IGNORED

Forza Horizon 5

Mr Do 71

20 minutes ago, pinholestar said:

I understand people’s desire for something with a more rigid and linear structure (even if I don’t share it myself) but once you get into the realms of wanting a Forza Horizon game to go down this route you completely remove its entire raison d'être.

I'm not really asking for the game to change at all, just maybe two options on the menu:

Forza Horizon Main Game

Forza Horizon Race Events

The main game is the same as it is now. Race events just gives you a menu of races and you select an event, select a pre-chosen car, and then do the race event/championship. Once completed, you're back to the list of race events and can choose a different race event to complete in. 

Given they are just linking to established race events I don't see how a simple list of races you can jump to is really going to take up too much development time to implement. Sure, it may not be the 'Horizon experience' but playing Halo on easy isn't really Halo. It is still a legitimate option to include for people though. 

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

It's interesting some see driving to the track as a chore as for me it's most of the game.

It's much easier to get a skill chain on this though isn't it? Without all the trees, there are also fewer cars and you can bomb down the highway flat out with ease, but that took some skill in FH4.

Have you got it on online mode? I tend to put it on Offline mode because I actually like having AI controlled drivatars bombing around, non-ghosted. I think perhaps there are is more regular AI traffic as well. It gives those freeway rides a mixture of slow and fast moving traffic that makes them really exhilarating. I prefer the relative predictability of AI opponents in free-roam than ghosted-out real people careening about all over the place.

3 hours ago, Girth Certificate said:

You can tell a vaguely predatory GAAS / Mobile shambles by how many different currencies it uses including real money. Pokemon Go has 2. A freeplay Pinball game I play has about 4.

Forza Horizon 5 has.....shitloads

Real Money > Credits > Forzathon Points > Accolade Points >  XP > VIP Car Token Things?

Nah, if you're going to throw Pokemon Go in there, you'll also need to include stardust, eggs, candy, mega candy, etc. I think I'd do Pokeballs too, as unless you earn them you can't play, even though you don't necessarily need to pay for them.

I think what FH5 struggles a bit with is that it doesn't explain what these things are for. There are a bajillion cars so you don't need to spend real money. Credits are simple enough. FP haven't been explained at all to my mind, they're just in your face on the assumption you were there when they were introduced in earlier games. Kinda the same with Accolade points - I immediately got that it was a refinement of the FH4 Lego expansion system, but I don't know how well a new player would do with that. Worse, the rewards from Lego bricks were immediate, no "collecting" individually, as you later commented on. I mean, I've rinsed FH2, 3 and 4 but didn't realize I had to go IN to Accolades and collect rewards.

XP seems a bit pointless now that we have the Accolade system, although it does give the mastery points for cars. I think it explained that? I don't really pay attention and have loads building up as I'm not sure what car to put them on.

VIP car tokens? You paid for those with the Premium, if you mean the thing that gives you a free car (or house).

I don't think this game was ready to launch, it's clearly not the usual level of Playground polish.

I think what bothers me about the season/thon/whatever bombardment is that it throws a bunch of that at me at startup and I don't really know what it is but there's apparently some time-limited rewards for getting involved? So there's a bit of unwanted FOMO there. I would like a Delorean!

Regarding discovering wheelspins late, I remember FH4 once accidentally giving about 200 super wheelspins to anyone that managed to log into their in-game Inbox for the 12 hours or so before it got fixed (was meant to be 20). That took a few sessions for my kid to work through!

I think the main 'campaign' for this one is supposed to be the Horizon Adventure thing - earning 'stamps' and going round opening up new festival sites, each themed to a different type of event, then unlocking the events within and completing them. You earn those stamps with Accolade Points, which is probably the main way to track your single-player progress away from the online and GAAS elements. You can get Accolades by doing most things, but completing and winning races is the most obvious and traditional way.

XP is really just for levelling up, which is nothing more than a number. I think perhaps new stuff unlocks as you level up in the early days, but the most obvious thing is that each XP level gives you a Wheelspin. 

I'd say the Festival Playlist is intended as more endgame stuff, to use the GAAS parlance. It expects you to have a bunch of stuff unlocked in order to compete (eligible/competitive cars, event types), and also expects you to do a bit of research to ensure you bring the right car. For example, one of this weeks' seasonal championships has a Sports Car restriction, but is all offroad races, so you'd need to customise your sports car for offroad racing in order to have a good time. Then the seasonal Danger Sign requires a S1-class Retro Sports Car, which will almost certainly require you to upgrade a car of that type (I don't think there are any S1-class Retro Sports Cars in the Autoshow).

I think being able to compete in the Festival Playlist is the long-term carrot, and you should focus more on playing through the Horizon Adventure in the early stages, gradually amassing a suite of cars, and earning credits to buy houses to unlock useful perks.

