Mario and Rabbids: Sparks of Hope - Out 2022

mdn2

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Some of the exploration bits reminded me of Banjo Kazooie era Rare, including the music, only with the whole Mario cast.

Looks really good, probably my most anticipated game this year along with Xenoblade. 

They have a pretty epic composer team for this.

https://www.destructoid.com/mario-rabbids-sparks-of-hope-composers-revealed-kirkhope-coker-shimomura/

• 3 months later...

Played the intro and a few of the opening tutorial levels to get a feel for it.

Looks lovely. Plays well.

And then I bought an OLED Switch to pick up after work. 🤦‍♂️ At least that will delay the temptation a bit for the rest of the day

Oh my. What an absolute delight.

I will admit I was slightly worried about how the real time movement elements would fit into a turn based strategy game. But it's a complete breath of fresh air.

Being able to run around freely and back and forth within your character's movement area is so utterly freeing and the amount you can do in a single turn is amazing.

Start by running Mario max distance one way, dashing to take out a line of three Goomba. Run him back full distance the other way.

Switch to Peach and run to Mario, popping her healing spark to regain health on both before performing a team jump to get some extra movement distance, landing next to a bomb-omb. Dash the bomb-omb to knock it down and pick it up to lob it at another three waiting goombas. Fire off her rockets to take out a rabid enemy behind a box and finish her turn.

Back on Mario, move him again as far as you want within his range and position between two enemies. You're completely exposed but have unobstructed shots. Activate his spark to give your weapon shots burn effects and pop one shot at each with his dual blasters. The weapon damage alone isn't enough but the burns have them running off howling around the map for extra damage, enough to make them drop.

One turn. Mayhem and joy.

Of course this is early so enemies have pretty low health but the number of actions you have and options available are wonderful. Most importantly the free movement means you can move to a spot, switch to attack and see what shots are available. Don't like them, no problem. Back out and move again. The character cannot move once they've shot but other than that it's basically free roam.

The overworld is also much less linear than the original. More of a little world to explore rather than interconnected mini areas, paths and battlefields. Moving the battlefields outside of the overworld makes both much more interesting.

Not sure if it's just because I'm a bit poorly, but this hasn't clicked immediately with me (only about an hour in)

The freemove and change to Action Points just doesn't feel quite right. Similarly although it's against some familiar enemies, fight in Sunny Beach World doesn't feeel the same as in the Mushroom Kingdom in the early stages of the original.

It actually feels a bit like Sunshine. All the trappings of a Mario game but the setting and gameplay feels disconnected from expectations. And not in a good way.

I must have missed where it was announced that this was single player only, just naturally assumed it was keeping the same great co-op option from the last game which me and the wife played through fully - so have been looking forward to going through this in co-op as well since it was announced ages ago, so bought it last night only to find that it was single player only 😢

And that's world 1 done 100%

It's still fine and compotent. Good even - possibly very good. But it feels substandard to the first - it hasn't quite captured that lightening in a bottle feel. The fighting in "other dimension zones" breaks the world up (and everything is a loading screen, every menu) and still massively miss the Mario trappings.

Lack of weapon choice (although characters are now more distinctive from each other) hurts it. Sparks don't make up for the lack of customisation there. 

You good tell me this is the first game and the other is the sequel and I'd believe you. It might be Rose tinted glasses, but everything worked just a bit better there (although this is by no means bad or mediocre)

Feels a lot easier too. Other than when the game makes you I've not broken from Mario/Luigi/Rabbid Peach. M&L's overwatch abilities wreck the joint. (Are coins as pointless as they seem?)

7 hours played. Done about 90% of the first planet and 50% of the second. Story progress 27%.

Still loving the movement stuff. With double sparks unlocked there are lots of interesting combos and things that make you feel super powerful, particularly if you go back to earlier planets. Some of the roaming enemy encounters are just lovely little puzzles. I like to find how to clear it in one turn.

• 4 weeks later...

I can’t stop playing this, it’s really, really good. Ubisoft have no right to be making a game this fun. Even the rabbids, which I never really ‘got’ (they just seemed silly little identical, generic annoyances like minions to me) are funny. The game looks superb, it’s got so much content and difficulty (for me, anyway) on normal mode seems pretty perfectly pitched. It’s quite well written, too.

I had the first one but can’t remember a great deal about it, I’ll have to revisit it once I’m done with this one.

I’ve only found one bug so far and that is how the game, in over 20 hours play, has only asked me to connect to Ubisoft plus ONCE. Just once. Yves Guillemot must be very upset that sneaked in.

I’m onto the 4th planet now and really enjoying this. It’s perhaps not as amazing as the first was when it came out, and the free movement, whilst better than the grid system has some challenges (I’ve sliding tackled enemies only to end up stuck behind them more than a few times!)

The main world is… ok. I think it looks pretty, and having different themes is good, but the map is a bit crap and the camera can do with being slightly further away on my opinion. Sometimes it feels a little too claustrophobic and sometimes I’m struggling to know where I’ve been and not been!

The levels however are excellent as are the character and spark differences. I’m not missing the variety of weapons either, for me it was always about buying the most powerful one with the preferred effect anyway so no loss really. The jump pads add some more strategy, the dark mess eyes are interesting too in terms of another level type, really happy I jumped in at launch despite the inevitable Ubisoft price reductions presumably incoming.

• 5 weeks later...

This is great and an absolute pleasure to play. I like the new style of movement, at first I was a bit like - woah, messing with turn based nature, but in practice it’s just really easy to understand and play without getting too caught up in stats and movement. At least to begin with anyway. It’s on the easy side but that’s to be expected, and I’m only on the middle setting, might move it up to the harder one. 

So far though it seems like a more than worthy sequel. The overworld is much easier to traverse and no longer feels like a map screen, and it’s visually very striking. 

Definitely a highlight of the year for me and another cracking turn based game, long may they continue. 

I’ve done the first world now, well everything I can find with my current abilities anyway. There are loads of hidden bits and it’s pretty compelling just doing everything IMO. 

World 2 is great for Christmas, and I love the little snow foxes :wub:

It really takes me back to days of old when Rare made N64 games. It’s like Nintendo but not Nintendo, if you know what I mean. It’s got its own identity yet the production values and presentation are world class.

One thing that’s much better is the introduction of Sparks and getting rid of weapon upgrades from the first game. Sparks all have different abilities and can be upgraded themselves, but the guns were always just better versions of the same ones, so it was the right decision to get rid of that and offer something new with Sparks. 

Has any new content come out for this yet? It frustrates me how Ubisoft release different versions of the game and season passes etc. when in actual fact what you get out of the box seems incredibly polished and complete anyway. I have the ‘cosmic edition’ but I’ve not bothered to redeem the code for free items or whatever it is, there’s just no need. 

I can’t believe this thread isn’t bigger. It really is one of the finest games to come out this year IMO, and even if you normally don’t like TB games, this one might just change your mind. It’s so easy to get into but there is quite a bit of depth the more you progress. 

Ok, so I really enjoyed this, except the map which is utterly useless due to the undulations of it and it of course being 2D, and then the compass disappearing once you’ve done the quests meaning you end up roaming around directionless eventually, still, at just shy of 58 hours, this happened:

C83866EA-1C9D-4CB6-8C47-EB3E07F5C189.jpeg