Edge #360

Mr Do 71

646ECB72-55A3-4717-B700-E43EEDE326B6.thumb.jpeg.5b791f288ef71c986cf4174fccc201df.jpeg

Hype has a look at, Kena: Bridge of Spirits, OlliOlli World, Song in the Smoke, Icarus, Instruments of Destruction, Sherlock Holmes: Chapter One, Beast Breaker, and Loot River.

Hype Roundup has a quick shifty at, Horizon Forbidden West, Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake, Sonic Origins, Overwatch 2, and Far Cry 6

Features includes Superbrothers’ Jett: The Far Shore, Ten years of Swords and Sworcery, and Year of the Dragon - Chinese Developers making waves throughout the industry.

Reciews:

Ratchet & Crank: Rift Apart - 7

Biomutant - 6

Hood: Outlaws & Legends - 5

Subnautica: Below Zero - 8

Chicory: A Colorful Tale - 9

World’s End Club - 5

The Magnificent Trufflepigs - 6

Overboard! - 7

Operation: Tango - 7

An Airport for Aliens Currently Run by Dogs - 6

Stuido Profile visits Rusty Lake.

The Making of Mundaun.

Time Extend looks back on The Legend of Zelda: Spirits Tracks

The Long Game is still playing Mass Effect Legendary Edition

Genuinely thought someone had remade *that* Overboard game without me knowing. :blush: 

Also, amazing page 7 content. Did an advertising agreement expire at the last minute or something?

It's more of the same but incredibly pretty, a 7 shouldn't really surprise anyone. It's fun as always but it still has loads of random invisible walls when you're exploring.

Biggest takeaway for me is that a game exists that is called An Airport for Aliens Currently Arun by Dogs  :lol:

R&C 7/10 LOL, but who cares? 

The high score for Chicory: A Colorful Tale, has me interested in the game which I’d of never of known about otherwise, so that’s a positive to remember, that these kind of smaller games will get a bit of exposure. 

I don't think the 7 is unfair on what I've seen - sure Ratchet is one of the best looking games around but I'm not seeing much beyond that, its quite charmless and is the gaming equivalent of a big comic book movie, crowd pleasing sure but not really up for the main Oscars at awards season. 

26 minutes ago, IainGamer said:

A 7 for ratchet and crank is utter nonsense.  Where are they getting that score from?  

The fact that it's pretty much the exact same game as the last six but with beautiful graphics? It hasn't evolved at all. And it was never really a 9 or 10 kind of franchise to begin with. 

I've already seen glowing takes on Chicory online, so this cements my interest in that; and a much higher score for Biomutant than I'd expected — I may actually give that a try.

(I've yet to play Overboard! — currently waiting for my iPad-owning housemate to buy it — but it shot up to the top of my excitement list the moment it released. A reverse-crime-procedural from the people who made 80 Days and Heaven's Vault? Yes please!)

Ratchet & Clank has easily and always been a 9/10 or 5 stars or whatever, type series for me. They’re technically showcases married to honed platforming and run & gunning sheer fun. Like a 16-bit action platformer made 3D. 

For me they’ve also been system seller as I bought a PS3 to play Tools of Destruction and loved it. 
(Crack in Time is also one of the best in the series) 

3 hours ago, IainGamer said:

A 7 for ratchet and crank is utter nonsense.  Where are they getting that score from?  

Are we really still having these arguments after all these years?

4 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Ratchet & Clank has easily and always been a 9/10 or 5 stars or whatever, type series for me. They’re technically showcases married to honed platforming and run & gunning sheer fun. Like a 16-bit action platformer made 3D. 

For me they’ve also been system seller as I bought a PS3 to play Tools of Destruction and loved it. 
(Crack in Time is also one of the best in the series) 

Honed platforming? The platforming has always been perfunctory at best. You have a rather stiff jump, double jump and glide. There's no real fluidity or skillfulness to it. It's shooter first, platformer like fourth.

4 hours ago, Majora said:

It's more of the same but incredibly pretty, a 7 shouldn't really surprise anyone. It's fun as always but it still has loads of random invisible walls when you're exploring.

Biggest takeaway for me is that a game exists that is called An Airport for Aliens Currently Arun by Dogs  :lol:

It’s by Xalavier Nelson, who also did Hypnospace Outlaw, so I’m hyped for the Switch version.

40 minutes ago, Majora said:

Honed platforming? The platforming has always been perfunctory at best. You have a rather stiff jump, double jump and glide. There's no real fluidity or skillfulness to it. It's shooter first, platformer like fourth.

Certainly not from my perspective! The platforming is an integral pillar to the whole game and blended perfectly with the run & gun action. They both support each other perfectly. 
If it was over-complexity that made something “good” I feel it would push this balance off. 

A 7 for Ratchet & Clank seems pretty fair. It's more of the same and there's nothing wrong with that.

8 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

R&C 7/10 LOL, but who cares? 

The high score for Chicory: A Colorful Tale, has me interested in the game which I’d of never of known about otherwise, so that’s a positive to remember, that these kind of smaller games will get a bit of exposure. 

Reminds me that Edge giving Ratchet & Clank 3 an 8 is what sold me on giving the series a bash at the time.

2 hours ago, Super Craig said:

A 7 for Ratchet & Clank seems pretty fair. It's more of the same and there's nothing wrong with that.

Reminds me that Edge giving Ratchet & Clank 3 an 8 is what sold me on giving the series a bash at the time.

but is it a whole 1 worse than Tools of Destruction? 

2 hours ago, Super Craig said:

Jeff Goldblum dot gif

I mean, I've always found R&C games absolutely fine. Never groundbreaking and off-the-chart amazing to play - and that's fine. Just fine.

[7]