IGNORED

Metal Slug Tactics

Hitcher

In 2005, I wondered what Metal Slug re-imagined in the style of Symphony of the Night would be like.

Now we have a tactics game, which looks incredible. Hopefully it succeeds and someone considers a Metroidvania title.

17 minutes ago, Sketch said:

In 2005, I wondered what Metal Slug re-imagined in the style of Symphony of the Night would be like.

Now we have a tactics game, which looks incredible. Hopefully it succeeds and someone considers a Metroidvania title.

Never owned a NeoGeo Pocket? ;)

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

Blaster Master Zero says hello.

11 hours ago, Wiper said:

I really want to be excited for this, but I can't in good conscience put any money SNK's way under its current ownership* 😕 Brilliant idea for a game, looks gorgeous, a genre I love, but I'll have to say no to it.

*i.e. they're now majority-owned by Mohammed bin Salman; the journalist-dismemberer himself, aka. crown prince of Saudi Arabia.

Oh fuck sticks. :( This looks absolutely wonderful too. Thanks for bringing this up, I had no idea.

11 hours ago, Wiper said:

I really want to be excited for this, but I can't in good conscience put any money SNK's way under its current ownership* 😕 Brilliant idea for a game, looks gorgeous, a genre I love, but I'll have to say no to it.

*i.e. they're now majority-owned by Mohammed bin Salman; the journalist-dismemberer himself, aka. crown prince of Saudi Arabia.

8 minutes ago, gizmo1990 said:

Oh fuck sticks. :( This looks absolutely wonderful too. Thanks for bringing this up, I had no idea.

Same, that’s really really depressing as I love a lot of SNK series and characters but I can’t give them money knowing that :( 

13 hours ago, Wiper said:

That's rank.

And it would also explain why they stopped releasing those arcade archives games last year.

14 hours ago, Wiper said:

Wow, I didn't know that. That really sucks. No Metal Slug for me then 😪

18 hours ago, Wiper said:

Damn, this post broke my heart, I love SNK. I had no idea about this. What strange bedfellows they are. I guess I will be saying no to anymore Metal Slug in my life :(

I'm actually glad KOFs best days are behind it now though and that MBS didn't insist on 15 being a return to lush sprite based animation, the fool!

9 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Never owned a NeoGeo Pocket? ;)

I loved the pocket versions! If you fail a mission you get sent to a prison escape mission.  The NGPC games convince me that a Metroidvania spin-off would be perfection.

Tactics is good too though. The series needed an injection of something fresh, other than the 3D forays.

On 11/06/2021 at 00:47, Wiper said:

I really want to be excited for this, but I can't in good conscience put any money SNK's way under its current ownership* i.e. they're now majority-owned by Mohammed bin Salman; the journalist-dismemberer himself, aka. crown prince of Saudi Arabia.

21 hours ago, gizmo1990 said:

20 hours ago, Broker said:

Same, that’s really really depressing as I love a lot of SNK series and characters but I can’t give them money knowing that :( 

20 hours ago, Treble said:

Here's my plan: 1) Pirate a copy of Metal Slug Tactics

My conscience will be clear, doing that :)

19 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

That's rank.

17 hours ago, ox1973 said:

Wow, I didn't know that. That really sucks. No Metal Slug for me then 😪

15 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

Ah I didn’t realise that either. Rotten. 

13 hours ago, crisy said:

Damn, this post broke my heart, I love SNK. I had no idea about this. What strange bedfellows they are. I guess I will be saying no to anymore Metal Slug in my life :(

I worry this might get me blocked by all 8 people here, due to being insensitive, but do things like this really bother a lot of people? Do you look at the history behind a creative work before you can enjoy it?

Doug TenNapel is LGBT-phobic, but I'm not going to deny myself enjoying the Earthworm Jim games because of one person on the team.

Likewise all the films tainted by Harvey Weinstein. The guy is a monster, but those films of themselves were great, so should you remove something pleasurable from your own life? Your missing out isn't going to stop the monsters.

What about Hugo Boss, they designed Nazi uniforms?

Unless the Crown Prince is sitting in the SNK office, demanding propaganda be inserted into the game, does boycotting it achieve anything?

I think it’s the difference between something where the money is historical and someone already got paid and you handing them more money right now for me. I’m guessing Earthworm Jim isn’t making anyone much money anymore, and Hugo Boss is dead etc. But here you’d be directly supporting the diversification of the Saudi governments financial affairs which is quite direct support with your money. 

I don't support the Saudi regime. For me, my priority is bringing a bit more joy to my own life by playing a game I like. I suppose I could pirate it to deny them the money. But then you're also denying the team who worked on the game, who had no choice in who owns them. Or who bought shares, off people who bought shares, and then sold shares to the Saudi group. I had a look online and this is the difficulty with shares being traded around. It looks like they bought it from someone else.

I once dated a woman who refused to use Virgin Fibre Optic broadband and also BT, because she saw Virgin and BT had advertised in the Daily Mail, which is a racist and awful paper, and thus getting the fastest broadband in the UK would be contributing to the DM's racist agenda. So she went with some crap slower less-reliable smaller internet provider who claimed to promote equality etc. This was nonsense. BT owns all the copper cable lines in the UK, so every third-party net provider has to license the use from them anyway. And why deny yourself the best internet connection, just because a fraction of your fee goes to their ads department, and a fraction of that goes to the DM? You could instead use that connection to do good in the world.

As someone else said, they have their fingers in numerous pies. Lots of bad people do. If you live in London chances are you're renting a flat ultimately owned by one of several inhumane regimes around the world. Everything we buy is seemingly manufactured in China, a country that oppresses religious groups and annexed Tibet. The Crown Prince will be getting your money anyway, in ways you probably don't even realise.

We live in a world of evil. Our small individual sacrifices change nothing. We as individuals mean nothing in this maelstrom of chaos. Seek your own personal pleasure where you can while you can.

This is my personal creed: sardonic misanthrope espousing unfettered hedonism to stave existential nihilism