IGNORED

Forza Horizon 5

Mr Do 71

5 hours ago, Eighthours said:

I hope that Fable has better lipsync than this. It's practically non-existent in the cutscenes, like they couldn't be bothered.

Everything else about this game is AMAZING.

I was digging through deep vegetation with the drone, looking for a barn, and it suddenly occurred to me that a driving game engine looked this detailed. Playground are masters of this machine, and I can't wait to see what they can do with Fable.

20 minutes ago, Quest said:

I think I did the first race in a three part championship. If I try to start another race it warns me I'll abandon the current championship, but the map is so cluttered I have no idea which ones I should be doing. 

Is it a seasonal championship?

Just now, TehStu said:

I was digging through deep vegetation with the drone, looking for a barn, and it suddenly occurred to me that a driving game engine looked this detailed. Playground are masters of this machine, and I can't wait to see what they can do with Fable.

Me too, it’s going to look ridiculous!

29 minutes ago, davejm said:

I tried today's Fanatec beta drivers at lunchtime; and did two missions without a crash.  And couldn't even finish a mission before.  Will try some more missions this evening!

cheers for the info, hope that fixed it! i'm not on fanatec, apparently thrustmaster and logitech wheels are having problems too, i'll just give it a try on pc and see what happens, if it crashes i'll try xbox!

Just to pick up on the drift/gears discussion, I'm at the point in fh4 where I'm mopping up the drift challenges and yeah, its hard. This is with all assists off except automatic gearing and gps racing line.

Thing is, in forza motorsport I always used to drive manual, with up and down mapped to x/b and clutch on a, and this was easy enough on tracks because you can memorise the speed/gear you need to enter on. However when you have an entire map of turns you can't do that, you have to eyeball it, and it's all a bit too much multitasking for me! I do find listening to your revs sort of helps judge when you need to shift, but having the manual dexterity to do it smoothly is another matter.

29 minutes ago, Simmy said:

I am so shit at driving games but I really like the Horizon series.

Anyone got any quick tips for taking corners? I never know whether to slow down or press A or what... I always seem to take it wrong :)

Slow in... fast out.... don't brake on the corner itself brake on approach... :) Of course you can also drift around corners but if you are attacking times you'll loose time doing that (although much more fun!) ...  :) 

The whole aspect of the 'story' is pretty awful. It feels like it's desperately trying to be hip and cool for the kids, but it's fairly embarrassing? It feels like they've asked a whole load of Youtubers into the voice recording booth and got them to do everything. 

Aside from that, it's awesome fun. I am shite at it at the moment, mind.

10 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

This is quite a specific question...

For those that have already poked around in the options menus, is it possible to exclude specific friends from becoming Drivatars? A good friend of mine passed away a few years ago. I've still got him on my friends list because it feels disrespectful to remove him, and I like occasionally booting up an old game and seeing him in the high score charts, stuff like that. But I don't particularly want to see his corpse driving around in Forza Horizon 5. Is there any kind of granularity here or is it simply Drivatars on or off?

I am pretty sure that's not possible other than by blocking/removing him from your friends list. I think I'd quite like that I remember a story about a kid who's Dad had passed and he found a copy of Rallisport2 or something and his Dad's ghosts were there and he got a lot of comfort being able to race them.

3 minutes ago, JoeK said:

The whole aspect of the 'story' is pretty awful. It feels like it's desperately trying to be hip and cool for the kids, but it's fairly embarrassing? It feels like they've asked a whole load of Youtubers into the voice recording booth and got them to do everything. 

Aside from that, it's awesome fun. I am shite at it at the moment, mind.

I'm mentally filtering it out. I did the (I think) first Baja thing yesterday, and I cringed after we waded into this beautiful area and dumped a bloody stage on it. I don't spend much time in the hubs though, thankfully.

I appreciate I'm not the demographic that's into all this sort of thing, though. Wondering if the new TDU will be more me, story wise, or if the neon will be dialed to 11.

1 minute ago, TehStu said:

I'm mentally filtering it out. I did the (I think) first Baja thing yesterday, and I cringed after we waded into this beautiful area and dumped a bloody stage on it. I don't spend much time in the hubs though, thankfully.

I appreciate I'm not the demographic that's into all this sort of thing, though. Wondering if the new TDU will be more me, story wise, or if the neon will be dialed to 11.

It definitely makes me feel old - I have to assume that there are younger folk out there who love this sort of thing. 

I'm not keen on having an avatar who I actively hate though ;) 

18 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Slow in... fast out.... don't brake on the corner itself brake on approach... :) Of course you can also drift around corners but if you are attacking times you'll loose time doing that (although much more fun!) ...  :) 

Thanks!! I know this sounds daft but for the "slow in" part - should that be finger off the right trigger and press left trigger - or like pressure on both triggers?

I know I am overcomplicating this but I just can't get it right :lol: and I am desperate to!

3 minutes ago, TehStu said:

I appreciate I'm not the demographic that's into all this sort of thing, though. 

