Death's Door - Isometric action-adventure from the makers of Titan Souls - Xbox & PC - Metacritic 87 - GOTY 2021!

Jamie John

2 hours ago, shirubagan said:

I have one seed and one pot to find. This is going to be fun. :facepalm:

There's one to be found in each of the 

Spoiler

power upgrade areas - the bow, fireball, hookshot and bomb. The one I was missing was found in one of these.

And, apparently, if you find Pothead and speak to him again he'll give you clues as to which pot/seed you're missing, but I'm not sure how useful these are.

Ok. I’m stumped. (End game spoilers)

Spoiler

I’ve done all seven ‘things’ I needed to get the tablets but when I go to the wall in the crow’s hangout it says I’m missing one.

the one to the far right. I’ve gone back to the locations and checked to see if I just failed to pick up a tablet but I didn’t. Do I need to find all shrines to see the final ending? If not I think I’ve hit a bug 

1 hour ago, elmo said:

Ok. I’m stumped. (End game spoilers)

Hide contents

I’ve done all seven ‘things’ I needed to get the tablets but when I go to the wall in the crow’s hangout it says I’m missing one.

the one to the far right. I’ve gone back to the locations and checked to see if I just failed to pick up a tablet but I didn’t. Do I need to find all shrines to see the final ending? If not I think I’ve hit a bug 

Spoiler

One of the tablets is split into three different pieces - you have to track down the owl in the Overgrown Ruins, the Witch's estate garden, and the mountainous area where you have to light all the braziers. You'll know it's there somewhere because you here it hooting whenever you're in the area. Have you found all three pieces?

Is there a light or anything in the indentation in the far right?

4 hours ago, Jamie John said:
  Hide contents

One of the tablets is split into three different pieces - you have to track down the owl in the Overgrown Ruins, the Witch's estate garden, and the mountainous area where you have to light all the braziers. You'll know it's there somewhere because you here it hooting whenever you're in the area. Have you found all three pieces?

Is there a light or anything in the indentation in the far right?

I tweeted about it in the end. Yes I did that and it appears to be a bug. Hopefully sorted with a patch this week.

I think this is well made and polished but it feels like an amalgamation of now very very familiar elements from the mechanics to the structure and aesthetics; that exemplifies my issue with a lot of contemporary indie gaming. I understand the lack of ambition and originality from AAA devs, but I find it dispiriting when the next hot indie game feels just as derivative. It is a 'good game' but that's no longer enough for me. Unless it's absolutely fucking brilliant, I need originality. 

I have beaten the second area in this now, starting to get trickier now, but unlike, say my recent experience with The Ascent, it’s a well managed difficulty curve, it never feels impossible, just tricky. 

It is very well put together, although maybe just lacking something to make it truly brilliant. It’s slick, but yeah I tend to agree with @Marlew a bit, it’s all a bit predictable I suppose. 

Fabulously put together though, I am glad it exists. I just wish it did something to surprise me. 

I think it's definitely been influenced by a lot of games, but I still don't think it's derivative, especially when you consider the negative connotations that word has. Its most obvious comparison is Zelda, but then it feels completely different from a Zelda game in the hands. The bait and switch combat is reminiscent of Souls, but it's far less punishing than Souls, in both its checkpointing and how you don't have to recover anything upon death. Hyper Light Drifter is more mysterious and arcane, but also less warm and funny. The narrative has echoes of Grim Fandango, but only on a superficial level. I think it does enough to justify its own identity. The secret hunting and puzzle elements feel especially unique to me.

On 09/08/2021 at 15:40, Jamie John said:

Its most obvious comparison is Zelda, but then it feels completely different from a Zelda game in the hands.

I'm surprised how many reviewers had it down as some Zelda-alike. Other than it being a game you play with a top-down camera and equipable bombs it bears about as much relationship to Mario as it does Zelda (the obvious Magikoopa guys). It's much more Souls inspired but as you say it treads it's own path there too. Very, very few games are completely original, but this is much more original than most.

So got to the credits in this. Really loved it. Great stuff. I think it's really shows the power of focus, compared to something like The Ascent. 

Not sure I'm going to bother with the post game stuff, but that's fine.

1 hour ago, petrolgirls said:

I'm surprised how many reviewers had it down as some Zelda-alike. Other than it being a game you play with a top-down camera and equipable bombs it bears about as much relationship to Mario as it does Zelda

It's more than just graphics. The Zelda comparisons are coming from how areas are gated off until you have the equipment needed to get into/past them. Not that this isn't oversimplifying things, of course, as Death's Door deserves to be considered more of its own thing.

7 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

It's more than just graphics. The Zelda comparisons are coming from how areas are gated off until you have the equipment needed to get into/past them. Not that this isn't oversimplifying things, of course, as Death's Door deserves to be considered more of its own thing.

That bit of it I'd say is more Metrodvania than Zelda. There's some similarities between them for sure but Metroidvania's tend to be composed of a number of interlocking levels that are opened up with new powers that can also be used in combat whereas Zelda's are generally open world with areas unlocked by keys that serve only one purpose. I think Deaths Door is closer to the former.  

I've just got myself the fourth spell, but while I'm enjoying this it's actually been a little disappointing for me so far. I've loved the look of it ever since the Devolver E3 show, and after hearing TCGS raving about it I think I had built it up in my head more than I should.

It's a really, really solid game in every respect. The world looks great, combat feels punchy and is tough without feeling unfair, and the music is obviously lovely. It's just that that's kind of it. 

