Nintendo Switch OLED - who needs 4k, dat screen

Gotters

I just returned mine to Amazon. Decided I couldn't justify £310.00 for a nicer screen. My Animal Crossing Switch is fine and while the difference is obvious when the units are side to side, when the OLED version isn't alongside, I quickly forget the benefit.

46 minutes ago, skondo said:

I just returned mine to Amazon. Decided I couldn't justify £310.00 for a nicer screen. My Animal Crossing Switch is fine and while the difference is obvious when the units are side to side, when the OLED version isn't alongside, I quickly forget the benefit.

What happens to all the returned stuff? Does it go to a Nintendo rep who verifies and re-boxes?

Having a usable kickstand has had a much bigger impact than I ever expected. It’s actually a viable way to play it now. Just been smashing through Aria of Sorrow with the wireless SNES pad and it works brilliantly, and I can definitely see myself playing this was with the pro controller every now and then.

5BA81AC3-A782-4D0F-B708-FEADAEBC9842.jpeg

1 hour ago, Paulando said:

Having a usable kickstand has had a much bigger impact than I ever expected. It’s actually a viable way to play it now. Just been smashing through Aria of Sorrow with the wireless SNES pad and it works brilliantly, and I can definitely see myself playing this was with the pro controller every now and then.

5BA81AC3-A782-4D0F-B708-FEADAEBC9842.jpeg

Are you playing it like this on a desk or something? I always think the screen will be too far away from me if I use it with the kickstand.

11 hours ago, ZOK said:

Was the previous stand unusable then? I must admit, I can’t recall having any issues with it.

I took mine off day one because it was flapping about and getting in the way of my fingers on the back.

14 hours ago, skondo said:

I couldn't really, but I do not think I could go back now, the blacks on it are just so nice!

1 hour ago, wretcherd said:

I took mine off day one because it was flapping about and getting in the way of my fingers on the back.

I’ve never experienced that or @Paulando’s collapsing model, it works fine for me. Perhaps some people got faulty ones?

39 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I’ve never experienced that or @Paulando’s collapsing model, it works fine for me. Perhaps some people got faulty ones?

On launch day my son put it in the dock incorrectly and snapped the little stand off, it was never the same after that.

Flaps about now rather than locking in place so didn’t really serve it’s purpose but was a great thing to fidget about with while playing or waiting during loading times.

OLED stand is so much better.

32 minutes ago, Indy @ S.E. said:

On launch day my son put it in the dock incorrectly and snapped the little stand off, it was never the same after that.

Flaps about now rather than locking in place so didn’t really serve it’s purpose but was a great thing to fidget about with while playing or waiting during loading times.

OLED stand is so much better.

I don’t doubt it - it!s clearly an improvement, so you would expect it to be better. But the new stand doesn’t mean the original didn’t work, in the same way that the new screen doesn’t mean the original didn’t work.

But as I have never had any issues with it, I accept I may just have had a lucky model. Or perhaps I just breathe through my nose more gently! :sherlock:

20 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Seeing everyone's first OLED reactions in here, maybe LG should do a sponsorship thing with Nintendo. Put a leaflet in the Switch box saying "If you like how this looks..."

https://www.lgnewsroom.com/2020/11/lg-oled-tv-and-xbox-series-x-unleash-next-gen-console-gaming-experience/#:~:text=18%2C 2020 — LG Electronics (,Middle East and Asia-Pacific.

I bet you feel very foolish for forgetting about LGs high profile exclusive partnership with Xbox. Silly boy. 

8 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

I've got a preorder with Smyths for the next batch of these and I'm trying to talk myself out of keeping it.

My justification is I play handheld a LOT more these days.

You honestly won't regret it. It's the Switch XL/LL, only it has an OLED screen so they called it the Switch OLED instead.

Agree with @ZOK on the old stand. I used mine several times in public and also at a couple of rooftop parties in downtown NYC, but it wasn't fit for any train ride or for those moments when you accidentally roll into your desk with your chair. This one is miles better.

I'm still going to use my official case as the stand, though.

I love the new screen but the speakers are also a very nice upgrade. Playing Lonely Mountains and the ambient sounds seem very spacious, as if the sound is coming from an area around the Switch. Pretty neat!

On 16/10/2021 at 20:21, gossi the dog said:

I’ve just played docked. I need a new TV. Thanks Nintendo.

My gaming panasonic plasma is still faultless....the living room general viewing and occasional gaming panasonic plasma is now occasionally making a funny whining noise.....LG OLED in the new year perhaps and an OLED switch for christmas to replace the existing one. Trouble is splurging on a house extension means I feel stony broke at the moment.

On 16/10/2021 at 20:33, Fallows said:

What happens to all the returned stuff? Does it go to a Nintendo rep who verifies and re-boxes?

It amazes me that Amazon takes it back. Someone decides to buy a 300 quid piece of hardware, unseen, pre-ordered instead of going into a shop after release to have a look, decides that they don't want a Switch with a better screen (despite that being exactly what it is) , returns it used, to Amazon.  Why on earth should Nintendo or Amazon be footing the bill for that? They should charge a restock fee at least.  It's entirely the customers choice to pre-order and it seems crazy to me that you can just change your mind and get a full refund on a used, expensive piece of equipment.  I can understand if it's faulty or not as advertised.  But to impetuously order an Oled Switch only to decide you don't want one?  Someone is footing the bill.