

Precisely what I did :D

I'm definitely getting some choice paralysis now I'm up to eighty cars or so. Even getting the novelty cars out the way, I've no idea what's better between a Nissan and a BMW or whatever. I'm then reticent to put my skill points into anything. How do people choose a car?

Whilst it's really good to have this huge playground with tons of cars, events, collectables, things to chase, times to beat etc, it does rather dilute the experience somewhat, and I'm sure this has been the case with FH for a while. I find I do a race until I win it and then that's it, done, I never go back to improve my time or do better generally. When it comes to picking a car I just go for the default now rather than try something else rather than pick something fun to race. If I upgrade a car it's auto-upgraded, no messing about with parts and checking stats. And tuning feels pointless when there's so much other choice. 

Basically whilst I'm having fun driving everywhere, doing races and the like, my engagement is really shallow, ticking off events and challenges and not going deep on anything.  

11 minutes ago, James Lyon said:

I'm definitely getting some choice paralysis now I'm up to eighty cars or so. Even getting the novelty cars out the way, I've no idea what's better between a Nissan and a BMW or whatever. I'm then reticent to put my skill points into anything. How do people choose a car?

Spend those skill points! Most are really cheap, only the double collision one Boozy mentioned earlier is dear and you want to save that for a car you will uses for cross country dashing (glad this is now widely recognised as a key feature) and skill songs.  You also get XP from spending skill points.

As for cars, I guess it depends on taste. I don't care for high level ones but like to have one each of  A ->  D for road races and dirt.  I'm putting everything mediocre and S1 or S2 up for sale and trying out whatever else takes my fancy.  An old Rolls Royce open top is great fun.  Still miss the Barchetta from Australia.

1 hour ago, James Lyon said:

I was putting them into cars I like, but then I realized I should put them into cars I typically drive to clock up points for other cars faster. It's good that FH5 has forced me out of my comfort (Subaru) zone and is making me drive other stuff, but that does mean spreading points around. Not a big deal, something to chip away at. For example, I've come to love the red Evo X you get with (I think?) the welcome pack, and even though it's Common I'm going to level it up. But! I just got the Subaru STI S209 last night, which I swear wasn't there at launch, so I'm definitely going to level that. Love that car. I've got a soft spot for the Corvette they give you and put a load in there too, although that speed of car is about my limit on what I like to race. I find the racing way less close if cars go much beyond that. It becomes a Formula 1 procession, without the pit stop drama.

I think you can over think this but it's mostly going to be down to what suits you. There's literally no wrong answer, and no way to screw it up (like a point-limited character build in an RPG). There's probably a way to min/max it, but that's not how I roll in Horizon. It's a chill game!

26 minutes ago, Girth Certificate said:

1.7m combo fucked into a random rock that came out of nowhere. should have bought the extra life on this car :lol: 

Once your combo gets over 500,000 (100,000 × 5.0 Multiplier) you don't earn any more skill points as the max is 10 for one chain. Better to bank the 10 points unless you are going for a high score.

3 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Once your combo gets over 500,000 (100,000 × 5.0 Multiplier) you don't earn any more skill points as the max is 10 for one chain. Better to bank the 10 points unless you are going for a high score.

I had no idea. I got to 500k easy, quite accidentally, last night and then felt compelled to try for 1m. Choked and only managed 970k in the end, doh!

1 hour ago, Vimster said:

Whilst it's really good to have this huge playground with tons of cars, events, collectables, things to chase, times to beat etc, it does rather dilute the experience somewhat, and I'm sure this has been the case with FH for a while. I find I do a race until I win it and then that's it, done, I never go back to improve my time or do better generally. When it comes to picking a car I just go for the default now rather than try something else rather than pick something fun to race. If I upgrade a car it's auto-upgraded, no messing about with parts and checking stats. And tuning feels pointless when there's so much other choice. 

Basically whilst I'm having fun driving everywhere, doing races and the like, my engagement is really shallow, ticking off events and challenges and not going deep on anything.  

Instead of auto upgrading click on find tuning setups. Pick one of the recommendeds and you'll likely find your car more competitive. Just check which tyres its upgrading to to determine if its a road, offroad, drag or race tune. When I get time I'll stick some cars and tune reccomendations in here. I've got an amazing rally 1965 mini cooper thats a blast on dirt.

Finally started this yesterday, having rinsed FH4. Joined the club (if that's what they are called?) and have been shuttling around with my ol' FH4 convoy partner doing loads of stuff. Good fun, even if I am struggling to warm to the location/roads/tracks as much as I did with 4. Then again, I live about a mile from the real-life location of windmill in that so maybe I am biased.

One thing that did make me smile, though, was when I raced solo and had a bunch of your drivatars blamming it around. I'd be racing the Hoonigans and then suddenly out of nowhere Boozy's virtual self would slide into view in a bloody dune buggy and pass the lot of us. Brilliant stuff.

3 points away from the series red McClaren but only have Horizon Arcade left available. You can imagine the fury when some rando joins your convoy and leaves you to clock up all the drift points on your own whilst they go off smashing cactus or whatever. Also, drifting sucks. Such a made up car thing.