IGNORED

How invested in the industry are you?

Gabe

What level of investment do you have in the industry?  

166 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Prompted by @Nate Dogg III's new venture, it struck me that I am probably a bit of an outlier compared to many on the forum when it comes to what content they consume outside of just playing games, because I'm a simple man who likes to play games and that's about it; I don't read or buy any magazines (I used to buy Retro Gamer purely for the nostalgia aspect, but it got to the point that I had about 2 years' worth of unopened magazines so I sensibly decided to cancel that sub); I don't watch any gaming video shows or streamers, nor listen to podcasts or read websites.

Outside of this forum and occasionally Reset Era, I have no wider exposure to all the stuff around the edges, which is of no real interest to me - I just like playing games.

I guess I wonder how out of step with others that may make me and also I suppose how much of an impact does gaming have on you outside of time spent playing them (and I appreciate there will be a fair few who spend more time reading about them than actually doing that, too) - so go ahead and fill out the poll, just to satisfy my curiosity. :) 

I play, I read, and I have some t-shirts with Mario on them.

I also have a stack of books on game development and various subtopics within, mainly AI, because my largest investment is in the creative side. Not that I've created much recently, but it's a nice hobby to have.

I read here and Resetera and if I'm not working I'll watch the E3 conference. But that's about as far as I'll go. I don't think I've ever listened to a podcast or a stream of a game. I don't even play online. 

40+ gaming: I like it simple. 

I love to read around and talk about games: magazines, websites, social media, fora (obviously), watching videos. I also occasionally write a bit about them for my blog (or, historically, for small sites), and make the occasional video.

Other than that, I like playing around with development tools; drafting, prototyping (and inevitably giving up on, once the prototype is working) little games in e.g. Unity, GameMaker Studio, pico8, Ink, renPy... I enjoy them as problem-solving exercises, and as ways to get into/practice scripting in different languages. I anticipate having a nice time with the Playdate when it comes out for this very reason; it'll be a good way to get into Lua!

All that said, I have little more than contempt for the 'industry', which I consider to be a largely toxic, mercilessly capitalistic endeavour. Games and game developers I am fascinated by and have great respect for, but the industry around them I primarily inform myself about in the attempt to be reasonably ethical in where I point my wallet.

I couldn't give the slightest fuck about what's going on in the industry. I play games almost every day, but my only other actions are watching the odd trailer and talking about the games themselves.

With regards to the poll options - pretty much all of the above, but to varying extents. I regularly buy one magazine (Edge), listen to one or two of our community’s podcasts, read a small handful of websites and… “collect” isn’t really the best word, but I do own some merch (soundtrack CDs, etc.)

I do find it tricky to keep up with all of the new releases in terms of actually playing things, because we’re dealing with £60-70 price tags for games that eat up tens of hours. When it comes to picking up new titles, it’s hard to stay invested… at least in comparison to something like music (another of my main interests) where you can quickly get through a load of new Spotify releases and sign up to newsletters and Twitter feeds from bands, artists and labels.

Also, I’m not the sort to buy every games system at once - I’ll pick one “main” console per generation and maybe look at the others when they’re going cheap. So a lot of the information I get from [the sources mentioned in the poll] is wasted on me.

E: I think that if you do contribute to a gaming website or podcast you’ll be ticking more of the poll options, because it’s good to research and find things to talk about. So those two poll options probably count for a lot.

Like to keep informed about what is happening in gaming. Not fussed about the insider things of the industry (politics etc) just what new games are coming our way, the new techniques, technologies and tools that drive the experiences.

Love to hear lowdowns from the developers - for example found reading an Edge interview about how Evolution Studios had lavished so much time and detail onto things like clouds and road surfaces in DriveClub. Stuff like that. Reading about new trends etc.

For me it's all about art and technology in gaming and how they meld together to create amazing experiences. Whether that driven by the hardware itself or the games etc. Experiences that no other medium can provide.

The older i get, the less i give a shit. And this industry is a fucking mess anyway. 

I get most my gaming news from resetera  (as those nerds are very quick posting info) and read and watch reviews for any game i like the look of. Apart from that, nothing apart from playing games.

I play games and read and post about them here. That’s it for me.

I like to keep it away from any other aspect of my life, so no daft toys or clothes, or any of that nonsense. It’s just another hobby to me, like mountain biking or drinking.

10 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

Feels odd that reading/contributing or watching/streaming are consider the same level "engagement". I'd consider producing something to be 'more involved'.

It of course is, but the poll options are more to get a flavour of what stuff other than playing people are in to, rather than trying to put some metric upon each item - so purely for ease I combined them. 

The fact I generally get all my gaming news via rllmuk probably says more about how engaged I am with the industry: enough to be interested but not enough to go out there and keep my eye on the major gaming sites. 

Like many others here I play games, not as much as I used to but it's still a hobby. I will read books or articles about retro gaming, but I have very little interest in the modern corporate goings-on, especially if it relates to the business side as it just feels about as interesting at the business section in a newspaper (profit warnings, sales figures etc). It can be interesting to read about the creative side occasionally though, but nowhere near as closely as I probably would have 20 years ago. 

I play games pretty much every day. I listen to about three or four gaming podcasts each week, some of which I pay money for through Patreon. I subscribe to Edge and read Eurogamer. My Twitter feed is pretty much solely gaming-related. I post on here most days and have recently started reviewing the games I complete. I've never really got into streaming, though - if I'm in a position with free time to sit down and watch something, then I'm more likely to use that time to play games.

