The “Exclusives are terrible and I hate them” Thread

Broker

9 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

I thought it was a PC is best thread.

Well it is isn't it? If you:-

a) can afford one

b) find parts to actually build one at the moment.

12 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Why don't Nintendo ever get bitched at for hoarding IPs? 

To be honest Sony and Microsoft haven’t been either; this is really a thread about some people relitigating the tedious “you’re a moron if you don’t think everything is going to be Xbox exclusive” discussion from the Bethesda thread.

I didn't even realise people had more than a casual moan about this stuff until that guy's post on resetera was linked and he seemed outraged after he'd supported Bethesda for so long and now he wouldn't be able to play their games.

Back in my day it just accepted that different consoles had different games. You just played what was available to you :blah: 

I personally think a bit of competition is a good thing. Sony can't have Fallout anymore? If the appetite is there then maybe they'll develop their own take on it. We might actually see some good games come of it. 

1 hour ago, imp said:

My first reaction to this thread was "There was a Bioshock 3?!" and then I remembered Infinite and wish I hadn't.

Infinite was great IMHO. Really enjoyed playing it through. Loved the environment and story etc. Just played really well. Normally not a fan of FPS games, Bioshock being the exception amongst a few others.

4 minutes ago, phillv85 said:

Back in my day it just accepted that different consoles had different games. You just played what was available to you :blah: 

But you are forgetting these days that many have a sense of entitlement... :( And then bitch on about things on the web. Which in turn actually feeds the hype train.. more traffic is generated therefore more expose and then demand. Win/Win for the greedy corporations! :D 

Just buy a PC if it bothers you that much or buy both consoles. Or just be happy and enjoy what you *do* have. 

2 minutes ago, MattyP said:

But you are forgetting these days that many have a sense of entitlement... :( And then bitch on about things on the web. Which in turn actually feeds the hype train.. more traffic is generated therefore more expose and then demand. Win/Win for the greedy corporations! :D 

Just buy a PC if it bothers you that much or buy both consoles. Or just be happy and enjoy what you *do* have. 

It’s not like there’s a shortage of truly great games of all styles across all formats. I could do nothing but play video games for a year and I’d be nowhere near touching all of the games I want to finish on just the PS4.

Just now, Alex W. said:

It’s not like there’s a shortage of truly great games of all styles across all formats. I could do nothing but play video games for a year and I’d be nowhere near touching all of the games I want to finish on just the PS4.

Absofuckinglutely... :D 

7 hours ago, MattyP said:

Well it is isn't it? If you:-

a) can afford one

b) find parts to actually build one at the moment.

I was joking, mostly, due to those exact those points.   Having said that, a reasonably priced PC from years ago will run pretty much everything well.  There's no need for anything above a 1060 or even less to run pretty much any title well at 1080p.  You're still in the realm of an embarrassment of videogame riches.

18 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

I was joking, mostly, due to those exact those points.   Having said that, a reasonably priced PC from years ago will run pretty much everything well.  There's no need for anything about a 1060 or even less to run pretty much any title well at 1080p.  You're still in the realm of an embarrassment of videogame riches.

Absolutely and my PC is! Ancient. :D  Agee you cannot beat the variety on PC. Also now that GamePass has been added to the mix! Why I decided to go to pauper level graphics and just play my Xbox games on it rather than a console. 

However even ancient 980Ti cards can sell for up to £300 at times these days... It is INSANE.... 

Fuck Sony. They started it. Exclusive content ripped out of nearly every xbox multiplat last gen so they could use that word associated with every title as Sony "exclusive" and barely a word mentioned about it across the "consumer friendly" media.  Whole gameplay mechanics and levels torn asunder from xbox games last gen. Despite the endless praise and 9s and 10s awarded across the media to their exclusives I still managed to resist. They almost got me with Giant Bombs's fawning over Horizon ZD  but then I saw how much their games cost in the supermarket and held off. Maybe I'll get a PS5 this gen to experience all of these classics but I think once Xbox gets their arse in gear and actually starts releasing some of these titles, the grass is greener FOMO will decrease. 

Bar Doom and Dishonoured, Bethesda games have been lukewarm since 2008. 

But if I did want to insult myself, didn’t have a PC and fancied playing “Elder Scrolls VI Skyrim II - We Now Have Milkable Cows For Sidequests Turbo Shout” I would buy an Xbox or save for one.

