Death's Door - Isometric action-adventure from the makers of Titan Souls - Xbox/PC/Switch/PS4 - GOTY 2021!

Jamie John

56 minutes ago, Polmon said:

Does anyone know if this is this an actual Xbox exclusive, or a timed exclusive? 

Nothing has been announced so far, but it's on Steam, which suggests Microsoft don't have exclusivity. I imagine you'll just have to wait for it to be ported elsewhere, as it's only a very small team. It's received a very positive reception, however, so I imagine a port is in the works. Titan Souls, their previous game, came out on multiple platforms.

Ah man the final boss is pissing me off 

Spoiler

avoiding the bull doors is simple enough but the second of the fights between the runs just seems random. That pink wall that goes out three ways and then curves as well feels impossible to dodge :( 

Got 100% over the weekend. It basically feels like this game was made for me, which I wasn't expecting. Everything had the right amount of challenge for me, from the fighting to how much attention you need to pay and brain-wracking you need to do to find the shrines and solve the mysteries. Pitched to perfection.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2021 at 00:09, wretcherd said:

Noclip say they are working on a making of this, among others.

Need to finish it before I watch that.

It's probably been said but Death's Door? Death's Adorable more like! Ho ho! But yeah, shits good. The soundtrack is lovely.

• Jamie John changed the title to Death's Door - Isometric action-adventure from the makers of Titan Souls - Out now on Xbox & PC - PS4/PS5 due 23/11
On 09/10/2021 at 09:13, Polmon said:

Does anyone know if this is this an actual Xbox exclusive, or a timed exclusive? 

According to tonight's PlayStation State of Play, this is coming to PS4/5 on the 23rd of November :)

11 hours ago, Jamie John said:

According to tonight's PlayStation State of Play, this is coming to PS4/5 on the 23rd of November :)

Just watched it and that was the highlight for me. I've immediately pre-ordered 🥳

Coming to switch too on the same day

Not sure which version to get, I think this will be perfect for handheld gaming

Is there a PS5 version on the store as I can only find the PS4 version

20 minutes ago, MikeF said:

Coming to switch too on the same day

Not sure which version to get, I think this will be perfect for handheld gaming

Is there a PS5 version on the store as I can only find the PS4 version

Excellent! I'll amend the thread title again.

• Jamie John changed the title to Death's Door - Isometric action-adventure from the makers of Titan Souls - Out now on Xbox & PC - PS4/PS5 & Switch due 23/11
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, shirubagan said:

Happy Death's Door Day PS and Switch owners! You're in for a treat :D 

Indeed - just came in to post the same!

The Switch port has picked up 9s from Nintendo Life, Nintendo World Report and Pocket Tactics, so far. Positive review from Switch Up, too, who mentions the performance is very good in both docked and handheld:

Good stuff!

• Jamie John changed the title to Death's Door - Isometric action-adventure from the makers of Titan Souls - Xbox/PC/Switch/PS4 - GOTY 2021!

I've got both a PS5 and a Switch, what are people's feelings on which would be better? Nice and shiny PS5 graphics or Switch portability? Is it a game where the graphics upgrade would be worth it, or is it a game where you want to play in short sessions. Quite happy to sit in front of the TV but if its not a bingeing type game I might go for the Switch. Cheers.

2 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

I've got both a PS5 and a Switch, what are people's feelings on which would be better? Nice and shiny PS5 graphics or Switch portability? Is it a game where the graphics upgrade would be worth it, or is it a game where you want to play in short sessions. Quite happy to sit in front of the TV but if its not a bingeing type game I might go for the Switch. Cheers.

Go Switch. The graphics are beautiful and simple with some nice lighting effects – I don't think you'll miss out on anything fancy if you opt for the Switch version.

Yep I'm enjoying this too, decided to go for PS5 as I have a few days off to sit in front of the TV. Loading times are basically instant and it looks really nice. I'm almost up to the second major soul and I like the fluidity of the combat and the art style. My only gripes are some occasionally awkward camera angles and overly zealous particle effects sometimes completely obscuring what's happening. Oh, and the game really suffers from the lack of a map because the environments look so samey, they need better signposting for places that you have unlocked. As for combat I really like the mechanic of having to get melee hits to gain ranged ammo, it makes for a good flow and the controls are very responsive. I also love that there's very little stalling - checkpoints right at bosses, no repeated cutscenes to skip. So its a recommend from me so far.

1 hour ago, three1ne said:

May be I'm simple but what is the physical release date on the Switch?

On Special reserve the oreorder time is until 7th Jan? Or is the release date 7th Jan?

Makes no sense to me. 

There is no official physical release date, just the overpriced SRG version. 

Bought this on PS5 on Tuesday, played about 3-4 hours. It's ok but not quite clicking yet, did the witch house bit and was then wandering around with no clue where to go. So I started going to old places and eventually found some new areas but that was a bit frustrating that it felt like I just so happened to stumble across where to go (eventually). Am I missing something? How do you know where to go next when lost?

Funnily enough I'm also stuck due to not knowing what to do next, but further on than you. You can talk to the crow at the summit for a general idea of where to head next but that just shows you the next major area. In general it's places in the cemetery you can use your special abilities that will lead you forward. I do think shirubugan has a point about a map maybe spoiling the secrets and stuff, but the signposting definitely needs to be better, especially in places like the cemetery where there are so many identical looking walkways and ladders. I've wasted so much time there wandering around trying to find the right ladder or path even when I've visited the location before.

Currently I'm stuck at a point where I'm not sure whether I'm just missing the solution to progress, or if I need to go out exploring in the world and come back. After about half an hour I've decided to go exploring and hopefully that's right. Still aside from that I'm enjoying it, the enemy variety and boss fights are fun, and the environments continue to impress in their vibrancy and atmosphere. I'm finding the difficulty mostly very well judged too, yes some encounters are requiring multiple retries but you generally feel like you are learning and getting better.

I think the graveyard can be a bit overwhelming to begin with, but you'll get to know it very well by the end of the game. And yes, if you're ever unsure of how to proceed, look for somewhere you can use one of your new abilities, Metroid style.