I wouldn't say that I'm that into the 'industry' of videogames, however - although I read/hear gaming news about industry-related matters, it's the games themselves which interest me. I listen to Games Industry.biz's podcast from time to time, but I prefer hearing about people's experiences with games more.

It's definitely my biggest hobby (or pastime), however - I play games a lot more than I watch films or TV, properly listen to music, read (to my shame), or do more or less anything else.

Games, games, games!

It's my main hobby. Weaned off of magazines because Internet, yet still not really getting the hang of watching streamers (unless they actually have a good story to tell). Apart from that my current employment is part of the industry as well.

So yeah, investment is rather high. Up until my neck, I'd say.

I'm not as up on all the new fangled ways to consume games and games media, ie twitch and youtube ect. But I think I actually read about games far more than I play them. I mainly read about them here and in Edge I suppose, but still I spend a lot more time reading about them than I do playing them. Part of the reason for that is perhaps that I'm fairly poor and games are fairly expensive these days. But also I do still get genuinely so excited reading about games, even ones I may never go on to play. I believe in games as a medium full of endless and exciting potential and thus enjoy keeping an eye on this industry (even when certain trends in it leave me cold) more than I do any other industry I think. It brings out a childlike joy in me.

I play games pretty much every day. I listen to podcasts quite a lot while I’m walking places or cleaning, though less lately because I’m not enjoying the Easy Allies one anymore and haven’t found a new one I’m fond of. I watch YouTube videos about games most days, and though I don’t think of myself as someone who watches much Twitch (probably a few hours a week), I see that it’s probably a lot more than some people, even if it is way less than my kids and some of my friends. I watch all of e3 every year, and read articles on gaming websites most days. I don’t collect much gaming stuff anymore, but I still buy some occasionally. Haven’t bought a magazine in a year or so.

I play around an hour everyday, listen to podcasts on my walks and visit Eurogamer, Nintendo Life and this place frequently. I get very excited about E3, console launches and new releases in general. I write some stuff occasionally. I really, really bloody love videogames. 

But I have very little interest in the all the financials, the actual nuts and bolts of development or anything at all to do with hardware (I've been trying to build up the motivation to build a PC for about ten years but every time I start I get bored with the research almost immediately). 

Basically I'm big into all the flashy stuff at the front. Not interested in any of the proper business at the back. 

30 minutes ago, Marlew said:

Over the last several months, I've found that the less engaged I am with the industry, the bullshit and the wretched fucking discourse, the more I enjoy games. 

Welcome back, man. :)

I love games and spend loads of time playing them but outside the forum and buying Nintendo tat the only other engagement I have is occasionally looking up a game guide/ video and watching the odd E3 conference.  I used to read game mags a lot and regularly check a few game news sites but that was a good few years ago now.  Couldn't give a flying fuck for eSports, twitch, streamers or any of that stuff and have never been into podcasts for games or other stuff.

I'm not particularly interested in the industry any longer. I used to read several magazines a month but I got a bit tired of them in the end and rarely found articles I enjoyed as much as long form reads like Scroll.

I'm at the age where I feel that the industry is turning in a direction that leaves me cold. That's fine. I find that I don't really care much about games I read about on sites like Eurogamer. I watch videos about old hardware (mods and scalers) and I catch up with Consolevania occasionally. I've given up on gaming podcasts.

Ironically enough I'm playing longer and more often now than I have in years. I suppose that's what matters.

I play everyday and it's usually a back and forth between modern and retro stuff which is a big change for me as a few years ago it was all about the latest and greatest. The realization that a lot of games I like aren't made anymore had me going back to the 32 and 16 bit eras and that mix of old and new is really enjoyable.

I spend too much time on Rllmuk but this is the forum I spend 90% of my time on. I collect lots of gaming stuff mostly Sega and have an embarrassing amount of t-shirts :) . I don't watch people play games on youtube, twitch and I don't listen to gaming podcasts. All that stuff bores me to tears - I want to play games not watch them. Most of the 'personalities' make me want to claw my eyes out. There's about 3 I can stand which are Gamesack, My Life in Gaming and DF Retro as they are older guys with well produced and interesting content and it's not faux outrage or non stop meme humour for clicks.

Play games every day without fail and have since the Arcades and ZX Spectrum days, but don't read or take part in any of the things listed in the OP. This forum is my only contact with the games world. Started listening to a retro podcast by some of the members here, but got distracted and never went back to it. It was mainly the 80s nostalgia that interested me.

Stopped reading Edge ages ago and only bother with their scores when there's a thread on here. The whole gamergate thing passed me by completely (still don't know what it's about) and anything to do with politics, working conditions or the industry isn't interesting to me.

Loathe all of the gaming channels I've ever seen especially tossers like Jim Sterling and Angry Joe.

I hate Digital Foundry, PCs, Amibos and any toys/figures, twee Nintendo shit.

Used to like Biffo and Rev Stu and miss their work especially Stu.

I read here and I follow news websites, but I've spent less on gaming in the past couple of years than ever before.  In a way I think gaming  has shifted to triple A epics with DLC and season passes, subscriptions to PSN for multiplayer and I just can't be arsed with a lot of it.  I was looking at my collectiton the other day and seeing how many Resident Evil games I have bought over the years all full price at launch and yet something's stopped me from buying Village until I see it for £20.  

My gaming life seems to be about reading stuff online, contributing to this forum, following the hype, then actually playing Gradius 5.