My experience with fanboys is the sheer thought of owning the system repulses them to their core, which is absolutely ridiculous. 

I have been bigger into Sony’s machines for the last two gens, but loved my One X when I dipped, and honestly the best generation for me ever was the 360. I just go where the games I fancy are. That goes for Bethesda fans, I may detest their content mostly, but if it tips the scales more than Sonys offering get a Series X.

2 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Fuck Sony. They started it. Exclusive content ripped out of nearly every xbox multiplat last gen so they could use that word associated with every title as Sony "exclusive" and barely a word mentioned about it across the "consumer friendly" media.  Whole gameplay mechanics and levels torn asunder from xbox games last gen. Despite the endless praise and 9s and 10s awarded across the media to their exclusives I still managed to resist. They almost got me with Giant Bombs's fawning over Horizon ZD  but then I saw how much their games cost in the supermarket and held off. Maybe I'll get a PS5 this gen to experience all of these classics but I think once Xbox gets their arse in gear and actually starts releasing some of these titles, the grass is greener FOMO will decrease. 

Just swallow your video game pride and enjoy both. Microsoft was an absolute machine buying exclusivity during the 360 days, Sony learnt that lesson for PS4 and fought back.

I honestly cannot understand the animosity towards either side. 

I quite like exclusives, they give each machine and company their own distinct flavour that would be a shame to lose. 

Microsoft did loads of ‘moneyhatting’ in the early years of the 360 with exclusivity for Mass Effect, Bioshock and Oblivion etc and it really cemented a strong identity that Xbox was a platform that aimed to bring western PC-type experiences into the console realm. Sony was decidedly not pushing these types of game in the PS2 and 3 era.

Contrast that with the Xbox One, which along with an anodyne first party offering had seemingly no connecting thread among any of its third party exclusives and consequently was probably the single most boring console ever released.

The Bethesda acquisition along with all the purchases of beardy western RPG developers goes a long way to recapturing that whole identity Xbox lost for a while. 

52 minutes ago, phillv85 said:

I personally think a bit of competition is a good thing. Sony can't have Fallout anymore? If the appetite is there then maybe they'll develop their own take on it. We might actually see some good games come of it. 

Yes, I wonder this too. 

Frankly, I wonder why Microsoft haven't aped Sony's 3rd person action adventure games yet.  They must know they sell well. Maybe buying up Tomb Raider was an experiment on that theme and Xbox fans just aren't into it.

That Sony have leant into it so heavily, perhaps it's a given that fans of that sort of thing are already invested in Sony's platform?  

3 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

Some people on the internet are unhappy about something?

I'm not really sure what to do with this news.

Well, make a thread and discuss it like the reasonable adults we all are of course

4 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Frankly, I wonder why Microsoft haven't aped Sony's 3rd person action adventure games yet.

They've got Ninja Theory, I think?, making the Hellblade sequel and I presume others in that vein. They're the closest thing to that template, I'd have thought.

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

To be honest Sony and Microsoft haven’t been either; this is really a thread about some people relitigating the tedious “you’re a moron if you don’t think everything is going to be Xbox exclusive” discussion from the Bethesda thread.

On here, sure. On the rest of the Internet there was a lot of crying and gnashing of teeth about how unthinkable it would that those games go exclusive. We are the least cunty forum on the Internet. 

17 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

I think there’s a difference between:

a) Pay Housemarque to create a PS5 exclusive, or underwrite the development of an indie game (or even large game) in return for exclusivity

and

b) Pay activision or square enix to release an objectively worse version of a multiplatform product on other consoles/pc - as per destiny, various call of duty map packs over the last two decades, the avengers..- by chopping out and delaying content past the point of relevance etc.

7 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Yes, I wonder this too. 

Frankly, I wonder why Microsoft haven't aped Sony's 3rd person action adventure games yet.  They must know they sell well. Maybe buying up Tomb Raider was an experiment on that theme and Xbox fans just aren't into it.

That Sony have leant into it so heavily, perhaps it's a given that fans of that sort of thing are already invested in Sony's platform?  

I also think it’s not that easy to do, those games are the product of more than an decade of cross-studio refinement from Uncharted 2 onwards. 

It’s like asking why Microsoft don’t make games like Mario Odyssey or why Sony don’t make games like Skyrim, there just isn’t the experience there to do it.

