IGNORED

Forza Horizon 5

Mr Do 71

CON: The profanity filter wouldn't allow me to set my plate to "COW POOH", apparently there was a blocked word.

PRO: Just about everything else. I can live with moronic story stuff, because while it's annoying it isn't even in the same league as the Rider's Republic crap was. It's not even as horrific as Test Drive Unlimited was way back when. It is quite sad that AAA developers only make games for teenage boys these days, but when it's just wrapping around such delicious gameplay, I just find it really hard to stay angry.

1 hour ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

Just to pick up on the drift/gears discussion, I'm at the point in fh4 where I'm mopping up the drift challenges and yeah, its hard. This is with all assists off except automatic gearing and gps racing line.

Thing is, in forza motorsport I always used to drive manual, with up and down mapped to x/b and clutch on a, and this was easy enough on tracks because you can memorise the speed/gear you need to enter on. However when you have an entire map of turns you can't do that, you have to eyeball it, and it's all a bit too much multitasking for me! I do find listening to your revs sort of helps judge when you need to shift, but having the manual dexterity to do it smoothly is another matter.

Turn the braking line on.

1 hour ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

Just to pick up on the drift/gears discussion, I'm at the point in fh4 where I'm mopping up the drift challenges and yeah, its hard. This is with all assists off except automatic gearing and gps racing line.

Thing is, in forza motorsport I always used to drive manual, with up and down mapped to x/b and clutch on a, and this was easy enough on tracks because you can memorise the speed/gear you need to enter on. However when you have an entire map of turns you can't do that, you have to eyeball it, and it's all a bit too much multitasking for me! I do find listening to your revs sort of helps judge when you need to shift, but having the manual dexterity to do it smoothly is another matter.

One thing I liked in GT4 on PS2 was the suggested gear option. It would flash up as you approached a corner and made me try gears - they promptly got set back to automatic though as I was all fingers and thumbs. 

3 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

CON: The profanity filter wouldn't allow me to set my plate to "COW POOH", apparently there was a blocked word.

PRO: Just about everything else. I can live with moronic story stuff, because while it's annoying it isn't even in the same league as the Rider's Republic crap was. It's not even as horrific as Test Drive Unlimited was way back when. It is quite sad that AAA developers only make games for teenage boys these days, but when it's just wrapping around such delicious gameplay, I just find it really hard to stay angry.

I was hoping for the option to finish an intense race, drive back to the festival, then have a cup of tea and put my feet up. Maybe read a book.

On another note my four old son giggled with complete joy when the announcer said his name.

8 minutes ago, Vimster said:

Would love the option of a CR equivalent for prizes. Oka so horns and emotes wold get you 5cr, but you cold save a bit of hassle by taking the money instead of a car rather than having to sell it. 

If they follow the FH4 model that was introduced post-launch, if you win a car and already have it in a garage, it offers to automatically offer you half the value in CR.

If you goose a corner, don't forget that you can hit Y to rewind a bit and have another go. Didn't lift off enough while the braking line was yellow? No problem. Good way to learn the mechanics. For some reason I keep forgetting to hit Y, and used to end up driving back to danger signs repeatedly to have another crack. If you leave a ramp at the wrong angle though, rewind! Doh.

39 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

I find driving around the map to the next event a real chore. Needs a fast travel.

Fortunately is has a fast travel feature; Loving your negativity though I'm guessing you've already submitted your 0/10 metacritic review under the pseudonym "PHILSPANKER69"??

Happy Forza Day to the poors just starting out! Absolutely beautiful and a different world to the beige U.K.

RNG’d a Ferrari 599xx e from my first super wheelspin. So happy as it took like 4 seasons worth of tokens to get that car on FH4.

3 minutes ago, Yoshimax said:

Fortunately is has a fast travel feature; Loving your negativity though I'm guessing you've already submitted your 0/10 metacritic review under the pseudonym "PHILSPANKER69"??

Is there any way, any way at all, that this can just be a nice fun driving game and you can leave all of this bullshit in the fanboy thread? This sort of thing is about as cringy as the lead character's voice and he makes me want to eat razorblades. 

18 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I'm genuinely surprised how much better this looks in Quality mode over Performance. From videos I thought they'd be quite close but the difference is really striking. My inner graphics whore is already wondering if I can get used to playing it in 30fps because it really is quite a stunning-looking thing.

Quality is the way to go tbh, it's a very smooth 30 and looks amazing.

5 minutes ago, Yoshimax said:

This makes you look like an idiot. Can't people have opinions. FFS.

