Sweet Tooth - Netflix

Posted (edited)

I just watched the first episode of Sweet Tooth and it was GREAT.

Plot follows a dad (Will Forte) who takes his son into the wilderness when a new virus threatens humanity. Based on a highly-acclaimed comic. 

Have high hopes for the rest of the series. Basically The Road, but more lighthearted and with a fantasy twist. Definitely worth checking out the first episode to see if it’s your jam. 

Edited by gospvg
added trailer

1 hour ago, jon_cybernet said:

I just watched the first episode of Sweet Tooth and it was GREAT.

Plot follows a dad (Will Forte) who takes his son into the wilderness when a new virus threatens humanity. Based on a highly-acclaimed comic. 

Have high hopes for the rest of the series. Basically The Road, but more lighthearted and with a fantasy twist. Definitely worth checking out the first episode to see if it’s your jam. 

Lets hope it ends better than the comic did (which I think might just be the worst ending I've read)

Just finished episode 1 of Sweet Tooth. 

It's pretty bloody great tbh. It looks lovely, the cinematography is rather something. 

And I'm in for the entire series. 

3 hours ago, cassidy said:

It's pretty bloody great tbh. It looks lovely, the cinematography is rather something. 

Just seen the first episode. I'm all in, it's really grabbed me. Started watching episode 2 and it seems to have kept up the quality. 

Its The Road but rated 12, and that's ok with me. 

Note that I had to search for the full name before it showed at all. 

11 hours ago, cassidy said:

I've split this out into a new thread. Was going to watch this yesterday but went with Raya on Disney instead.

It is rated 12 but do you think its ok for kids or not?

1 hour ago, gospvg said:

I've split this out into a new thread. Was going to watch this yesterday but went with Raya on Disney instead.

It is rated 12 but do you think its ok for kids or not?

I'm half way through. There are killings, the worst ones barely or partially off screen. Some of which would be pretty gory if they weren't just barely out of sight. One not-really-spoilery example that comes to mind

Spoiler

A guy gets a bear trap to the head. It's a camera angle where you see his body but his head is obscured as it happens.

Also lots of talk of hybrid kids being exterminated.

Yeah it’s quite bleak in places (although the overall tone is upbeat and fun), and occasionally horrible things are happening or implied, but there’s near zero on-screen blood or gore. 

I’ve enjoyed the first two episodes. But I might have to stop burning through it - as my wife would probably enjoy it too. 

Am I imagining it or did I hear the Superstars theme at the start of episode 1?

Two episodes in. This is quite good but has some bullshit moments.

Spoiler

The 9 year old boy getting the unconscious adult inside the house and up into bed; the woman surviving in her office on god knows what; the bird trapped in a cage in the zoo somehow still alive; some of the people in it generally making survival in a collapsed civilisation look like a gardening project while for others it's like The Road

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed this.

It has a nice relaxing pace, helped by the scenery and the story book style story telling.

It also avoids cheap cliff hangers, it has a feeling of something much more suited to watching at your own pace.

• 2 weeks later...

Thoroughly enjoyed it but the end

Spoiler

How can so many interrelated people survive? You just know Big Man's son is out there

It's quite the cliff hanger. 

The Bobby character looked like something from Build A Bear though. 

On 04/06/2021 at 23:09, PeteJ said:

Just seen the first episode. I'm all in, it's really grabbed me. Started watching episode 2 and it seems to have kept up the quality. 

Its The Road but rated 12, and that's ok with me. 

Note that I had to search for the full name before it showed at all. 

Having finally finished the first series my thoughts have changed.

The first two episodes were great. I loved seeing a weird apocalypse through the eyes of a child, as I said above a 12 rated Road. Subsequent episodes fracture the story and this fairly unique take on the genre is watered down into something I've seen a hundred times before. The series also suffered from wild tonal shifts, and while this could have worked really well in the shock factor it comes across as the show not quite knowing what tone it wanted to set.

It still had charm and the Sweet Tooth story line was enjoyable, but a lot of the story could have been cut or played in a different order. Typical of a Netflix series, the middle dragged, but it did come together in the end.

I've not read or even seen the comic so it might have been accurate, but that Bobby character was the dumbest fucking thing I've ever seen. 

• 4 weeks later...

Imagine if one of em opened the box and were like 'Oh, is this from...They are doing season 2? Why are they doing this? I mean it's great news but I'm not sure if I want to do it yet. Also when are they shooting? I have that other show to do? Why didn't they just call me? FFS'

On 02/07/2021 at 12:18, Timmo said:

This becomes so shit about half way through. Biggest fall from grace I've seen I think, considering how good the first few episodes were. 

On 02/07/2021 at 14:38, SaintAnselm said:

Shock horror Netflix fuck up another classic comic, I really wish they wouldn’t bother anymore.

What did they mess up from the comic?

25 minutes ago, yakumo said:

What did they mess up from the comic?

The tone of the show is just nothing like the source material at all,  but that was to be expected really as they did the exact same thing when they adapted Locke and Key.  I just hope Netflix don’t get the rights to any more of my favourite comics.