Forza Horizon 5

Mr Do 71

3 hours ago, Quest said:

They refunded mine a few hours ago, but I'd already spent the weekend burning through the Hot Wheels DLC, so can't be too upset.

Just got my refund email an hour or so ago too.

Certainly, I'm not upset as it was clearly a misprice, but I don't like what this says about digital sales.  You're no longer buying a game, now, you're just buying a licence to play it when and if they decide to let you.

I'll be sticking to predominantly physical purchases for some time yet I guess...

On 04/11/2022 at 09:12, thesnwmn said:

If there's anything at fault, I think it's the faux live service nature of the game. All the weekly/monthly challenges and stuff are a turn off to me. I want more of an actual structure in the game. Whether it's the influence of Game Pass or external factors like Fortnite I think this need to be a long running service that people play continually dilutes the initial experience too much. And what's most sad about that is that this actually seems at odds with Game Pass - a service offering me so many games to try to keep up with that there is even less reason I'm going to want to keep returning to FH.

This is my issue with what FH has become. I am no longer the target demographic for it and have to accept that I guess. Think the "golden age" of arcade racing games were (for me anyway) back in the PS3/360 generation there were so many around although guessing that was also the issue too as the market got a bit saturated and the sales probably didn't hit expected targets. 

I've kind of given up a bit on arcade racers from the start of the XBO/PS4 gen really. Played a bit of DriveClub. Think the last racer I tried was Dirt 5 and it was OK if you like off road type games. I prefer road racers along the lines of Project Gotham Racing, Ridge Racer etc. So this is why I still have a 360 tucked away with some driving games for when I fancy a quick blast on some arcade racers - Sega Rally, PGR3/4, blur etc. 

There clearly isn't a massive market for these games anymore which is sad really but well we have some amazing examples of the genre we can still play! Just wish there wasn't so much licensing in the old games sometimes so they could make some more of them backward compatible. Be lovely to see some of those games mentioned above made BC so didn't have to drag old hardware out.

I'm still playing a fair bit of FH5 (not only because it's my go-to for the MS Rewards "Play a PC game with friends" daily points, but I do actually enjoy it). 

The Hot Wheels content is weird. The environments and some of the vehicles are fine, but I could do without the bits where it makes you drive in more-or-less a straight line for minutes on end so you can listen to a bad voice actor reading from the Wikipedia article about Hot Wheels. 

4 minutes ago, Mike1812 said:

I just started this on my new S last night. Damn, it's pretty. Handling seems pretty good too. Already looks like there's a lot of stuff to do. 

Any starting tips?

do one of each type of horizon festival to unlock the different types of races as soon as possible, pick a handful of cars that you really like and tune them then just enjoy. you don't need to buy every car, the game will throw freebies at you as you play and you want to spend your money initially on buying houses to unlock perks.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally made it: 1 million Accolade points. Looks like I'm the 10,231st to do so, which isn't too bad, although I would have liked to have gotten in the 10k bracket. I probably could have done it way sooner if I'd been strategic, but I basically went along the list left to right. Couldn't stomach buying 400 cars, though!

Just need to mop up the remaining ones that look doable and try to win the Eliminator as that still eludes me. Been this close once...

i agree it can be annoying how some of the dlc is advertised in game. if you're worried it's been watered down to sell dlc that should be in the base game i wouldn't worry about that, there's a ridiculous amount of cars/content/races etc in the base game.

4 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Does anyone play this with a wheel, rather than a pad? Planning to give it another go, having barely played it since launch, and I'm wondering if a wheel enhances the experience or if it's a pain to use.

works great with a wheel

4 hours ago, Fletch said:

Every time I load this up I look at the overwhelming amount of content and just nope out and play something else. I appreciate this may be an issue with how my brain works rather than the game though. 

I think that might be why I bounced off it almost immediately it was launched. It's funny, I've absolutely loved the previous four, but barely touched this.

Anyone got suggestions for how to approach working through the content?

29 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

I think that might be why I bounced off it almost immediately it was launched. It's funny, I've absolutely loved the previous four, but barely touched this.

Anyone got suggestions for how to approach working through the content?

Doing the weekly playlists is a good place to start. You get several races and PR stunts to do as well as some extra stuff like Arcade or Playground Games. Plus you get free cars or wheelspins out of it so there's some focus to picking those particular ones.