Clarkson's Farm - Amazon Prime Video June 11th

Without watching the trailer I'm guessing he 'accidentally' lets a bunch of sheep loose and 'comically' drives a tractor into a ditch.

EDIT - Yep 20 seconds in the sheep thing and he has crashed his tractor, that will do. Looks shit.

I'll give it a go. It's the complete anti-rllmuk approach I know, almost like saying you voted for anyone but the Labour party in the last general election in a thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Out today - in retrospect its a bit of poor timing with Euro 2020 starting today, could have done with this last week really.

I'm sure it will have stupid moments, predictable scripted stuff, but also be eye opening and have genuinely thoughtful moments throughout

I think it does give an inkling into how tough it is to actually farm and make any sort of living out of it. 

Yes it's Clarkson being Clarkson. But he's taking the piss out of himself and not the farming community. 

My other half was adamant we weren't watching this together but relented last night despite the fact she can't stand Clarkson.

It the right side of things exploding or catching fire, he just can't seem to help himself on stupid moments though which aren't necessary as there is more than a good enough story to tell/show here without them.

She admitted at end of the first ep it was quite good and we'd be watching the rest. 

I get its a Clarksoned up version of being a farmer but does still show what bloody hard work and how stressful it must be. 

The young lad who's never left the village is the star so far. 

I know it's essentially "let's all laugh at uncle knobhead as he thrashes about and mucks up the simplest of tasks" but, rather ridiculously, I found this both entertaining and informative. Being a proper city boy, I was startled at the cost and effort involved in farming, all of which can be undone by unavoidable risks. And, despite the fact we all know he's a dick, Clarkson is always funny to watch.

I'm liking it so far. 

That tractor is too big. 

As someone who shares an office block with actual Farmers, I have instructed one of them today to give it a watch, I am keen to see his opinion of it, what I can tell you is, at the minute, people selling Lettuce don't have enough to service the insatiable amount this country wants, they are shifting everything they can get, with McDonalds seeing something like 75% more demand for lettuce than a normal year!!

7 hours ago, layten said:

Same person did the infamous 3 out of 5 star Chernobyl review.

How do you ever live that down? I mean, surely at that point you snap your metaphorical pen in half and take up a different career?

23 hours ago, Gotters said:

Lucy Mangan, who gave one of the best shows ever, Chernobyl, 3/5.

I basically take the exact opposite view of most things she likes/dislikes.

Isn't the exact opposite of a 3/5 review, technically also a 3/5 review?

3 or 4 down and enjoying it. It does have some good insights into the what I believe the real difficulties of farming are. And, strangely there are some reasonably touching moments through some of the bluster. Where his mask slips a little, he stops trying to play up so much and let’s a little more emotion and thoughtfulness show. I think if he could curb some of that a little more there’s a future for him to develop beyond his existing pigeon hole.

I think it would be better if it was a little less “Clarkson” at times. It’s not bad when he just does something big and brash with a machine but I’m not sure it adds. Although it often really ends up in a “there isn’t really a simple faster way” lesson so maybe it works well enough.

There’s what I imagine is some interesting editing which sometimes worries me. Go to buy sheep suggesting no prep has been done at all. Same with chickens. I was frankly worried he’d have killed them all. The reality is probably a bit more considered but played to make it look like he’s just jumping in.

17 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

There’s what I imagine is some interesting editing which sometimes worries me. Go to buy sheep suggesting no prep has been done at all. Same with chickens. I was frankly worried he’d have killed them all. The reality is probably a bit more considered but played to make it look like he’s just jumping in.

Of course. I'm just with the sheep episode but the buying bit is clearly designed to explain to the viewer about the practicalities of buying sheep. I mean, I am sure Clarkson was at one point clueless but he would have figured out what it was all going to involve before turning up. But for the sake of editing and very a TV show they have to try to convey that learning process into a single scene. 

It's the Love Island approach (scripted reality etc.) isn't it. These two people did have that conversation but it was off camera or badly framed, now go to this seat and have the conversation all over again so we can properly film it and pretend you're having it for the first time. 

Its the evolution of the West Wing's John explains something to Donna that Donna would absolutely already know so that the audience can also know what is going on. 

On 13/06/2021 at 08:51, ukdazs said:

How do you ever live that down? I mean, surely at that point you snap your metaphorical pen in half and take up a different career?

Live what down? Reviewers offer their own subjective view same as anyone else, if she didn't enjoy it and gives her reasons then I respect her for that. I'd much rather someone was honest about their own reaction rather than feeling that way but writing a 5/5 because you feel you have to because it is well received. People in the rate out of 5 thread often post ratings way out from the "norm".

She may be the only person with that opinion of 3/5 but that is her review.

Now we can question her integrity if we think she is giving bad/good reviews for other reasons - that is a different matter.

EDIT - as an example (I had to look up a specific example) Barry Norman was regarded as a decent reviewer by some but his reviews of horror/action 80s was mostly not in tune with most, he utterly slated Robocop for instance. I'm sure you'll find reviews from all major reviewers that at some point go against the "perceived wisdom".

But her review reads like shes watching a different show. I think she's bringing her own baggage to the party and talking about that, not the show in front of her.

The one thing the show is not doing, is having a go at the farmers. If anything it's the local council for closing his shop because the roof is steel not slate. 

8 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

But her review reads like shes watching a different show. I think she's bringing her own baggage to the party and talking about that, not the show in front of her.

The one thing the show is not doing, is having a go at the farmers. If anything it's the local council for closing his shop because the roof is steel not slate. 

agreed and we can react to her article/review accordingly where there seem to be errors like that.

One of my bugbears is this general idea that reviewers can be "wrong" when, if their review is their honest opinion, it is not wrong as it is subjective. So bringing up her 3/5 review of Chernobyl and saying how is she going to live that down is a bit hyperbolic!

EDIT - I have now read the review in question and I don't see much wrong with it other than I don't agree with many of her opinions. I would hazard a guess that she is not the audience for this as she is obviously not predisposed towards Clarkson's antics to say the least and would probably hate anything he was in!

As for Clarkson hating farming/farmers - I see her position as being twofold. Firstly she feels that the show is disrespecting them by using a buffoon to clown around farming - I don't agree. Secondly I think she feels that Clarkson is the buffoon clown that he presents and it isnt an act - in the show he does say things that are dismissive of how easy farming is... IF he truly believed those things. Some/Most think it is an act and he using it to make himself look the idiot. She obviously thinks he is genuinely an arse with those views.

Of course all reviews are subjective. I'd have to go back and read it to see what her complaints were but just imagine you decided not to bother with it based on that one review. 

I'm going to see if I can find it to see why she thought it was bang average.

1 minute ago, ukdazs said:

Here it is: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/may/07/chernobyl-review-chaos-reigns-in-confusing-nuclear-disaster-epic

She didn't understand what was going on, who anybody was or what their motivations were because they weren't explicitly spelled out. 

Sounds like watching a film with my other half.

yeah I just read it and she does seem to prefer more exposition that the series offered. meh...

I dont think many reviewers have the power to singlehandedly stop people watching things. There are too many reviews and opinions and too many people who "dont listen to reviewers" so I doubt anyone is adversely affected by a single review. I guess that review is useful to people who like stuff explaining :)

You'd hope so, but people's time is limited and they don't always spend hours reading multiple reviews. I'm sure the word of mouth would have caught up eventually.