IGNORED

Forza Horizon 5

Mr Do 71

1 minute ago, StoooTube said:

The biggest one for me though… the cutscenes are in 21:9 and I’m running the game in 21:9, so why can’t they zoom in so the video fills the screen?! Surely it’s not that hard to implement?! (Says the guy with no programming experience at all!)

Well I guess its not doing too bad if that's the biggest con! :) 

3 minutes ago, Quest said:

Noooooooooooo. 

Maybe it's a good thing. I spent almost all of 3 and 4 in a Lancia. Maybe it's time to move on. :unsure:

Indeed as I did in an Alfa! :D Think it was just more habit in the end and I messed around customising the paint etc on it. Thinking about it its the first Forza game for a while that hasn't had a single Alfa in... always seem to find one somewhere... :( I expect there will be some DLC at some point with one in...

5 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

I still hate drifiting. Will I EVER learn how to do this well? (Yes, I've turned off traction control.)

I did watch a few tutorial videos for drifting in FH4, apparently it's better if you use gears - I can't use gears - and the long and the short of it was "you'll get the hang of it eventually". In other games drifting has "clicked" for me, it never felt like I was learning how to drift, more it just happened. My drifting is more like powersliding around corners, it's not the nice smooth sideways motion of proper drifting. If anyone has any good tips please share. 

Also if anyone has any good tips about moving to manual gears for someone who doesn't drive in real life and has always played racing games automatic since the year dot other than things like Outrun with a hi/lo gear. 

1 hour ago, StoooTube said:

So how’s the wheel in this? I found FH3 and 4 pretty much unplayable with a wheel and went back to using the standard controller. I’m sure I read this had been tweaked to make using a wheel a bit better?

60fps or nothing for me these days, I always played them at 4k 30fps on my OneX until I had my back operation and connected the console to my bedroom TV which is 1080p. What a difference! I couldn’t go back after that, even though my 4k tv looked blurry with a 1080p signal. 
I’m going to be on PC this time so 1440p 60fps should be easily achievable. 

I found some settings  online for the wheel in FH3 and 4 and it transformed it. It was literally uncontrollable with default settings. After the tweaks it was brilliant. Do a trawl, I think I found a post on reddit somewhere. I'm about to try FH5 now - I hope to god it's better out of the box than the others were. The pad controls feel significantly better to me, especially off road, so I'm hopeful. 

Think drifting is something that just clicks at some point... essentially you have to turn into a corner apply the handbrake to get it sliding and flick the steering over the other way and maintain the power as you start sliding it feels totally unnatural.

I too hate manual gears on a pad... just to much faffing around with the extra buttons. Much easier on a wheel though.

Downloaded and played for an hour or so (4K 120fps, maxed out, on PC).

Hasn't blown me away like FH3 or 4 did - a function of my familiarity with their refining a working formula - though I'm still liking it and it'll be a fun game to while the odd hour or two away with.

Some gripes;

- the juxtaposition of 'provincial Love Island wannabe'/'working class hero' characters/audience targeting, with characters' portrayal through middle-class professional voice actors, still jars and grates.

- a ‘Red Dead Redemption with roads' look to the world (I know there's more variety & nuance overall - I'm going off first impressions for now), creates a been-there-done-it feeling that's amplified by this game being a refinement of the FH formula.

- the post-finish line presentation isn't as slick as is in FH4.  The transition/s from finish line through post-race menus in FH4 was very well done, enhancing the flow generated from playing.  FH5 just having a simple cut to black screen with text (then onto the rest of the race outro stuff), is a big step back.

30 minutes ago, MattyP said:

I think they would have been awful no matter how they tried not to make them. I'm guessing it isn't Playgrounds idea to have them in there somehow... :D 

It’s just so weird. Create one of Earths most detailed games, then chuck in some characters from a 90’s CD rom game voiced by actors from the talentless-acting-agency.

2 hours ago, davejm said:

I tried, but I can't control racers with the pad :(  And it feels so good on the wheel.

Is it all Fanatec wheels that are bugged at the moment? Wondering about trying my CSR although it’s a bit old now so I won’t be surprised if it’s not supported.

The guy voicing me is just awful, in a James Corden relaxed smug/arrogant kind of way. It's as thought the VO guy was given the direction "you're the superstar driver and you're totally comfortable with this and want to project that to everyone you meet". Maybe it's just me getting older and feeling a definite separation from people half my age, it sets my teeth on edge regardless. It seems at odds with the very upbeat NPCs who live in this permanent adventure holiday universe where it's racing every day. 

Personally I don't like chat in racing games. I remember playing TOCA Race Driver 3 and they had that Scottish mechanic. He was okay but would tell me off in race if I hit the sides or rear-ended another car. I don't need to be told how shit I am. 

I guess the chat is limited to big events so it's not too much of a pain. 

I unlocked a Porsche Taycan, didn't realise it was an EV until I got ahead of the pack in about 20s and there was no engine noise, the acceleration is like hitting a hyperspace button but the braking doesn't match - it's quite a handful.

Oddly the electric engine seems to not only kill engine noise (expected) but almost silent the squealing tyres too.

45 minutes ago, Vimster said:

Also if anyone has any good tips about moving to manual gears for someone who doesn't drive in real life and has always played racing games automatic since the year dot other than things like Outrun with a hi/lo gear. 

