IGNORED

Forza Horizon 5

Mr Do 71

1 minute ago, FatOldGeek said:

I dislike the type of prick depicted in this game as much as anyone, but surprisingly it doesn’t seem to annoy me anywhere near as much as it’s annoying some of you guys. Perhaps I’m becoming more mellowed out as I age. 

I'm the reverse it would appear. As much as I try to fight against it, I am clearly a product of my poor deceased dad's loins and as such I become more and more like Victor Meldrew each and every day. 

I'm also losing the hair on my head rapidly, and I'm pretty sure the cold winds affect my brain ;)

Right, after searching for a bit I learned that the HDR settings are not set in the game's menu anymore but the game looks at the HDR calibration tool in the Xbox settings this time around. Makes sense.

Also, I found out the FH5 settings for each console (please correct me if I'm wrong):

CONSOLE			PERFORMANCE MODE	QUALITY MODE		HDR10		P/Q OPTION

Base Xbox One		1080p30			N/A			N/A		N/A

Xbox One S		1080p30			N/A			Y		N/A

Xbox One X		2160p30			N/A			Y		N/A

Xbox Series S		1080p60			1440p30			Y		Y

Xbox Series X		2160p60			2160p30			Y		Y

Source.

Edited by Meers
Series S performance mode is 1440p30

I've never though I was 'that guy' with frame rates and always been quite happy to play games however they came out, I started playing this on performance mode on the X Series and it's lovely, I'm not really seeing the pop in that some do.

Last night I flipped it to quality mode to see what it was about and I found it literally unplayable, it seemed so juddery and rather than 30fps seemed like that old Stunt Race FX on SNES, it wasn't just the graphics but the controls too.

I'm surprised at how big the difference felt to me as never normally bothered by this stuff that much.

Looks like I'm a 60fps whore now. 

2 minutes ago, Meers said:

Right, after searching for a bit I learned that the HDR settings are not set in the game's menu anymore but the game looks at the HDR calibration tool in the Xbox settings this time around. Makes sense.

Also, I found out the FH5 settings for each console (please correct me if I'm wrong):

CONSOLE			PERFORMANCE MODE	QUALITY MODE		HDR10		P/Q OPTION

Base Xbox One		1080p30			N/A			N/A		N/A

Xbox One S		1080p30			N/A			Y		N/A

Xbox One X		2160p30			N/A			Y		N/A

Xbox Series S		1080p60			1080P30			Y		Y

Xbox Series X		2160p60			2160p30			Y		Y

Source.

I think DF said the series S quality mode is 1440p.

It's not about being old, grumpy, or smelling of piss (even though all of those apply to me) it's about wondering who exactly the tone of this game is for, because it definitely doesn't feel youthful or fresh. It reminds me of some of the hopelessly clueless marketing managers I worked with in my stint as a freelance designer, where the most appalling ideas got signed off and published despite everyone else on the team puking into buckets.

Games should have a voice and a personalty, I'm not against that - but not when they're David Brent.

It’s weird, I hate all that emote, “OMG awesome”, LETS GET FUCKING CRAZY bullshit as much as the next man (well maybe not in this thread) but I’ve loved the game so much over the last few days it’s almost like it’s put some kind of memory loss spell on me. I know that shit is in here in spades but I can’t actually remember any of it. And I know it really annoyed me in FH4 so, I dunno. I have no point. I love this game. Duuude. 

9 hours ago, BitterToad said:

But the lead character in this? He's this smug sarcastic flat prick that just sucks all of the life out of everything. And he's supposed to be me! That cunt is not me. 

Indeed. Think adding a voice to the character was one step too far IMHO - in fact the cut scenes involving "you" are just acted out scenes that may as well not even involve your avatar - it makes it more impersonal because its forcing you into being something you aren't. One of the key things on RPG is that it allows for lots of customisation of your character to mould your online persona. Other than dressing our character up and changing the hair colour etc this completely misses the mark IMHO.

Happily I can ignore most of this stuff and just treat the cutscenes as irrelevant - which they are and get on with the racing. Also I have to accept I'm not the target audience for all this crap. But it is what it is I guess. Gaming covers a wide demographic these days and this games design is evidence of this. As an old school gamer don't like the fluff and happy to use my own imagination whilst some like their entertainment pre-baked for them.

I’ve had to set my desktop to 60hz to play this. Normally it’s set to 120hz and I have g-sync on, but the game’s frame pacing is all over the place. It’s like being towed by a big piece of elastic. 
R5 3600 and an RTX3070 here. Capping it at 60hz fixes this thankfully. 

Also the glitch with textures in the distance not rendering is putting me off, the scenery looks like Oblivion on the 360. 

Such an awesome game spoiled by some glitches, I hope it gets patched soon. 