42 minutes ago, cavalcade said:

Mika Hakkinen won two F1 world championships doing it....

I do the simultaneous feathering of braking and accelerating too, and thought that it seemed like an odd thing to do but worked nonetheless.

Also, probably worth mentioning straight-line braking and not putting the hammer down too hard? Especially with traction control and abs off, seems to make a big difference, assuming you're aiming for a clean corner and arent slinging the back end out.

32 minutes ago, skondo said:

On another note my four old son giggled with complete joy when the announcer said his name.

I genuinely loved that moment! There are literally hundreds of names to choose, should you wish, but as one who was never able to find a pen or keyfob with my own name on when I was a kid, hearing it in this was a very pleasant surprise.

28 minutes ago, Yoshimax said:

Well obviously the developers knew some people would find it a chore and have added a house of some description so people are saying.

I don’t have a metacritic account and I don’t know who Phil is.

10 minutes ago, pinholestar said:

I'm usually a huge advocate of 60fps and given the option in Series X games I've always taken it without fail. This game is different though and having spent around 10 hours in each of the Performance and Quality modes I've eventually settled on Quality.

Performance mode still looks fantastic, is silky smooth and with the faster input response objectively plays better, but the rather aggressive foreground pop-in and sacrifices made in things like post-processing, lighting and foliage density means that a pretty significant difference between the two modes does become apparent when you've spent a good amount of time in each. In the middle of races at 200mph you don't notice it so much it's true, but for a game in which a huge part of the appeal is exploring its sumptuous world taking in the sights I think the Quality mode is the better option. It just feels so incredibly rich in detail and image quality in that mode. I also take a lot of photos though, so that's a pretty big factor.

I don't know how they've done it (I think the motion blur implementation has a lot to do with it) but it's by far the smoothest 30fps game I've ever experienced and plays like a dream. Never thought I'd be saying that and it probably won't be a popular opinion, but here we are.

Ultimately Performance mode is closer to a souped up last-gen version running at 60fps whereas Quality mode is the full-on next-gen experience with all the bells and whistles and it looks fucking mindblowing. Happy to make an exception and be a graphics whore for this one but either way the engine's scalability is incredibly impressive and Playground Games have firmly established themselves as one of the technical powerhouses of the industry. The game's an absolute marvel whichever way you choose to feast on it.

Agree 100% with this. I always choose performance mode but quality mode in this is just too good. Probably the most next-gen looking game I've played so far, over Ratchet and Clank even. Performance mode still looks good and is obviously a bit smoother and more responsive but it doesn't have quite the same wow factor.

As you say, maybe not so important when racing around at 200mph but when I'm just pottering around the world taking it all in, quality is the way to go for me.

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

The whole aspect of the 'story' is pretty awful. It feels like it's desperately trying to be hip and cool for the kids, but it's fairly embarrassing? It feels like they've asked a whole load of Youtubers into the voice recording booth and got them to do everything. 

Aside from that, it's awesome fun. I am shite at it at the moment, mind.

If you think this game is bad (And it kinda is) for that sort of thing check out Riders Republic. It's physically painful.

37 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Quality is the way to go tbh, it's a very smooth 30 and looks amazing.

The only thing I don't like about it is the level of motion blur when you take a sharp bend. Everything smears to shit as the camera turns sharply, and even on an LG CX it looks bad. Standard 30fps vs 60fps protocol, though, I guess. The actual driving is still very smooth at 30 and feels great. 

Those who hate the horns and shit in spins can easily spam any drift car, master it to to 7x combo (with some added master points for combo shit)

You need to earn about 55k points at x7 for 2 superspins (or 10 car master points which is the max).

Only takes 3 minutes or so if you put points on your drift car. But don't crash!

Then buy the Toyota GR Supra for 55k. Its car master table requires only 5 car master points for a superspin (so 3 surprises). 

Then buy another and away you go.

2 minutes ago, Dimahoo said:

Those who hate the horns and shit in spins can easily spam any drift cart for masters then buy the Toyota GR supra for 55k.

Only 5 car master points for a superspin.

Then buy another and away you go.

The Willys Jeep is even cheaper at 40k and gives you a Superspin for the same amount of mastery points. There's a shitload of people getting those as gifts in the barns right now, I'd imagine.

1 minute ago, pinholestar said:

The Willys Jeep is even cheaper at 40k and gives you a Superspin for the same amount of mastery points. There's a shitload of people getting those as gifts in the barns right now, I'd imagine.

Ah right. Nice. Suspect the Toyota was found out early as its one of the first 3 cars.