5 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

There's a glitch you can use to buy the DeLorean for 15,000 credits. Open up the Car Collection, highlight the DeLorean, then back out of the screen. Go straight back in and press Y quickly and you'll be allowed to buy it. Works for the first slot on each manufacturer.

you can also buy jeeps and spent Car Upgrade Star Money on them to get cheap super wheelspins. and then send them off into the ether with a nice wee message to build up Kudos Money.

It's a shame you can't send out gift cars to only people in your club. 

13 minutes ago, Pob said:

I think being able to compete in the Festival Playlist is the long-term carrot, and you should focus more on playing through the Horizon Adventure in the early stages, gradually amassing a suite of cars, and earning credits to buy houses to unlock useful perks.

Agree with this, which is unfortunate when it's front and center when you login. That made total sense when it was eventually added as a new thing, but less so at the start of a new game.

22 minutes ago, Pete said:

It's interesting some see driving to the track as a chore as for me it's most of the game.

Me too, I spend ages just bombing around parts of the world, looking for the bonus boards, opening roads, doing speed traps, danger signs etc.  Thats a big part of FH and in many ways my favourite part of the open world driving genre that TDU kicked off. 

Every now and then I'll do a few races or a story or whatever 

22 minutes ago, Pete said:

It's much easier to get a skill chain on this though isn't it? Without all the trees, there are also fewer cars and you can bomb down the highway flat out with ease, but that took some skill in FH4.

Yeah, its loads easier and with the skill song playing I've hit a chain of over a million.  I then checked accolades and saw there were some at 1.5 million and above so should have kept it going!

Having fewer trees makes it a lot easier to make your own cross country short cuts too

10 minutes ago, TehStu said:

I don't think this game was ready to launch, it's clearly not the usual level of Playground polish.

It's mostly fine I think, more network related bugs than you'd like but certainly way better than a lot of modern games though that is perhaps not saying much!

In terms of things not being explained I think they just need to add some textural descriptions to things and perhaps have a few more optional into to ... bits when you first do a particular activity.  It does assume quite a bit of familiarity with the FH series and TBH the series has never really been heavy on the explanations or leading you through stuff.  Ultimately it is an open world game with lots of exploration and discovery; it shouldn't be highlighting a min/max path through the activities and isn't trying to do that.

Also, anyone who doesn't want to see a map of icons can filter them easily with RB, each type of thing can be separately toggled on/ off and it remembers how you set it.  Only takes a few seconds to do and it kind of minimises the appearance of some of the toggled off stuff in the open world too

Yeah, its loads easier and with the skill song playing I've hit a chain of over a million.  I then checked accolades and saw there were some at 1.5 million and above so should have kept it going!

one of the accolades is to build up a million and then fuck it into a wall and lose it :lol:  

why when you tag an accolade for a particular speed trap/drift zone etc does it not automatically set it as your destination? surely that's the whole point?

I’ve tried out Performance Mode. It plays really nicely but definitely looks a bit flatter than the Quality Mode without all the post-processing shenanigans. Still, I’ve seen every area of the game now so I guess shinies aren’t as important anymore. Think I’ve left it a bit late to get into the Seasonal stuff this week, I have a lot to do to earn that Delorean!

2 hours ago, Pob said:

.For example, one of this weeks' seasonal championships has a Sports Car restriction, but is all offroad races, so you'd need to customise your sports car for offroad racing in order to have a good time. 

Ah, that's what I need to do. Tuning your car looks scary, though.

2 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

It’s got more pop-in on Series S performance mode than fucking Space Harrier. 

Series X isn't much better either... or the PC. Think its a limitation of the engine as it even occurs using more powerful PC GPUs too  (RTX 3080) ... problem is now I've seen it having difficulty un-seeing it! :D Looks to be a LOD thing more than object pop in completely. But its really noticeable on tree tops and foliage on the ground.

Video showing the effect below... only watch if you really need too! If you haven't noticed it keep playing... ignore the video and enjoy the game!

Mostly when you are racing you are looking at the path ahead so hardly noticeable... its more so when you are heading cross country I guess or just driving around..

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Yeah that's a funny one, the actual racing in these games is never hugely exciting for the most part, it's all about the open world stuff for me. Although the Gauntlet and Goliath are a joy.

I tend to use fast travel depending on my mood but I do like taking time to explore/try PR events/just drive around building skill chains.

I've hit my first playlist issue. The daily task to post a clean lap on any Rivals event isn't unlocking. I've tried several events including the monthly and have gotten clean laps but it won't unlock. 

9 minutes ago, Dalvado said:

I tend to use fast travel

I think we all will eventually, I've clocked a silly number of miles in FH4 and with the hub amassed 60m credits (admittedly, thanks in part to coming back to the game after long stints off and getting lots of super wheelspin cash). Think fast travel is about 2k for me there. Early on though, I tend to do the nearest event.