Oh I think that is all completely tongue in cheek, isn't it? I thought this whole time it was a joke - is it meant to be serious? :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

I find driving around the map to the next event a real chore. Needs a fast travel.

You'll want the 2 million house which is somewhere on the west coast. I'm currently using the house which grants FP bonuses but I realized I'm not in a position to really start those yet, so am going to focus on the main game and get everything unlocked. 

If anyone bought the premium upgrade, I'm guessing the fast travel house is the one you'll want to spend your free house voucher on?

Just now, BitterToad said:

If you hate driving between the events you're going to hate the events. 

They’re quite good. It’s your typical bash your way to the front and then don’t see another car again for 2 laps. Like most driving games. It’s got a decent feel to it.

The little switch ups they do in the more story orientated sections are quite exhilarating.

Just now, Simmy said:

Thanks!! I know this sounds daft but for the "slow in" part - should that be finger off the right trigger and press left trigger - or like pressure on both triggers?

I know I am overcomplicating this but I just can't get it right :lol: and I am desperate to!

So if you have the braking line on treat yellow as when you should ease off the accelerator and red as when you should brake. I tend to do both a little earlier than when the car's touching them so I'm definitely slow enough into the corner, then as soon as you can see you've made the turn hit the accelerator and get your speed up. I wouldn't tend to touch both triggers at the same time because why would you accelerate and brake at the same time?

50 minutes ago, Simmy said:

I am so shit at driving games but I really like the Horizon series.

Anyone got any quick tips for taking corners? I never know whether to slow down or press A or what... I always seem to take it wrong :)

Make sure there are a load of cars on the outside and use them to keep you from hitting the side. They're computer opponents, they won't mind, and they won't hesitate to barge into you as well. Note: I'm the same as you, love a driving game, and generally shit (Above Average is too hard for me).

8 minutes ago, Simmy said:

Yes finger off tap the brake to get the speed down... turn the corner then flat out on the right trigger again as you head out the corner onto the straight again. Of course getting the right speed for the severity of the corner is the key skill there... :) Kind of comes with practice Forza Horizon is a lot more forgiving I'm guessing than sim games for sure. 

It becomes second nature when you get the hang of it. Also if you are really feeling adventurous and want to gun for times you can use manual gears as they will allow more control over speed and allow for quicker cornering. Generally with Forza Horizon though I just play it like an arcade game auto box etc... leave the time attack stuff for circuit based sim games. Saying that though this is the beauty of the FH games you can go full sim if you want by adjusting everything!

3 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

So if you have the braking line on treat yellow as when you should ease off the accelerator and red as when you should brake. I tend to do both a little earlier than when the car's touching them so I'm definitely slow enough into the corner, then as soon as you can see you've made the turn hit the accelerator and get your speed up. I wouldn't tend to touch both triggers at the same time because why would you accelerate and brake at the same time?

Mika Hakkinen won two F1 world championships doing it....

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

So had another blast a lunchtime on this. Got another barn find. They seem to take a while on this to get fixed up though? I've now got two barn finds and can't even access the first yet... although it seems I can fast track it for 300K credits or something. Which is clearly by design. How long do they take to unlock out of interest?

I've only had 1 barn find so far but it got fixed up pretty quickly as both happened within my quick blast over lunch, cant have been more than 30 mins apart, probably less.  Dont they vary in length though, I seem to remember that one in particular on FH4 took absolutely ages?

6 minutes ago, JoeK said:

It definitely makes me feel old - I have to assume that there are younger folk out there who love this sort of thing. 

I'm not keen on having an avatar who I actively hate though ;) 

It's not just you, the whole festival thing leaves me cold and it's worse in 5 than it was in 4 (which I've recently been playing again in anticipation of this)

I think adding a voice to your character is part of what makes it even more cringy in FH5

7 minutes ago, StumpyJohn said:

I think adding a voice to your character is part of what makes it even more cringy in FH5

I *think* you can turn this off. In other news won a beige skirt in a wheelspin at lunchtime.

Really hate having clothes and horns etc in wheelspins... cash and cars would suit me fine. 

1 hour ago, JimmytheMook said:

I'm on PC and seems very well optimised. You might be surprised what performance you can get with a 3060. Maybe run the benchmark test?

Yeah I'm getting 4k 60fps on Ultra with a 3080 and i7, it looks and runs great. Not played much yet though to be fair as I'm really tired and not feeling great.

5 minutes ago, MattyP said:

I *think* you can turn this off. In other news won a beige skirt in a wheelspin at lunchtime.

Cool, I'll see if I can find that in the options later on

5 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Really hate having clothes and horns etc in wheelspins... cash and cars would suit me fine. 

Totally agree; the horns, emotes and clothes can all <Logan Roy> Fuck Off!

I'm genuinely surprised how much better this looks in Quality mode over Performance. From videos I thought they'd be quite close but the difference is really striking. My inner graphics whore is already wondering if I can get used to playing it in 30fps because it really is quite a stunning-looking thing.