Nintendo Switch OLED - you've pre-ordered one but do you really want it ?

Gotters

1 hour ago, The Mighty Ash said:

Suprised to see pre orders haven't sold out on Game 🤔

I'm not, the buzz for the new model completely evaporated as soon as it was revealed. It's just not a particularly compelling prospect for most current Switch owners and if you haven't bought a Switch by now you're probably not the target market for this update either.

25 minutes ago, Majora said:

I'm not, the buzz for the new model completely evaporated as soon as it was revealed. It's just not a particularly compelling prospect for most current Switch owners and if you haven't bought a Switch by now you're probably not the target market for this update either.

Even the scalpers aren't interested!

I’ve ordered one because I play in handheld mode for most of the time and I like OLED screens.

However, it was the feature that no one seems to have mentioned that suckered me in. It has Nintendo printed on it.

The most compelling part for me would be the OLED screen, but what with Lockdown my Switch has become almost entirely a home console.  The WiFi connection is also rock-solid so this new model does nothing for me.

16 minutes ago, Jarik said:

The most compelling part for me would be the OLED screen, but what with Lockdown my Switch has become almost entirely a home console.  The WiFi connection is also rock-solid so this new model does nothing for me.

The WiFi decent enough fo most games but it suffers in smash and FPSes with a high skill ceiling.

25 minutes ago, The Mighty Ash said:

Even the scalpers aren't interested!

Alternatively, Nintendo have been able to manufacture enough machines to meet demand. Given that so much of the machine is the same as the existing hardware (I presume) perhaps it's not such an undertaking.  

But you can already use a lan cable on the current model with a £1 USB adapter. It’s such a nothing feature. Really odd they’re bothering to mention it, but it shows how slight this upgrade is.

does this new device have the exact same dimensions as the older versions though?

i have a pretty snazzy and custom made leather carrying case my switch and i would hate it if this new release wouldnt fit as neatly

33 minutes ago, Paulando said:

But you can already use a lan cable on the current model with a £1 USB adapter. It’s such a nothing feature. Really odd they’re bothering to mention it, but it shows how slight this upgrade is.

They got rid of USB port to fit it in so it's almost a downgrade if anything.

56 minutes ago, VideoGamer said:

does this new device have the exact same dimensions as the older versions though?

i have a pretty snazzy and custom made leather carrying case my switch and i would hate it if this new release wouldnt fit as neatly

You should be alright.

5Ypb8QE.jpg

I've got to say, for a console that was already just too heavy to be comfortable for hour+ handheld gaming sessions, adding an extra 25g to it isn't exactly what I'd hoped for. 25g in the other direction might actually have convinced me to trade up for one, as a slightly more portable Switch (without the undockable trade-off of the Lite) would be ideal.

Not that I'm complaining - I don't need the excuse to spend more money!

A very minor thing, but it looks like they've redesigned the nubs that brace the Joy-con against the Switch chassis. Two of these are at the top of the Joy-Con, and two of them are on the plastic chassis of the Switch at the bottom of the rail:

image.png.9d65ed717c635f79bc22c5e592d8c71b.png

On the new model, they've been moved from the console casing to a separate plastic piece:

image.png.57131c95981beefdfe59d0ee35952119.png

I've noticed that due to device-to-device variation in how the outer casing lines up with the rail, the nubs on the Switch itself don't necessarily actually reach Joycon, so the controller can rock band and forth. I wonder if this addresses that in some way. The rail also uses significantly fewer screws for some reason.

Alternatively I might have this backwards, and the real change is that the bottom corner of the chassis there has been turned in to a grippy anti-skid foot instead of just being part of the plastic casing, while they've left the nubs on the console body.

16 hours ago, Strafe said:

I’m in line with this, except the bit about giving my old switch to your boyfriend.

Yea he's not happy about this idea either.. he'd rather have me give him the OLED one.

1 minute ago, Alex W. said:

A very minor thing, but it looks like they've redesigned the nubs that brace the Joy-con against the Switch chassis. Two of these are at the top of the Joy-Con, and two of them are on the plastic chassis of the Switch at the bottom of the rail:

image.png.9d65ed717c635f79bc22c5e592d8c71b.png

On the new model, they've been moved from the console casing to a separate plastic piece:

image.png.2de97199c0e3a34b86593ca3ab7c8341.png

I've noticed that due to device-to-device variation in how the outer casing lines up with the rail, the nubs on the Switch itself don't necessarily actually reach Joycon, so the controller can rock band and forth. I wonder if this addresses that in some way. The rail also uses significantly fewer screws for some reason.

"And the Flap Award 2021 goes to..."

9 hours ago, Dudley said:

To be fair, they've done a "pro" model in that sense with 3 of their 4 handhelds. Although all of those ALSO got refreshes like this.

And two like this with the remaining one.

Gameboy / Gameboy Pocket / Gameboy Light.... then GameBoy Color (effectively a pro)

GBA -> GBA SP -> GBA Micro

DS -> DS Lite -> DSi

ALL the fucking bollocks with the 3DS involving both new non-Pro and Pro versions and the nightmare of the 2DS.

