Joypad adapters

Hi,

I pretty much only play games on emulators on my pc under the telly. Only problem is Xbox 360 and PS4 controllers are not great for old games. I've got controllers for all my old consoles in the attic.

Does anyone know of a good usb adapter solution? Or just buy individual adapters for each controller?

I've seen this:

https://bliss-box.net/

But the site is so awful I don't know what you actually get if you buy it.

I see what you mean about that Blissbox site. I think bplus probably has the best idea, between 8bitdo and retrobit it would probably be cheaper to buy modern recreations of the controllers instead of buying USB adaptors for each. 

Which pads are you particularly keen to get working?

12 hours ago, chipsgravy said:

I see what you mean about that Blissbox site. I think bplus probably has the best idea, between 8bitdo and retrobit it would probably be cheaper to buy modern recreations of the controllers instead of buying USB adaptors for each. 

Which pads are you particularly keen to get working?

Nes, megadrive, snes and and N64. Though snes covers nes. I just like the dinky NES pads for some reason!

Go for an Xbox One Elite controller (first edition). The button, stick and D-pad swap outs are a god send for all sorts of retro gaming. Probably a bit more expensive than your usual pad but made to last.

It depends on why you want to use your original controllers. Raphnet do a variety of controller adaptors that will handle different controllers to USB if you just love the idea of using your original hardware, or if its just the Nostalgia/Memory muscle of the form factor then 8bitdo SNES/NES and Retrobit Megadrive would be the cheaper option. 

Alternatively on my Pi setup I use the PS4 Hori mini controller which I find to be excellent for all retro consoles and can be picked up quite cheaply. Even B&M Bargains were selling them at one point. 

15 hours ago, bplus said:

I've seen this:

https://bliss-box.net/

But the site is so awful I don't know what you actually get if you buy it.

It looks like what you need is the 4 Play adaptor that is currently not listed. You could get the Gamer-Pro Jr kit. But it is supplied as a DIY kit and some assembly and soldering skills are required. https://bliss-box.net/store/Gamer-Pro-jr-Kit-includes-5-cables-p102775011

The site doesn't make it easy to work out what is what though...

21 minutes ago, chipsgravy said:

It looks like what you need is the 4 Play adaptor that is currently not listed. You could get the Gamer-Pro Jr kit. But it is supplied as a DIY kit and some assembly and soldering skills are required. https://bliss-box.net/store/Gamer-Pro-jr-Kit-includes-5-cables-p102775011

The site doesn't make it easy to work out what is what though...

Thanks for this. I'd go for it, but seems they are out of stock of snes adapters. Looks like waiting until pandemic has stopped messing up electronics supplies might be wise. That site is really awful.

21 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Go for an Xbox One Elite controller (first edition). The button, stick and D-pad swap outs are a god send for all sorts of retro gaming. Probably a bit more expensive than your usual pad but made to last.

Just had a look at eBay, dunno if it's covid prices but they are pricey! :) D pad looks really strange though?

51 minutes ago, bplus said:

Just had a look at eBay, dunno if it's covid prices but they are pricey! :) D pad looks really strange though?

It has one that can be changed out, its all super magnetic and they just swap in place. Very sturdy and changes to suit your games, can be wired or wireless depending on what suits you:

8f4a9b96-5066-4032-b5f2-0e9fabcec71f.jpg

11 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

It has one that can be changed out, its all super magnetic and they just swap in place. Very sturdy and changes to suit your games, can be wired or wireless depending on what suits you:

8f4a9b96-5066-4032-b5f2-0e9fabcec71f.jpg

I see! That is nice. Probably too pricey for me to justify :(

57 minutes ago, bplus said:

I see! That is nice. Probably too pricey for me to justify :(

They jump around in price, think mine cost me £60 a few years ago. For the amount of use I've got out of it it was a bargain and I even use it on my Series X.