The world looks great but not very distinctive. Combat is solid but rarely thrilling. The music is great but mostly forgettable. It has puzzles as well, but nothing that really makes you think. There very much do the thing to make the thing happen affairs.

It feels harsh to criticise it for not being more than it is, especially for the price, but I was hoping for more.

• 3 weeks later...

I finished this this evening with the 100% achievement, something I never usually do. 

What a game! Absolutely loved it, and will really miss playing this of an evening. Have found myself humming the music to myself during the days whilst I’m not playing and sad that it’s over. 

It’s crazy that this was made by just a couple of guys. Have they done anything prior to this?

I guess I’m about 2/3 of the way through this and …

Spoiler

Just about to go up the mountain. 

A crow at the camp gave me a ‘make sure you’re prepared comment’ — should I go back to hunt for secrets now I have all the powers?

I’ve stumbled across a couple, but not enough for a full health/magic upgrade yet. 

7 hours ago, StephenM said:

I guess I’m about 2/3 of the way through this and …

Hide contents

Just about to go up the mountain. 

A crow at the camp gave me a ‘make sure you’re prepared comment’ — should I go back to hunt for secrets now I have all the powers?

I’ve stumbled across a couple, but not enough for a full health/magic upgrade yet. 

Having a health and/or magic upgrade will definitely make the mountain boss fight slightly easier - it's a bit of a difficulty spike for most. I can't remember exactly, but have you unlocked all three of your additional powers by now? If so, you should be able to access every hidden shrine in the game, if you can find them. I'd suggest playing the mountain level up to the boss fight then doing some shrine hunting if you find it too tough. Shrine hunting is fun in and of itself anyway.

Additional spoiler hint if you want it:

Spoiler

There are also 

Spoiler

upgrades

for each of your powers you can find, but you have to fight some tough mini-bosses to get them. Have you got any of those, yet?

3 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Having a health and/or magic upgrade will definitely make the mountain boss fight slightly easier - it's a bit of a difficulty spike for most. I can't remember exactly, but have you unlocked all three of your additional powers by now? If so, you should be able to access every hidden shrine in the game, if you can find them. I'd suggest playing the mountain level up to the boss fight then doing some shrine hunting if you find it too tough. Shrine hunting is fun in and of itself anyway.

Additional spoiler hint if you want it:

Hide contents

There are also 

Reveal hidden contents

upgrades

for each of your powers you can find, but you have to fight some tough mini-bosses to get them. Have you got any of those, yet?

Yeah I have all three powers so will bounce around to see if I can find some shrines/the other cool thing you mentioned!

Loving it but not particularly great at it, so should probably go get all the extra help I can!

Having a shrine nightmare. 

Spoiler

The magic shrine in the Overgrown Ruins won't activate. I get to it and it isn't glowing, it's just totally dead and I can't pray at it. I've rebooted the game and nothing, even reinstalled it and still zilch. Googling it just gives me location guides. Am I missing something?

As predicted I have made it past the first couple of dungeons, and then hit a difficulty wall I can’t dent. I was loving this but I’ve gone a couple of weeks without playing now so trying to go back is proving painful. Gutted, was really enjoying it. 

1 hour ago, hereticboy said:

Having a shrine nightmare. 

Hide contents

The magic shrine in the Overgrown Ruins won't activate. I get to it and it isn't glowing, it's just totally dead and I can't pray at it. I've rebooted the game and nothing, even reinstalled it and still zilch. Googling it just gives me location guides. Am I missing something?

Silly question, but you haven't activated it already and not realised, have you? If it is a bug, contact the devs on Twitter with a screenshot - they're pretty responsive.

1 hour ago, spanx said:

As predicted I have made it past the first couple of dungeons, and then hit a difficulty wall I can’t dent. I was loving this but I’ve gone a couple of weeks without playing now so trying to go back is proving painful. Gutted, was really enjoying it. 

Where did you get to?

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/09/2021 at 07:41, Jamie John said:

I've just got to the...

Spoiler

crow camp at the foot of the mountain

and they've told me I still have 9 shrines left to find, which seems like a lot! I thought I'd found most of them. After unlocking the last power I went through all the areas and tried to do everything else I could, and now going back again I'm struggling to find the remaining shrines. I read somewhere that the lights on the doors in the hub world indicate that there is still secret stuff to find in that area, is that a good indication of where I'm missing shrines? Or are there a bunch still ahead of me?

35 minutes ago, Rockboy said:

I've just got to the...

Hide contents

crow camp at the foot of the mountain

and they've told me I still have 9 shrines left to find, which seems like a lot! I thought I'd found most of them. After unlocking the last power I went through all the areas and tried to do everything else I could, and now going back again I'm struggling to find the remaining shrines. I read somewhere that the lights on the doors in the hub world indicate that there is still secret stuff to find in that area, is that a good indication of where I'm missing shrines? Or are there a bunch still ahead of me?

There are at least a few still ahead of you, IIRC. Some of them are fiendishly hidden. I would get to the end of the mountain area, then have a go at doing one final clean-up before the last boss (which will be pretty obvious). You can use a guide at this point, if you want to, but I found it was more fun to do it without. You can always come back to mop up anything you missed after the credits, too, and there are some things you can't do until you've finished the game.

34 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

There are at least a few still ahead of you, IIRC. Some of them are fiendishly hidden. I would get to the end of the mountain area, then have a go at doing one final clean-up before the last boss (which will be pretty obvious). You can use a guide at this point, if you want to, but I found it was more fun to do it without. You can always come back to mop up anything you missed after the credits, too, and there are some things you can't do until you've finished the game.

Thanks @Jamie John I'll head up the mountain then! 😃