IGNORED

Forza Horizon 5

Mr Do 71

Impressed with this so far, it's very Forza Horizon. Did the benchmark on PC and got an average 94fps with High settings, super smooth and looks ace. Thankfully not much blether at the start and you get to pick events not far in. Absolutely hate the fact your avatar has a voice now though. I used to like to answer the other characters in my way but now this prick keeps speaking for me.

I am finding this a lot moreish than 4 overall, despite being structurally very similar. Just think the setting is more fun to drive around. It’s absolutely gorgeous too. Still find it all massively overwhelming though, so SO MANY MENUS. 

Now I must sleep though

I loved FH4 but there’s no denying that Mexico is a far more visually interesting and geographically varied setting than the UK for an entry in the series. It was a great choice of location and the map is absolutely fantastic.

Incorporating the accolades grid from the Lego DLC into the main game was a really good idea and helps with the sense of progression immensely. The way the Expeditions introduce you to new areas of the map is really well done too and cresting the hill at nighttime to see the glittering lights of Guanajuato laid out below for the first time was jaw-dropping. Playground have such a flair for the dramatic in the way that they incorporate breathtaking vistas with heart pumping automotive set-pieces that you can only sit back and applaud. They’re seasoned masters of this stuff by now.

I played the first 5 hours or so in Quality mode and it lives up to its name - it’s absolutely stunning to look at and it’s the smoothest feeling 30fps you’ll ever experience. Anyone who says it’s unplayable is talking out of their fucking arse, frankly. But, with that said, given the option in a racer you just gotta go for the 60fps Performance mode in the end and it’s true that the graphical trade-off is just not as noticeable when everything is whizzing past you at 200mph. Flight Sim aside it’s easily the best looking title on Series X so far and despite being a cross-gen title they’ve smartly utilised the extra horsepower to deliver something that feels firmly next-gen.

This being a banger was about as sure a thing as you can get in this day and age but the quality and polish in every regard is just exceptional. It’s such a sumptuous and vibrant joy to tear around in and confirms Playground Games as being a true feather in the cap of Microsoft’s studios. If Halo delivers the goods then Xbox will have had a storming end to 2021.

1 hour ago, Vimster said:

Impressed with this so far, it's very Forza Horizon. Did the benchmark on PC and got an average 94fps with High settings, super smooth and looks ace. 

What kind of system you running on, out of curiosity?

Wondering how to delineate their 'min, recommended, ideal' specs. I'm assuming 'ideal' is everything at max on 4k at 99 million hz. Which is a bit overkill for me if so.

1 minute ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

What kind of system you running on, out of curiosity?

Wondering how to delineate their 'min, recommended, ideal' specs. I'm assuming 'ideal' is everything at max on 4k at 99 million hz. Which is a bit overkill for me if so.

My setup is a 1440p, so i7 8700, 2070, 32gb RAM (major RAM for other uses). It's over ideal specs but I get the impression it'll chug a bit if I put it on Ultra. High is perfectly fine though.

I did try to join the club... but not sure if it worked or not, as I can't see anything in game. :unsure:

Tag is tutsie bear if I could possibly have an invite at some point...sorry to add to the admin!

edit: not to worry, it’s showing up today! 

Are people playing this in 30 or 60fps?

After watching the DF video, I thought I’d try 30 but it looks really strange to me. It’s really subtle and difficult to explain but the road side detail seems to almost go into slow motion. Dunno if it’s some kind of bug or eyes are sensitive to it in odd way but it’s very off putting. 

Edit - Have joined the club btw. 

On 05/11/2021 at 08:30, SteveH said:

Completely missed the name picking at the start. Cheers :) 

Yeah, if you played Horizon 4 then I think it’s picking the same name as you had in that automatically. I thought it might be if you also chose the same avatar (that would be very clever!), but given that you have a mismatch, I expect it’s just reading from the previous game no matter what character you had on there.

1 minute ago, Eighthours said:

Yeah, if you played Horizon 4 then I think it’s picking the same name as you had in that automatically. I thought it might be if you also chose the same avatar (that would be very clever!), but given that you have a mismatch, I expect it’s just reading from the previous game no matter what character you had on there.

I have reached the point where I can choose a name and went for "cupcake" as it's equal parts cute and patronising :) 

34 minutes ago, SteveH said:

I have reached the point where I can choose a name and went for "cupcake" as it's equal parts cute and patronising :) 

27 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Sexism is alive and well!

I like it when the lady says welcome back Treacle. 

1 minute ago, Nosejam said:

Does ‘post a clean time on the leaderboard’ just mean not using rewind? Or does it mean not bashing into all the walls, which is my usual driving style. 

Not sure about rewind, but definitely means not bashing into walls. :D