Death's Door - Isometric action-adventure from the makers of Titan Souls - Xbox & PC - Metacritic 87 - GOTY 2021!

Jamie John

4 minutes ago, footle said:

Thanks. I think I’ve probably had enough of it :)

Fair enough. I don't think any of the secrets are particularly obscure, really. They get the balance spot on. I figured it out, so they can't be too tough ;)

This just gets better and better as do my skills at it. 

Managed to kill Grandma on second attempt. Now at the woods and just got into the dungeon.  Also upgraded my fire spell. 

Love this game so far and about 31% done. 

I've spent a lot of time on this today,to the point I'm just about to face the boss for my third giant soul. 

Away for a week after today though so probably won't finish it till next weekend now. 

11 hours ago, Hitcher said:

That bit on the ice can burn in hell!

Are you referring to Canyon area near the Free Crow hideout? That bit's optional, just so you know. And yes, it's tough. There's another ice bit in the next area that's not optional, but is thankfully a lot easier to get through.

A tip for the optional ice bit is that once you get to the third section, you can stand right next to the pillars and actually shoot all three activation stones from there; you don't have to shoot them while skating past them at speed, which is (I think) what you're supposed to do. Getting to that third platform is tricky enough, though.

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Are you referring to Canyon area near the Free Crow hideout? That bit's optional, just so you know. And yes, it's tough.

Yeah, that's the one. Managed to get through the 2nd part only to find there's a 3rd!

Glad I can miss it out though.

Got some more time with this today and it’s really grown on me. The Furnace was really well paced and the Witch fight was brilliant. 

Very much enjoying running around the Overgrown Ruins at the moment. The “transport” to the ruins was particularly good. 

Rolled the credits last night.

A really excellent videogame. It's so confident in what it's doing and yet restrained, focused, and self-aware in how it respects your time. There really isn't an ounce of fat on it and it has a superb balance with a gradually increasing challenge.

One of my favourite things is how a no-hit run is very realistic for a skilled player (not me). Like all the best games, it always feels like your fault when you get hit - the brief invincibility you get when rolling is generous - and yet it gives you a fair challenge.

Highly recommended and not a random-roll in sight, just finely-tuned excellence.

Are you going to go for 100%, @Timmo? There's some cool stuff to find, including a few extra fights and an optional boss. I'd definitely recommend it.

I'm not thee achievements away from the 1000 gamerscore in this. Two are far doing certain things in the boss fights that I didn't do the first time around. The most difficult one, however, is for completing the game using just the 

Spoiler

Umbrella,

which sounds like it would be a war of attrition. I wouldn't fancy doing 

Spoiler

Betty or the final boss

just with that, although, I suppose if you learnt the attack patterns well enough it would mostly just be a matter of patience.

Hmm...

I 'finished' this yesterday, and am currently doing the post-game mopping up. It was an absolutely classic example of a game where I get frustrated with a battle, call it absolute bullshit, and then come back to wreck them without even getting hit. 

It's (mostly) always your own fault when something's not working. Though I've had a few bugs and there are occasions when escape rolling is made impossible due to hitboxes or something.

Great game though, I suspect I'll 100% it. I really think they could give you a bit of a break in the postgame though, like a map or a compass. I suppose it works as a farewell tour to the entire map, but there's plenty of plodding around.

24 minutes ago, schmojo said:

I really think they could give you a bit of a break in the postgame though, like a map or a compass. I suppose it works as a farewell tour to the entire map, but there's plenty of plodding around.

Without wanting to sound like I'm arbitrarily defending the game, I didn't feel I needed a map by the end - I knew all the areas so well already, and with the shortcuts, you're able to get through them pretty quickly.

I still think some sort of beacon system would have been useful, though. Something to mark areas of interest that you couldn't access the first time around but wanted to find quickly later. In the end I just made notes on my phone, but it was still tricky finding certain things later on.

This is available on Eneba again (VPN needed, I use tunnel bear which is free) 

Picked it up for £5 on xbox. Looking forward to trying it. 

2 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Without wanting to sound like I'm arbitrarily defending the game, I didn't feel I needed a map by the end - I knew all the areas so well already, and with the shortcuts, you're able to get through them pretty quickly.

I still think some sort of beacon system would have been useful, though. Something to mark areas of interest that you couldn't access the first time around but wanted to find quickly later. In the end I just made notes on my phone, but it was still tricky finding certain things later on.

