Marvel X-Com?!?

Broker

Firaxis, the team behind X-Com, are apparently developing a turn based strategy game based on Marvel characters, to be published by 2K. Leaked a few days ago but Jason Schrier has seemingly confirmed it:

Great concept. Really good fit for the license. 

Hoping they go with existing versions of the characters like Ultimate Alliance with all sorts of alternate costume unlocks from the comics history rather than some kind of new versions of the characters “telling our own story” that everyone hates again. 

This has so much potential to be absolutely brilliant. So many characters to work with and make work as different kind of classes. So much potential for a fun overarching story. Really looking forward to seeing this!

19 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Hulks power is he's never Banner, but he switches between personalities. Each one is a different 'class'.

Tbh the possibilities of this game if done well are rather exciting. 

38 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Which Hulk do you want to control? Grey? Green? Mr fixit? 

36 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Hulks power is he's never Banner, but he switches between personalities. Each one is a different 'class'.

I already said this to someone earlier today, but I'd love a team of Hulks: Savage Hulk, Joe Fixit, Green Scar, Devil Hulk, and Meastro. And that's my squad. And then just tank rush EVERYONE

It would have to be a complete rethink of XCom to work though, surely. The point of that is how fragile each team member is, and how important it is to co-ordinate them together to survive. They're underpowered, not superheroes. Whereas Hulk or Thor or whoever you want to be able to send alone into a whole group of minor enemies and take them down.

Interesting to see what they do with it.

Ghost Recon Shadow Wars on the 3DS is a good template for how this could work. You have a set crew of characters you try to make it through each level with which you can level up between missions. They could just have various Marvel characters fall into set roles & go from there. 

10 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Ghost Recon Shadow Wars on the 3DS is a good template for how this could work. You have a set crew of characters you try to make it through each level with which you can level up between missions. They could just have various Marvel characters fall into set roles & go from there. 

I loved that game so much

Mario + Rabbids is another good example of how it could work. It's xcom with pre-designed powerful characters and is great. Might be some of the same team as Shadow Wars? Both Ubisoft games at least. 

Plenty of potential. I don't like the strategy layer of Xcom much so they could do that in a totally new way. 

Oh, if this is done right, it will be a day one for me providing I can get it on PS4/Xbox One. 

Just hope they do a good mix of comic book / film stuff, so there's something for everyone. 

Marvel Ultimate Alliance was good stuff although I never did bother with the latest one. 

XCOM War of the Chosen is already like a silly comic book bust up complete with English speaking superhero aliens, so this probably won't need to be too far removed from what they've already been doing.

10 hours ago, deerokus said:

Mario + Rabbids is another good example of how it could work. It's xcom with pre-designed powerful characters and is great.

This! I actually think it's the best of such games, precisely because each character has a huge wealth of options available on every move. When you position everyone for an all-out assault on the next turn and pull it off, it is joyous!

Who wants to be moving Iron Man 1 square in order to keep him close enough to Hawkeye? We want to be sending Captain America's shield through a line of enemies before mopping up what's left. We want Hulk to drop in and smash the squad that we manipulated into place precisely so he could do just that. 

Colour me excited. 

Looking forward to the gnashing of teeth when it turns out this is just a reskinned XCOM, Agents of SHIELD type thing, commanding a squad of [near-]mundane forces against minor supervillains and their goons.

(of course, if it does in fact turn out to be Firaxis-does-Freedom-Force then I'll be delighted, but I'm tempering my expectations)

8 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

I'm not sure the fast-paced, action-packed world of Marvel super heroes really 'fits' an X-Com style game but if anyone can make it work, it's Firaxis. 

My immediate thought was similar, but then I figured this format would allow them the opportunity to make it much more cinematic than would be possible in an action game. It certainly has the potential to be really good, so long as each character feels properly distinct in gameplay. 

13 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

It would have to be a complete rethink of XCom to work though, surely. The point of that is how fragile each team member is, and how important it is to co-ordinate them together to survive. They're underpowered, not superheroes. Whereas Hulk or Thor or whoever you want to be able to send alone into a whole group of minor enemies and take them down.

Interesting to see what they do with it.

I don't think it really requires a rethink. That would imply the characters are never under threat in the source material. I've not read any of the comics but I've seen enough of the films to know it's not difficult to make superheroes seem vulnerable, and they can even die!

Permadeath will be off the table for sure (not that death ever stopped superheroes coming back but it might get contrived eventually) but that didn’t hurt Rabbids.

I honestly can't get that excited by the idea of just slapping the Marvel brand on something and this somehow making something great by association. It would be quite fun if it was more like some sort of Marvel Zombies style crossover though, with the established aliens from XCOM invading the Marvel universe. That would at least be a more interesting use of the license and give it a thematic purpose.

Play as Skrulls infiltrating the Avengers where the idea of the game is to go around doing avengery stuff but you need to engineer situations where you can replace a real avenger with a Skrull imposter mid-mission without the knowledge of the remaining real avengers. Have a suspicion counter that works like the doomsday clock in Xcom except that when it fills up you then go to all out war with whatever Avengers you haven't taken out. 

13 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

That sounds a lot like just contriving a way to slap the Marvel brand on regular old XCom TBH.

Which is what most of these licensed games end up being. I'd like it to at least give me a thematic reason to be excited for a Marvel game if that is the case.

59 minutes ago, revlob said:

I don't think it really requires a rethink. That would imply the characters are never under threat in the source material. I've not read any of the comics but I've seen enough of the films to know it's not difficult to make superheroes seem vulnerable, and they can even die!

Sure, but only after they've smashed their way through hundreds of robot/alien goons first.