Pick your favourite car and go for a drive on some tarmac roads that aren't too straight and aren't too twisty. Don't bother with the clutch, ever.  Turn off the radio so you can hear the engine and don't concentrate on going hyper fast.  You'll learn when to go up or down a gear by the sound of the engine note.  It will either sound high-pitched and repetitive (bouncing off the rev limiter, so go up) or bogged down and no acceleration (so go down a couple).  Once you get a feel for when to go up / down by sound, then start sort of sprinting between corners - accelerate hard out of the corner and gear change, then slow down well before hand and gear change.  Think of it as button combos in a QTE - brake + gear down, throttle + gear up.

Hmmm, didn't put me into the club and I had to manually search and request an invite. I'm also getting kicked from online all the time (I seem to remember this happening in 3 a lot too). This is all on PC.

Hardly a blip on the game which is utterly gorgeous. Wish I had better luck at the spinner tho!

57 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

Is it all Fanatec wheels that are bugged at the moment? Wondering about trying my CSR although it’s a bit old now so I won’t be surprised if it’s not supported.

Apparently not just Fanatec wheels.  Just some wheels in general, and doesn't seem to affect everyone! 

Impossible for me to post here on my phone these days, so some more considered thoughts from 8 (! - simply flew by) hours on this yesterday as series vet (playing on Series X).

• Loading times much better all round, and all the faffing around before and after races much abbreviated 
  • Possibly the influx of new stuff is even more overwhelming in this since each new chapter thingy has you haring off somewhere else in the map (and who doesn't want to go up to the volcano as soon as possible), however
  • It's still possible to take your time and try to clear the initial area (the "welcome to" section) 
  • Organising XP into this menu system makes a lot more sense than just upgrading each activity (as in 4).    Often you are scoring in more than one category at once, for example by using a tune, in a particular car category in a particular race type.  I was trying to get one more chapter unlocked last night and found about 6 things popped at once on winning one event, so that was helpful
  • Working through this XP checklist provides more structure if you just want to work though in SP.  I suspect you will need to use a greater variety of car too.
  • I'm going with all assists off (except brake line and rewind) and drivatar of such difficulty to make winning, at least on road or dirt, feasible if not easy.  Cross country I'm hopeless at making up the difference and usually just focus on skills
  • Dirt racing seems improved - the scrambles are longer, and the Peugeot you get early doors is ideal for these.  I haven't unlocked road or street racing yet.
  • The first few 3* challenges seem easy - not sure if this is to ease one in, the results of purchasing decent tunes or just my super skillz.
  • Scenery is spectacular and obviously a big win over UK (which is no doubt why the seasons were implemented there), wonderful though that episode is.
  • I'm using the 30 fps version and I can't say I notice any problems.
  • Love the Latin emphasis in the classical radio.

Staggering to think I'm experiencing this for £nil (using rewards for a month of ultra).

My two top tips for newcomers (apart from vigorous use of the map filter)

When in an area with lots of little dirt tracks, make sure you cover them all before you leave, or if you see a bit of uncompleted road when passing go back and fill it in - saves a lot of time later.

If using some off-road capable vehicle in a time based challenge, drive to the destination cross country.

10 minutes ago, Quest said:

Anyone else had their car stop dead upon reaching a speed trap? It's happened to me  twice.

9 minutes ago, Scruff said:

Hmmm, didn't put me into the club and I had to manually search and request an invite. I'm also getting kicked from online all the time (I seem to remember this happening in 3 a lot too). This is all on PC.

Hardly a blip on the game which is utterly gorgeous. Wish I had better luck at the spinner tho!

There have been real server issues and it has been up and down all weekend. Assuming the servers can't cope. 

^ Yeah, I'm not complaining. They must be getting a thorough hammering, just merely pointing out the minor issues I was having in the hope it was a - general rather than isolated with me - thing :)

And candy apple paint is still the best paint (slightly above polished copper) and I'll fight (race) anyone who says otherwise.

This is a decent game. It’s really slick. Like when Dirt was at the top of its game, it’s got atmosphere.

Can’t do the 30fps smudge fest so it’s 60 all the way even though it looks a bit…less exciting.

It’s still just a driving game though and I guess that’s where the limitations are.

Would have benefitted from a 120hz freesync unlocked frame rate mode with quality settings just like flight simulator.

49 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

Would have benefitted from a 120hz freesync unlocked frame rate mode with quality settings just like flight simulator.

is that possible on Xbox flight sim? I suppose the difference is that they’ll have calibrated the frame time budgets here, whereas in flight sim - by its nature - from frame to frame the performance needs can be shockingly different and consistency of input response isn’t that important.

This is quite a specific question...

For those that have already poked around in the options menus, is it possible to exclude specific friends from becoming Drivatars? A good friend of mine passed away a few years ago. I've still got him on my friends list because it feels disrespectful to remove him, and I like occasionally booting up an old game and seeing him in the high score charts, stuff like that. But I don't particularly want to see his corpse driving around in Forza Horizon 5. Is there any kind of granularity here or is it simply Drivatars on or off?

Phwoooar this looks good in ultrawide. I've got every setting jammed to the absolute max and getting about 80-100fps at 3840x1600. It's incredibly beautiful whether still or in motion! It doesn't handle cutscenes brilliantly but it's always great when the awkwardly letterboxed cutscene gives way to a big expansive image.

ForzaHorizon5_mZTRfS66j4.thumb.jpg.113138d7caecae76cf9a25bf55f7a213.jpg