1 hour ago, footle said:

Have they? That'd be great - anything to avoid them going out of business.

It's very much a rumour and not a trustworthy one at that. Take with mountains of salt. :)

I honestly have no issues with exclusives on any format - it’s been like that since the dawn of gaming. 
 Whether it’s MS buying up studios to bolster their console lineup after years of neglect or Sony money hatting exclusives or “timed exclusives”. I’ll end up with all the machines at some point in the generation anyway.

3 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

They've got Ninja Theory, I think?, making the Hellblade sequel and I presume others in that vein. They're the closest thing to that template, I'd have thought.

I don't think Hellblade has much in common with God of War et al, tbh. Others may feel different but though I thought Hellblade was really, very accomplished in a lot of ways (and I feel bad for talking it down) but some of it was just boring. I didn't finish it.

It remains to be seen what Hellblade 2's gameplay looks like, perhaps it'll go more in that direction. I hope there are no "see if you can find a pattern that looks a bit like a rune in the trees" sections, because that felt, to me, like some of the worst padding I've encountered in a game in recent years. 

10 minutes ago, footle said:

b) Pay activision or square enix to release an objectively worse version of a multiplatform product on other consoles/pc - as per destiny, various call of duty map packs over the last two decades, the avengers..- by chopping out and delaying content past the point of relevance etc.

Does anyone actually care about this “platform exclusive” DLC? Has any of it actually been good, much less essential? Do people really feel sad booting up Avengers knowing that a PS4 owner might (any year now!) get to play a compromised version of Spider-Man, but they won’t?

1 minute ago, Wahwah* said:

I don't think Hellblade has much in common with God of War et al, tbh. Others may feel different but though I thought Hellblade was really, very accomplished in a lot of ways (and I feel bad for talking it down) but some of it was just boring. I didn't finish it.

It remains to be seen what Hellblade 2's gameplay looks like, perhaps it'll go more in that direction. I hope there are no "see if you can find a pattern that looks a bit like a rune in the trees" sections, because that felt, to me, like some of the worst padding I've encountered in a game in recent years. 

Pretty sure that Phil Spenser has said they're not interested in aping Sony's portfolio of games.  It wouldn't the best use of the studios they've acquired either.

38 minutes ago, Flanders said:

Microsoft did loads of ‘moneyhatting’ in the early years of the 360 with exclusivity for Mass Effect, Bioshock and Oblivion etc and it really cemented a strong identity that Xbox was a platform that aimed to bring western PC-type experiences into the console realm. 

I don't think any of those were a "moneyhatted" exclusive.

Mass Effect was a second-party title, published by Microsoft but externally developed, basically the equivalent of Insomniacs Spiderman which was released before Sony bought them.

Oblivion launched in the year before the PS3 was released, it appeared on the PS3 once there was a PS3 for it to appear on, it's a weird definition of exclusive when there's no other platform for it to be on yet.

Bioshock was just a beneficiary of the ease of development, I recall, 360 has a PC architecture and PS3 had a weird one and so it got ports from PC devs that had little experience on consoles, like CDPR. No money changed hands.

4 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Does anyone actually care about this “platform exclusive” DLC? Has any of it actually been good, much less essential? 

* They cut a strike out of each Destiny expansion - which was a significant amount of the rotating content, particularly on the smaller expansions.

* Delaying DLC map packs (which I think both companies have done for CoD at one point or another?) is similarly tedious, and transparently anti-consumer.

If Sony just paid for the DLC map packs to be free to PS players at the point of release, that'd be different. As it is, they pay for the rights to keep that content from players who've paid to play it on other platforms for a month, or 3 months, or 6 months: in order to make their platform "better".

6 minutes ago, Flanders said:

I also think it’s not that easy to do, those games are the product of more than an decade of cross-studio refinement from Uncharted 2 onwards. 

It’s like asking why Microsoft don’t make games like Mario Odyssey or why Sony don’t make games like Skyrim, there just isn’t the experience there to do it.

That's a fair point, and it's worth noting that Microsoft cancelled Scalebound, presumably because it wasn't any fun, despite the pedigree of it's developers and the need for them to put some exclusive games out, and that Sony still don't have a well regarded FPS of their own. I just googled in case I'd forgotten one and the list of the top 25 that came up included quite a lot of games that Microsoft now own. 

I wonder if this will lead to greater differentiation between platforms.