Nintendo Switch OLED - who needs 4k, dat screen

Gotters

5 hours ago, Strafe said:

I can confirm the new colour scheme looks good next to the PS5 behemoth. Half wish my series X had some white detailing now.

E322B03D-A035-4C18-B4A1-91B39FCCD4EE.jpeg

I’m impressed by the lack of cabling. Looks very fancy. I approve :) 

18 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

I’m impressed by the packaging. Have Nintendo moved on from Zaavi or whomever used to run their online shop?

They have, but the online store is rubbish and a number of us have had problems with our orders. Thankfully I managed to get mine sorted in the nick of time!

Took me 3 attempts to get the bastard screen protector on properly :facepalm: But anyway, at least it's on now.

And yes, as others have said, the new screen is lovely. I imagine I'll do a lot more handheld play now, despite also owning an OLED TV. The smaller resolution makes everything pin sharp. Shame the Joy-cons are as uncomfortable as ever, but the new white ones do look lovely.

Anyway, back to Metroid!

The Hori split pad works fine with this right?

I'm hovering over the buy button on Amazon now having been completely disinterested  (no white ones but neon ones available on Wednesday) but I can't deal with the joycons and the lack of grip on handheld mode if my Hori sticks don't work..

Its clearly because I want to play Metroid on dat screen...

16 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Not impressed by the disc just left laying on the top though. 

That’s a copy of The Last Guardian I found when I pulled the unit out to do the cabling :hat:

20 minutes ago, dreamylittledream said:

The Hori split pad works fine with this right?

I'm hovering over the buy button on Amazon now having been completely disinterested  (no white ones but neon ones available on Wednesday) but I can't deal with the joycons and the lack of grip on handheld mode if my Hori sticks don't work..

Its clearly because I want to play Metroid on dat screen...

I think I read they do work, but obviously you would have to remove them before you put the machine in the dock.

1 minute ago, Sumire said:

I think I read they do work, but obviously you would have to remove them before you put the machine in the dock.

Why? You didn't have to with the original Switch.

53 minutes ago, Sumire said:

51 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Why? You didn't have to with the original Switch.

40 minutes ago, Sumire said:

The dock is wider i think.

I hit the buy button so I’ll confirm on Wednesday if no one else does prior to that 

6 minutes ago, Nicky said:

another good shout for something awesome on the new screen - Limbo. its also about a quid.

Hard to argue with that, even though I’ve got it on other systems that’s an insta-buy, cheers!

15 minutes ago, dreamylittledream said:

I hit the buy button so I’ll confirm on Wednesday if no one else does prior to that 

Just checked and the Horis fit the dock fine. Charging as normal.

Purchase justified!

14 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Just checked and the Horis fit the dock fine. Charging as normal.

Purchase justified!

Oh cool. I think I am going to get some then. I am not sure why some people said they wouldn't fit the dock, but that was on Game FAQ so..

4 hours ago, ggr said:

I tried applying the additional screen protector that Nintendo supply with the case. Took it to the most dust free area of the house. Got bubbles which I couldn't remove. 

Took it off an tried again but it was even worse. You really only get one try with these things.

I've just left it off and will just try to keep in its case.

I've come to the conclusion that these things are bollocks, or that I'm just really shite at applying them.

You need to apply a screen protector in the bathroom just after someone has had a shower. The steam something something no dust. 

12 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

You need to apply a screen protector in the bathroom just after someone has had a shower. The steam something something no dust. 

It was a bathroom I used, but didn't run a shower first. 

I've ordered a new glass screen protector so I'll have another go with that.

If that doesn't work, I'm done with screen protectors.

I thought someone posted an article earlier stating Nintendo has already applied a screen protector to it. If so I don't think I'd want two layers of protection applied. I know from when my Samsung S20 Ultra came with one already applied that fitting another wasn't necessary.

12 hours ago, Strafe said:

Having experimented a bit I think this depends on the game. I found breath of the wild with its more natural art style to be a bit over saturated whilst Mario 3D World/Bowsers Fury look incredible in vivid and Arms looked especially amazing.

I’d imagine the pastel tones of skyward sword would be better suited to standard, too.

I actually tried Super Mario Odyssey in vivid mode last night, and still think it’s far too garish. Like one of those early Samsung phone OLEDs. Sticking with standard :)

Standard is still way better than the regular LCD, just looks more natural to me.

9 hours ago, dreamylittledream said:

Woot

9 hours ago, Sumire said:

Oh cool. I think I am going to get some then. I am not sure why some people said they wouldn't fit the dock, but that was on Game FAQ so..

I will say that, having gone back to the Joycons now, I do miss the rumble they provide. It definitely adds to the experience, especially in Dread. I might see about getting the Satisfye OLED grip, but it doesn't ship until the end of November, unfortunately.

wow so my 2!!! Oled switches are out for delivery. Crisis averted a little :) if anyone's interested in my spare oled let me know. I'm looking to return on Monday but would sell for cost to anyone struggling. I'm in the Liverpool area of anyone is interested.

53 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I will say that, having gone back to the Joycons now, I do miss the rumble they provide. It definitely adds to the experience, especially in Dread. I might see about getting the Satisfye OLED grip, but it doesn't ship until the end of November, unfortunately.

Hmm, good point. I just love the size of them and the D pad, but yeah they do have a fair few negatives as well.