E3 2021 | Nintendo | June 15th - 17:00 BST

Robo_1

rllmukE3.thumb.jpg.d4d0e6c678a4bffecd99c392487f07dc.jpg

Nintendo

Tuesday June 15th - 17:00 BST

https://www.youtube.com/user/Nintendo

All the pieces are lining up for Nintendo to have a blowout E3 this year. It seems a forgone conclusion now, that a Switch Pro will be announced at some point before their presentation and on top of the buzz of that, they have a lot of classic franchises and previously announced titles which are in the perfect spot to be properly unveiled or announced.

The headline game is bound to be Breath Of The Wild 2, the sequel to the beloved Zelda game which launched alongside the Switch. We've already had a teaser but now is the time we'll see the next evolution of the series, within the BOTW mould.

There are a few other sure things for this Direct. Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl is set for release this November, so it's more than likely that we'll see more footage of the game in the Direct. Similarly, I think we'll be treated to a further look at Splatoon 3 which Nintendo has confirmed for a 2022 release. Pikmin 4? Well we know it is in or has been in development, so it wouldn't be unthinkable that we'll see something from it.

A potential headline grabber, would be the full unveil of Metroid 4, which was teased four years ago now. Either the game is proving to be the most ambitious title in the series yet or it's stuck in development hell. Another title from the MIA class of 2017 is Bayonetta 3. Game director Hideki Kamiya has said that we'll likely see more from the game this year and with new hardware on the horizon, Bayonetta is just the sort of franchise Nintendo could use to show off those sharper graphics and higher specs of their new pro model.

With all that along with an Animal Crossing update looking like safe predictions, there are a few wilder rumours floating around. The first is that we'll be seeing a new Kirby adventure this year. Developers from Hal Laboratories have said that they want 2021 to be a big year for Kirby and there has been increasing noise from fans for some / all of Kirby's DS adventures to make the leap to the Switch. Going even further off the deep end, there are murmurs that the team behind Mario Odyssey are busy working on a new style of Donkey Kong game, but that would seem a little early for a reveal, even if the rumour is true.

Nintendo have built out a fantastic catalogue of games in the e-Shop and I'd hope to see some of the spotlight shone on these smaller developers who are creating some of the best games on the Switch right now.

Truthfully, with all that in the tank, Nintendo would actually have to work quite hard to blow it this year... Fingers crossed that I'm not quoting that line next to one of the more distressed smileys new week. ;)

On the one hand, I shouldn't care about Nintendo's presentation because I haven't got a Switch. On the other hand, I haven't got a Switch because I'm waiting for the inevitable upgrade. So I'll probably tune in.

Also PERSONA 5 ON SWITCH OBVS!!!11 ;) 

I'm predicting a less exciting hardware announcement than the rumours would have us believe. A new model, but one which would be to the Switch what the Lite was to the original DS. A better screen, sleeker lines, and an extended battery life, but missing the additional horsepower that some are adamant is due.

Nintendo have been so consistent in their neglect to reveal, show or tease in any way BotW 2 or Metroid that I’ll be very, very surprised if either make an appearance this year. 

Which is a shame because, as I noted 6 months ago on this very form, they are in need of generating some hype and good will for brand Switch in the face of what has been a relatively low key year for them this past twelve months, following the unprecedented success of Animal Crossing.

It’s not that they’ve been resting on their laurels - we’ve had a number of releases during Covid (although Mario 3D Allstars was not the PR coup it could and should have been), and they’ve come up with a lot of whacky concepts too, but the Switch probably has at least another three - maybe four- years left in its lifespan and needs to regain some relevance in the face of Sony and Microsoft’s wildly successful next generation consoles. 

Maybe Nintendo are just riding out the wave caused by last November’s launches and are ready to steal the headlines again this summer. Maybe. 

14 hours ago, Robo_1 said:

A potential headline grabber, would be the full unveil of Metroid 4, which was teased four years ago now. Either the game is proving to be the most ambitious title in the series yet or it's stuck in development hell.

It switched developer in 2019 and Retro basically started from scratch. Meaning it's probably still too early for a gameplay reveal, given the pandemic and all that.

Nintendo have history of just dropping shit at, like, 2pm on a random Wednesday and going "out in November lol". It wouldn't surprise me if E3 was like "Well, ok" and then in 3 weeks go "Oh yeah, BotW 2 Jan 2022". Because Nintendo.

11 hours ago, Popo said:

Nintendo have been so consistent in their neglect to reveal, show or tease in any way BotW 2 or Metroid that I’ll be very, very surprised if either make an appearance this year. 

Which is a shame because, as I noted 6 months ago on this very form, they are in need of generating some hype and good will for brand Switch in the face of what has been a relatively low key year for them this past twelve months, following the unprecedented success of Animal Crossing.

