Nintendo Switch OLED - you've pre-ordered one but do you really want it ?

Gotters

6 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Nintendo-Switch-Family/Which-Nintendo-Switch-is-right-for-you-/Which-Nintendo-Switch-is-right-for-you--1596110.html

The comparison table is so odd. You really have to wonder why they are even selling it alongside alongside the original switch instead of just replacing it.

“ There may also be games where the game experience may differ due to the new capabilities of the console, such as the larger screen size”

PRO FUNCTIONALITY CONFIRMED

6 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Nintendo-Switch-Family/Which-Nintendo-Switch-is-right-for-you-/Which-Nintendo-Switch-is-right-for-you--1596110.html

The comparison table is so odd. You really have to wonder why they are even selling it alongside alongside the original switch instead of just replacing it.

It's the Ninte do Switch "family", but this OLED is like when your Dad makes you call his best mate "Uncle" and there's a sense that his presence at any gatherings is somewhat resented by everyone else.

Just now, Strafe said:

“ There may also be games where the game experience may differ due to the new capabilities of the console, such as the larger screen size”

It means you'll need to move your finger a bit more for touch controls. You'll need PRO FINGERS.

One good thing is that despite the larger screen it does seem like power consumption is around the same as the V2 switch with Zelda running for 5.5 hourse on a full charge. This despite it still using the same battery and with more storage. That OLED screen must be quite efficient.

5 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I think that's their polite way of saying that if you use this console with Labo VR then you'll puke your guts out after 14 seconds. 

Fake Edit: No autocorrect I didn't mean like your guts out and I didn't mean cake edit either.

OLED screens usually have significantly worse battery life than the equivalent LCDs, so I assume they must have made some other changes if the battery life is the same on this model.

4 minutes ago, Halo said:

OLED screens usually have significantly worse battery life than the equivalent LCDs, so I assume they must have made some other changes if the battery life is the same on this model.

Says battery life is between 4.5-9 hrs. Probably take it with a pinch of salt but that’s way better than my day 1 switch. Has more internal storage too and better speakers. 

I’m 100% in. 

2 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Overhaul’s

Lateness

Exacerbates

Disappointment

O

Lamentable

Electronic

Device

Overjoyed by

LAN

Enhanced

Dock

Doesn't quite fit to the tune of FEAR by Ian Brown but not far off.

1 hour ago, joffocakes said:

I'm glad it's an inessential upgrade.

Same. I was worried I’d have to buy a new one or end up with a version of breath of the wild 2 running at 5fps. Now everyone gets breath of the wild 2 running as 5fps and I save £300.

Might not sell my Switch after all then, I assume this means there's no intention to release hardware that's any more capable than the existing system.

Either that or Nintendo will sell loads of these and then release a real next gen switch about 9 months after this one comes out. 

7 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Doesn't quite fit to the tune of FEAR by Ian Brown but not far off.

6 minutes ago, Marlew said:

Wow look at that shitty little bastard 

My immediate reaction on remembering Ian Brown.

3 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Either that or Nintendo will sell loads of these and then release a real next gen switch about 9 months after this one comes out. 

Ah, the DSi XL gambit.

35 minutes ago, pulsemyne said:

One good thing is that despite the larger screen it does seem like power consumption is around the same as the V2 switch with Zelda running for 5.5 hourse on a full charge. This despite it still using the same battery and with more storage. That OLED screen must be quite efficient.

I might be wrong here but aren’t all OLEDs more efficient due to them only having to light per pixel instead of a backlight for the whole screen?

• Gotters changed the title to Nintendo Switch OLED - you've pre-ordered one but do you really want it ?