Arcane (League of Legends show)

JohnC

9 hours ago, Benny said:

Having watched the whole series now I do think it is quite impressive. The tonal shifts kind of settle down after a while and it comes together pretty well overall. I think the story in the first three episodes was the most interesting part though and it followed much more likable characters. It eventually started to collapse under its own weight later on.

Reveal hidden contents

I still dislike the character of Jinx though. Depictions of mental illness are always a bit of a minefield and I'm not sure quite how successful it dealt with the themes, but if they do a second season it'll be interesting to see where they go with it.

Yeah, it never had the emotional impact 

Spoiler

It had at the end of episode 3, though I did like Silas's relationship with Jinx - I thought that he would just be manipulating her but there was a deeper affection there that was quite interesting. 

The hammer guy was the weakest character for me, he just seemed to blow in the wind depending on what the plot required.

The visuals really elevated what was a bit of a pedestrian story. I absolutely loved the style though, the characters felt so much more alive than Marvel What if - where the often felt dead eyed to me.

Spoiler

Yeah I pretty much checked out whenever scientist bro was on screen. His character was very underdeveloped and wasn't involved in the more interesting character dynamics happening elsewhere, and didn't really add anything when he finally did get involved in them.

The most impressive aspect is just the sheer tactility of everything. Lots of attention to detail in subtle things like the movement of cloth and how clothing warps with movement etc, and thing like fluid dynamics and the messiness of food. And then there's action scenes where there's a real eye for how to show kinetic energy and the impact weight of physical objects. And of course the standout element is the huge range of facial expressions realised in most characters that goes a bit beyond what you usually expect in animated characters, even from someone like Pixar.

Regardless of what I think of the writing, I really can't fault the animation talent.

I think I'm in the same boat for the story they appeared to be trying to tell you'd need to be able to believe that Jinx could be saved and it never felt that way to me. The inevitability of the war they are heading towards stifles the potential for the story too. There *has* to be conflict and there *has* to be evil because it's a video game story and it wont work without that stuff.

14 hours ago, NoVisAnima said:

I think I'm in the same boat for the story they appeared to be trying to tell you'd need to be able to believe that Jinx could be saved and it never felt that way to me. The inevitability of the war they are heading towards stifles the potential for the story too. There *has* to be conflict and there *has* to be evil because it's a video game story and it wont work without that stuff.

That has to be the weirdest criticism yet as thematically the entire show hinges on the fluid nature of what good or evil is. Also, I'm not sure I accept the more general points that in some way the show is fluffing structural stuff it should be nailing. This did a better job of articulating a basic story than anything else I've seen recently. I watched the latest Bond and that was amateur hour compared to this. 

Arcane takes an IP with a deranged mix of art styles and lore, a toxic playerbase and the building blocks of a simple tale and elevates them all. It does it because confidence seeps through each frame. The animators know they're good. The fight on the bridge in Ep 6ish is literally a group of talented people sticking two fingers up at the audience. I can't remember the last bit of entertainment I've watched where a sequence like this made me watch it with such a mix of jealousy and awe. 

It has strong, fully formed female leads, conflicted heroes and "villains" who absolutely are in the "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" category. It leans on clichés at times and the chore of integrating characters who would've been best left out (the professor, for example) but again I think someone mentioned Marvel's What If as a comparison and that really does exemplify what's been achieved here. And it's only the first season. 

What I'm saying is that I can see the fluid greys but they don't work for me with Jinx after the time jump. Her internal conflict isn't driven by external forces pulling her in different directions. It's all driven by being mentally unstable which doesn't come across as being intentionally fostered during the time jump. It reads as both sides wishes she wasn't doing what she's doing.

I'm not denying it's a beautiful series and the episode 6 fight was beautiful. But the reason behind the fight is because Jinx is mentally compromised and will just fight and that nugget spoils everything for me.

• 1 month later...

I've never played LoL, but watched this as I'd heard it was good.  Really enjoyed it. Loved the world building.  I'm sure in part it's due to the thread that runs back all the way through LoLs Dota / Warcraft roots.  It's that kitchen sink, anything goes steam punk fantasy thing.

The animation is brilliant. Most thrilled my eyeballs have been since Spiderverse.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got to episode 3 of this, as I ignored it before because, league of legends, and it didn't look interesting to me from the little clip. 

But fuck, this is awesome! This thread needs more love! 

I finished it last week and thought it was amazing. Loved the animation, the music, the writing, characters and the emotion weight it brings to the table.

Episode 3 and the fight on the bridge are real highlights of the show.

I know it was already touched upon in this thread but I really liked how Silcos

Spoiler

relationship with Jynx wasn't purely about manipulation and keeping an enemy close, he really did care for her. Brought his character some real neouncenuance 

Really looking forward to season 2.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just finished watching this. I agree with the slight criticism of Jinx’s character development but in every other way: plot, acting, sound, characterisation, ethical exploration and of course animation- this is just stunning.

Easily the most beautiful thing I’ve seen since Spiderverse. I can’t imagine most of the forum wouldn’t enjoy it.

Forget the game- just watch this.