IGNORED

Forza Horizon 5

Mr Do 71

1 hour ago, Popo said:

Feeling a bit of FOMO reading this thread. Not that I have any time right now to play the game.

I came in to say it looks like they've made a killing with this early release for the premium edition. 

1 hour ago, skondo said:

Does anyone really give a shit about a few days? FFS!

It’s hard not to feel like you’re missing out when others are already playing. Like when you see people who paid for early boarding on an Easyjet flight.

9 hours ago, Dark Soldier said:

I know Game Pass isn’t free, but I find it amazing that people are more upset about paying to get it early than when you had to buy the game and still get it “late” like with FH3. 

Surely buying the game should afford you “DAY ONE” status (whatever you think that means) more than having it included in a subscription?

17 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I know Game Pass isn’t free, but I find it amazing that people are more upset about paying to get it early than when you had to buy the game and still get it “late” like with FH3. 

Surely buying the game should afford you “DAY ONE” status (whatever you think that means) more than having it included in a subscription?

They have genuine concerns about what this means for the overall viability of a subscription service that isn't tied to their preferred platform. Please understand.

I used to be annoyed about paying to play early - especially in games like GEars 5 where you don't get two enormous DLC packs, as you do with Forza. But I haven't paid for the last two Forza Horizon games, which I would have paid 55 quid for day one. Now I pay for DLC I'd have bought anyway and end up with it early.

I gave this a go on my aging PC (3570, RX480, 8GB RAM) and while playing it, it doesn't even look like the same game (looks closer in screenshots, especially when image scaled for the forum):

6-DB4-EEFD-E732-4-E68-9120-38706397-C01-

73-AEE130-F55-A-4800-8822-2484-AAB13-F23

The biggest difference is how with the lower settings, it kind of looks like the cars are gliding across the road. Dunno what gives it that effect, but it's really odd and takes away massively from it.

Way I see it is I'm getting to play a AAA game I would have normally bought for £8 for the month or less of you have done the gold sub conversion thing.

They have done early access for years now on the big releases. I don't agree with it on principle but it is what it is. Still get to play if people want to pay extra to play early if it gives them value why not. The only thing for online gaming is that it gives them a head start in terms of racking up levels and scores etc. 

In the end just stop playing thier games and using thier platform if you feel so strongly about it. Easy really. You could always go and pay £70 to play a PS5 AAA game.

Is GamePass making gamers cheap? I mean we have more options to play at different price points it's great. 

39 minutes ago, footle said:

The staged rollout, if it gives them an opportunity to fix the server issues, can only be a good thing.

I’ve been having server issues for months with FH4, tbh. Not sure it’s going to be sorted for launch. 

Think Boozy mentioned lots of server issues with 4 as well. 

Server issues have been my only gripe so far. Game is stunning and has that “just one more race” quality that had me playing well past when I needed to go to bed.

The location of the Baja outpost is stunning, plus the V10 adventure leads to the Koenigsegg Jesko. 🥰

Yeah, I think the early access, as well as being a money spinner, also lets them scale up the servers for their likely level on Tuesday. I do find it weird, though, that the dropouts have been quite this bad despite Playground launching so many games before! Maybe the demand was higher than anticipated, but they should always have ‘more’ capacity than they need as a mega budget first party title, tbh. It’s not like they’re a little third party dev that has to watch the pennies.

While I don’t like the concept of Early Access, there’s an undeniable thrill about feeling like you’re in there before other people. Also, I would have bought the DLC anyway so it just feels like I’m frontloading expenditure rather than being forced to do something because I have no willpower. That’s how I justify it to myself, anyway.

I haven’t tried performance mode yet. The talk of more pop-in is a bit aaargh, and while I don’t particularly like the motion blur at 30fps, I do value the next gen shinies, particularly in the jungle bits. I’ll probably give performance a go after I’ve seen all the biomes and don’t feel like I ‘need’ the visuals anymore.

The expeditions are wonderful. It’s a shame that making a whole game full of those would take a decade. DAT INTRO.

Also, structurally the Accolades have really helped things. I still find the weekly challenges to not be communicated at all well, unless I haven’t reached the part yet that explains them to new players.

3 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I’ve been switching it back and forth between 60 and 30 between sessions and both are very playable, but 60 just feels better, there’s no two ways about it. Am probably going to stick with it. 

It’s a shame there’s no 1440p/60 or Insomniac-esque 40fps mode. Maybe somewhere down the line we’ll get these or they’ll optimise further for pop-in.