Not really the same though, is it? The GB Pocket came years after launch and just shrunk everything. The GBC was designed to keep things going until the GBA was ready.

The GBA was cheap as shit so it didn't matter if you bought one then wanted to switch to an SP or Micro.

Even the DS was fairly consistent in gaps between models and price.

0941562bd5c6cf8cf89a5cb4028f138f.png

Not sure you can say that gaming on a DSi in 2012 was massively superior technically to a launch DS (obviously build quality and extra functionality is massively different).

The new 3DS barely had any exclusives and only a handful of games saw a boost in performance so...yeah it's not necessarily true that the Switch will get a pro. There might have been plans in case sales fell off a cliff but if people are still buying essentially the same hardware from 2017, they could've shelved those plans and feel it's enough to take it to the successor. More PS3 slim to PS4 than PS4 Pro to PS5.

16 hours ago, BruceBruce said:

The game plan for nintendo is likely to eventually stop making the original switch, in favor of this one.  Will likely reduce price of original switch soon to sell out remaining units, and perhaps in a year or so, the OLED will be the main one.  Otherwise it just sort of cannibalizes itself doesn't it?

Because they've increased the price, I don't think so.  

The two models allow them to sell to more price sensitive people while also selling a higher profit version, including to a share of their most engaged audience who will upgrade. 

If they've done enough to differentiate will remain to be seen, but I would imagine this new version is more about profits than user experience and cutting down on your potential audience probably wouldn't help with that. 

Edit: those Ds versions noted above and their increasing rrp suggests that they might drop the current model and increase the rrp.

13 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

But the more recent old games *already* run like shit! The idea of a midgen upgrade is that those who enjoy a cinematic framerate can continue enjoying their old box no problem, while those of us willing to pay for decent performance in games like Bowser's Fury, Age of Calamity, and I dare predict BOTW2, have the option to enjoy the refreshed box! It's not a generational change, so the notion of games being held back is nonsense. By definition you're paying for better versions of the same games as on the older box. You're using the crossgen arguments when referring to midgen consoles, which is utter nonsense.

That’s not how it works in practice though, even if it is the idea. I might have a PS4 technically but for the last year before the PS5 released I couldn’t buy any new games. New releases were clearly aimed at the Pro, and now they’re aimed at the PS5 BC mode. If you can’t make a game run on your base console you shouldn’t be releasing it there and charging full price for it. Where you used to get games that squeezed a crazy amount out of old hardware towards the end of generations, you now get a £300 bill for the shittest upgrade imaginable. 

13 hours ago, Majora said:

Exactly, the resolution and framerate in Bowser's Fury are lamentable for a first party Nintendo release. When even Nintendo themselves are struggling with ambition Vs hardware limitations it's time for an upgrade.

If they can’t make it run on the switch they shouldn’t release it. If they’ve reached a dead end where they can’t come up with exciting news games because the hardware is holding them back then it’s time for a new console. But given that the hardware in the switch was ancient at release I don’t think that’s the issue. They’re just being lazy because they know people will but whatever they put out right now.

21 minutes ago, Broker said:

If they can’t make it run on the switch they shouldn’t release it. If they’ve reached a dead end where they can’t come up with exciting news games because the hardware is holding them back then it’s time for a new console. But given that the hardware in the switch was ancient at release I don’t think that’s the issue. They’re just being lazy because they know people will but whatever they put out right now.

😂

Mate, it runs in 30fps on handheld mode, and 60fps docked. It’s hardly lazy, or a sign they can’t come up with exciting new games. In fact, it has no bearing on how exciting their games are, given Bowser’s Fury happens to be one of the most delightful games of the year.

(Not that I’d say no to a super-charged Switch Pro with HDR and 4K, thankyouverymuch)

11 minutes ago, Paulando said:

😂

Mate, it runs in 30fps on handheld mode, and 60fps docked. It’s hardly lazy, or a sign they can’t come up with exciting new games. In fact, it has no bearing on how exciting their games are, given Bowser’s Fury happens to be one of the most delightful games of the year.

(Not that I’d say no to a super-charged Switch Pro with HDR and 4K, thankyouverymuch)

I’ve not played it (already finished the main game on Wii U) but if it’s running at 30/60 I don’t know why Majora is lamenting it’s performance. It ran beautifully on the Wii U, which for me is just more evidence that it’s not a game that requires players to invest hundreds of pounds in new hardware to enjoy. 

1 minute ago, Quest said:

Hopefully this will still fit in a Flip Grip.

I'm guessing the clipping mechanism on the back may need some readjustment. It uses the vents on the back and I don't see those here in the currently released photos.

26 minutes ago, Broker said:

I’ve not played it (already finished the main game on Wii U) but if it’s running at 30/60 I don’t know why Majora is lamenting it’s performance. It ran beautifully on the Wii U, which for me is just more evidence that it’s not a game that requires players to invest hundreds of pounds in new hardware to enjoy. 

Oh, 3D World still runs 60/60, it’s just Bowser’s Fury that takes the hit in handheld mode.

• Gotters changed the title to Nintendo Switch OLED - you've pre-ordered one but do you really want it ?