It’s not that they’ve been resting on their laurels - we’ve had a number of releases during Covid (although Mario 3D Allstars was not the PR coup it could and should have been), and they’ve come up with a lot of whacky concepts too, but the Switch probably has at least another three - maybe four- years left in its lifespan and needs to regain some relevance in the face of Sony and Microsoft’s wildly successful next generation consoles. 

Maybe Nintendo are just riding out the wave caused by last November’s launches and are ready to steal the headlines again this summer. Maybe. 

Isn’t the Switch comfortably outselling the new consoles combined and even saw a lift in Q1 on the year? I obviously want to see some great new games (and I’m sure we’ll get them) but this diagnosis just seems completely batty to me.

Yeah, it's in its 5th year and is having its best year ever so far, which is unheard of. Granted, Covid has played a part, but in no way does the Switch hardware or software seem to be slowing down. 

The fact that they have never cut the price and can apparently raise the price for the updated model tells you everything. Imagine if the PS1 was still £300 in 1999 and still selling out. It’s an incredible success and the profit margin will have just gone up and up over that time period.

We’re going to see a lot of HD updates and ports next week though.

12 hours ago, Popo said:

Sony and Microsoft’s wildly successful next generation consoles

It was this bit that made me do a double take. By what measure are they wildly successful? In terms of being unobtainable?

Because from my perspective the only thing they seem to be wildly successful at is playing old games but a bit shinier.

I don’t have high expectations for Nintendo I’m afraid to say. A large part of their 40 minutes will be divided into these guaranteed appearances:

New Smash character 

Pokemon Diamond & Pearl remakes

Pokemon Legends Arceus 

Splatoon 3

We’re obviously due some BotW2 footage, but I don’t think the game will be coming out this year. They’ll want Skyward Sword HD to have a Christmas all to itself, for one thing.

Bayonetta 3 I think we will see, actually. My Uncle Friend Who Works For Nintendo Platinum (I legit have a friend who works for Platinum) said they’re working away on it right enough whenever I asked him recently wtf has it been canned or something, so surely it’s time to see something substantial?

I think the Treehouse event will focus on imminent games, so lots of Mario Golf and Skyward Sword shite. We won’t be getting a random new 2D Metroid announcement buried away in there this year (that was weird and amazing, mind?). Hopefully there’s one in the main E3 Direct, but I’m trying to keep my expectations in check.

It’s been four years since Mario Odyssey so I reckon we’ll definitely see whatever that team is up to, possibly that rumoured DK game, which would be nice.

I mean the big question is just how much the pandemic has affected their schedule. I can’t see BOTW 2 this year now because of that, but I can well imagine a new Mario Kart is in the wings waiting considering there hasn’t actually been a new one for seven years. 

But at the very least they owe us a new BOTW2 trailer, which of course means we won’t get one. 

I don’t think we’ll get that rumoured Twilight Princess/Wind Waker double pack either. This year Zelda is being taken care of with Skyward Sword and story DLC for Age of Calamity which I believe is due in November. 

So:

Skyward Sword

No More Heroes III

Mario Golf

Game Maker Garage

Skyward Sword 

Pokemon

(possibly) Donkey Kong

(possibly) Mario Kart 9

Shin Megami Tensei V

Skyward Sword

Those are the big ones.

This is the Nintendo E3 thread, not the place to temper your expectations. All aboard the hype train!

Mario Odyssey 2 trailer 

BOTW2 trailer

Metroid Prime 1+2 shadow drop

Metroid Prime 4 trailer

Brand new racing game

New Punch Out

Pikmin 4 release date

Splatoon 3 release date 

Some new Mario sports game, like strikers except good

2d Yoshi / Donkey Kong crossover

Ridge Racer switch exclusivity deal

N64 online service

That’ll do

25 minutes ago, Blunted said:

It was this bit that made me do a double take. By what measure are they wildly successful?

Sales no doubt. The PS5 especially is selling really well. Despite the shortages it's the fastest-selling console ever in the US and currently the UK sales leader in 2021 by quite a margin. And it actually has a few true next-gen games as well.

But yeah, the Switch is still selling like crazy so it's not like Nintendo needs to pull out all the stops. I do hope the Donkey Kong game is true though. I'd love to see that.

Their output has been paper thin recently so I hope there's a few interesting surprises to look forward to at least. The only thing keeping me turning on my Switch at the moment is still Ring Fit Adventure. 

15 hours ago, Robo_1 said:

Truthfully, with all that in the tank, Nintendo would actually have to work quite hard to blow it this year...

Narrator: They did.

4 hours ago, Hewson said:

Isn’t the Switch comfortably outselling the new consoles combined and even saw a lift in Q1 on the year? I obviously want to see some great new games (and I’m sure we’ll get them) but this diagnosis just seems completely batty to me.