The very least they could have given you is the ability to make a return door anywhere you want. You can actually do it by offing yourself when you're miles from a door, but it's inelegant.

I feel like the postgame should be like an NG+ where you're fully tooled up, and just cruising through for fun at high speed. Instead of fucking shrieking because you need a seed and they're like rocking horse shit by that point.

27 minutes ago, schmojo said:

The very least they could have given you is the ability to make a return door anywhere you want. You can actually do it by offing yourself when you're miles from a door, but it's inelegant.

I feel like the postgame should be like an NG+ where you're fully tooled up, and just cruising through for fun at high speed. Instead of fucking shrieking because you need a seed and they're like rocking horse shit by that point.

I agree with your point re. the return door, or just an option from the menu to return to the hub. A Homeward Bone equivalent.

25 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Is it mad to put all my points into damage? I’ve put a bit into the agility one but didn’t notice much. 

I prioritised damage and the one that lets you hit more quickly. I think I ended with only one stat maxed out, but I got the others up to 4/5. Unless you're prepared to grind, it's a big ask to max out all of the stats. Later on, the one which increases your ranged damage is useful.

Thanks. I’ve now put 4 into damage, 2 into agility and dexterity. 

Mushroom Dungeon was wonderful (though I didn’t seem to manage to get the weapon that’s in there), and just made it to the first Door in Flooded Fortress. 

Another quick question: Does quick resume work with this for anyone? I haven’t had it work once.

This is quite tricky. 

Im pretty early on and trying to kill some sub boss knight outside the witch mansion and he is just destroying me. Also, im finding puzzles that i have no clue what to do with, i take it we come back to these later when we get new powers or something? 

1 minute ago, Ry said:

This is quite tricky. 

Im pretty early on and trying to kill some sub boss knight outside the witch mansion and he is just destroying me. Also, im finding puzzles that i have no clue what to do with, i take it we come back to these later when we get new powers or something? 

That sub-boss will probably be your first real test. Focus on being patient - get a couple of hits in, dodge away, fire off a couple of arrows, rinse and repeat. Have you ever played any of the Souls games? The combat is quite similar, in some respects.

And if you find something that you don't know how to deal with then chances are you need to come back to it later, yes. What are you referring to, specifically?

39 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

That sub-boss will probably be your first real test. Focus on being patient - get a couple of hits in, dodge away, fire off a couple of arrows, rinse and repeat. Have you ever played any of the Souls games? The combat is quite similar, in some respects.

And if you find something that you don't know how to deal with then chances are you need to come back to it later, yes. What are you referring to, specifically?

Cheers. Yeah played a few souls games and gave up after an hour. Too frustrating. 

The puzzle I mean is the vases in the family plot/cemetery? Outside the witch mansion. 

I don’t think that boss is very good. Presumably he’s meant to be an homage to Smough, and similarly, it’s just a hit and run test of patience. If he’s giving you too much bother, I would just go into the mansion and come back later. The actual boss in the area is more “Zelda” with proper attack phases and is both more fun and less frustrating to fight. 

15 minutes ago, Ry said:

Cheers. Yeah played a few souls games and gave up after an hour. Too frustrating. 

The puzzle I mean is the vases in the family plot/cemetery? Outside the witch mansion. 

Yeah, that's an optional puzzle. You'll find something in the mansion to help you with it.

5 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Yeah, that's an optional puzzle. You'll find something in the mansion to help you with it.

I don't even know how to get into the mansion. All the doors have keys when first inside. I take. It I have to beat that knight boss then? 

5 minutes ago, Ry said:

I don't even know how to get into the mansion. All the doors have keys when first inside. I take. It I have to beat that knight boss then? 

I can't remember, to be honest. You might have to. There are two levers, one either side of the mansion door, that I think you have to pull down.

That Knight becomes a semi-regular enemy later on, so you may as well get used to fighting them. You can do it!

And done.

Enjoyed it overall but didn't like the boss fights - had to get my son to do 2 of the final ones otherwise I'd never had finished.

I normally clear all the missing bits but due to the lack of a map I won't be bothering.

24 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I can't remember, to be honest. You might have to. There are two levers, one either side of the mansion door, that I think you have to pull down.

That Knight becomes a semi-regular enemy later on, so you may as well get used to fighting them. You can do it!

It was something silly. I didn't notice the open doorway on a floor!

Progeessing now. Game is great. Even if if does annoy me like all games of this type.