10 hours ago, BitterToad said:

I think it's the lead character. I came to the realisation tonight that at literally no point in the 12 and a half hours I've played of this over the last week would the experience have been lessened by the lead character simply saying nothing after whatever nonsense was spouted in his direction. 

All of that "hey man lets do a super cool race" stuff is bad, always has been, but I've always managed to ignore it. But the lead character in this? He's this smug sarcastic flat prick that just sucks all of the life out of everything. And he's supposed to be me! That cunt is not me. 

Change to being a woman - that voice actor hasn’t annoyed me too much yet.

I managed to fit in a couple of hours of this last night and really enjoyed it. So far it is just more of the same, but since I loved FH4 i really don't mind. All the fluff doesn't bother me too much, but the music selection seems to be even worse than before. Found 2 tracks I like so far which isn't a great hit rate. I've been playing it on 60 fps mode on series X but I am at a loss to see why they couldn't have had 4k as well (the same as FH4). The pop up seems quite bad but I don't think I want to go to 30fps as I'd prioritise a smooth controlling experience over some graphical bells and whistles. 

2 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

I managed to fit in a couple of hours of this last night and really enjoyed it. So far it is just more of the same, but since I loved FH4 i really don't mind. All the fluff doesn't bother me too much, but the music selection seems to be even worse than before. Found 2 tracks I like so far which isn't a great hit rate. I've been playing it on 60 fps mode on series X but I am at a loss to see why they couldn't have had 4k as well (the same as FH4). The pop up seems quite bad but I don't think I want to go to 30fps as I'd prioritise a smooth controlling experience over some graphical bells and whistles. 

The 60fps mode is 4K. It’s just got settings reductions to LOD, shadows etc compared to quality.

32 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

It's also surprisingly difficult to make your avatar look like a proper idiot which would help.

Oh I don't know - with a bit of effort it's pretty straightforward.  Like the specimen I saw during an online race with a shiny copper boiler suit, a shit ton of bling, shades and a stetson.  Alongside his vehicle - a white van with 'Kiddy Catcher' written on one side, and 'Free V Bucks' on the other. 

3 minutes ago, Girth Certificate said:

The game could use some wee tweaks to make the racing more exciting and less time-trial'y, maybe make the CPU drivers a bit more aggressive. 

Not sure about FH5, but the Motorsport games have an AI aggression option in them. And I'm sure the older Horizon games had it as well if I'm not mistaken.

And it also depends on the person whose Drivatar you're racing against. If they're all polite racers, you won't see much aggression in their Drivatar AI.

My son really enjoyed his first day with it yesterday - he's got Game Pass on his One X, so I watched what he was doing and the difference in visuals compared to on my Series X on a 55" LG C1 is massive.

On his machine, it still looks brilliant, but it just reinforced how incredible this runs on the X.  I've been using Performance Mode btw.

Speaking selfishly, I wish that 30fps mode wasn't there, taunting me with its promises of higher fidelity graphics! I've resolved to always go 60, especially for a game like this, but the pop-in is noticeable, and so far the graphics haven't blown me away as much as they did when I played the upgrades FH4 on the Series X. I'm sure there have been lots of advancements in FH5 but the souped-up version of FH4 just looked so incredibly clean and solid.

25 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

But what about Sid’s gEnUiNe CoNcErNs?

(thank you for the tip)

Yeah the female voice actor is significantly better.

I had to change to her after my second race as whoever does the voice for the bloke is annoying as fuck.

They are both voiced by what sounds like total amateurs though.

This looks beautiful. I have to confess that as a 42 year old man, I found the intro faintly embarrassing, what with DJ Scott Tyler shouting EDM gibberish over some extreme to the max driving nonsense. It all feels a bit like middled-aged men making a TikTok channel aimed at young people, which I (a middle-aged man) am watching by accident. Nobody wins here.

It would be great if one of the Horizon stories was Scott Tyler being tortured and dismembered by one of the Cartels, and you subsequently had to find his scattered body parts and bring them back to the Horizon festival for repatriation to the US. Sort of like the barn finds, except you're using your drone to look for Scott Tyler's eyes.

9 minutes ago, Pob said:

Speaking selfishly, I wish that 30fps mode wasn't there, taunting me with its promises of higher fidelity graphics! I've resolved to always go 60, especially for a game like this, but the pop-in is noticeable, and so far the graphics haven't blown me away as much as they did when I played the upgrades FH4 on the Series X. I'm sure there have been lots of advancements in FH5 but the souped-up version of FH4 just looked so incredibly clean and solid.

Neither of the two graphics modes is quite right, and I've spent far too much time switching between them when I should have just been playing the game. I hope they can add a "full detail / 60 fps / lower res" mode at some point in the future.

Other than that, the game is basically exactly the same as FH4 but with even more annoying influencer shit; I'm glad I got it free on Game Pass or I'd have serious buyer's remorse right now.