Yes absolutely, I agree completely. My point is that the Switch isn’t doing anything exciting right now, and therefore isn’t generating headlines or hype in the way that the new consoles are; it’s ticking along, doing it’s thing and racking up huge sales, but it’s not leading the Zeitgeist. 

3 hours ago, Blunted said:

It was this bit that made me do a double take. By what measure are they wildly successful? In terms of being unobtainable?

Because from my perspective the only thing they seem to be wildly successful at is playing old games but a bit shinier.

Successful in terms of - demand is vastly outstripping supply 6 months after release, yes. Some people have claimed this is down to low levels of supply, but the sales figures put PS5 in a similar place sales-wise to the PS4 at the same point in its lifecycle - so yea, it’s been a huge success for Sony while generating a great deal of understandable consternation for those unable to get one).

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/447300/ps5-vs-ps4-launch-sales-comparison-through-week-11/

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/448255/ps5-vs-ps4-launch-sales-comparison-through-week-20/

screenshot2021-06-03anajmy.png

It's tongue-in-cheek (so get off your high-horses folks) - but the PS5 narrative is not quite the slam-dunk people seem to think (quite possibly due to stock, absolutely) - Switch is comfortably outselling it in both US and JP - likely EMEA as a whole as well (but I've not seen a reliable source of data to validate that). I'm not sure if Nintendo care if they are "leading the zeitgeist" or not, they currently have the #1 selling hardware globally, that's shifting huge volumes of software, could comfortably be decreased in price if they felt the need to etc - Sony and MS are both playing catch-up right now.

From the most recent US NPD:

US NPD HW - Nintendo Switch was the best-selling hardware platform in both units and dollars during the month of April, as well as 2021 year to date.

5 minutes ago, Popo said:

Successful in terms of - demand is vastly outstripping supply 6 months after release, yes. Some people have claimed this is down to low levels of supply, but the sales figures put PS5 in a similar place sales-wise to the PS4 at the same point in its lifecycle - so yea, it’s been a huge success for Sony while generating a great deal of understandable consternation for those unable to get one).

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/447300/ps5-vs-ps4-launch-sales-comparison-through-week-11/

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/448255/ps5-vs-ps4-launch-sales-comparison-through-week-20/

Fair enough, it's clearly a problem with me, I just find myself in the weird situation of being entirely unenthusiastic about either of the big boy consoles just now, the first time I can recall feeling like that about a new generation of consoles.

Hoping E3 will change that.

48 minutes ago, rgraves said:

screenshot2021-06-03anajmy.png

It's tongue-in-cheek (so get off your high-horses folks) - but the PS5 narrative is not quite the slam-dunk people seem to think (quite possibly due to stock, absolutely) - Switch is comfortably outselling it in both US and JP - likely EMEA as a whole as well (but I've not seen a reliable source of data to validate that). I'm not sure if Nintendo care if they are "leading the zeitgeist" or not, they currently have the #1 selling hardware globally, that's shifting huge volumes of software, could comfortably be decreased in price if they felt the need to etc - Sony and MS are both playing catch-up right now.

From the most recent US NPD:

That chart is really suspect - they shipped almost 5 million PS5s in the first six weeks. The WiiU got maybe a quarter as many sales in that period.

Sorry, it's JP market only - Media Create figures:

|System | This Week | Last Week | Last Year | YTD          | Last YTD | LTD              |

+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+

| NSW # |         71.148 |         99.118 | 107.593 | 2.677.904 | 2.371.276 | 20.018.278  |

| PS5 #   |       39.324 |        16.264 |               |    526.900 |                  |      782.050  |

3 hours ago, the_debaser said:

This is the Nintendo E3 thread, not the place to temper your expectations. All aboard the hype train!

Mario Odyssey 2 trailer 

BOTW2 trailer

Metroid Prime 1+2 shadow drop

Metroid Prime 4 trailer

Brand new racing game

New Punch Out

Pikmin 4 release date

Splatoon 3 release date 

Some new Mario sports game, like strikers except good

2d Yoshi / Donkey Kong crossover

Ridge Racer switch exclusivity deal

N64 online service

That’ll do

Sad state of affairs when F-Zero has stopped making appearances even on lists like this ☹️

37 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Oh, I thought you meant the WiiU graph! Yes of course the Switch will be outselling the PS5, that doesn’t surprise me.

I kind of meant both - the Wii U/PS5 chart in terms of PS5 still having a long way to go. and the supposed 'death of home consoles in JP' not really being backed up by Switch sales - it's selling at a phenominal level and I don't think it's correct to say that's just because it's a handheld - it's because it's a handheld AND a home console.

The next-gen race is about to get a lot clearer with E3 I think - MS need a great show or else I think Sony momentum from the PS4 will jsut carry them through. There is undoubtedly an opportunity for MS though, it's just a case of if they can execute well enough to take advantage of it.....