Nintendo Switch OLED - who needs 4k, dat screen

Gotters

15 minutes ago, HarMGM said:

This reads pretty funny as every function of the Joy-Cons, from Gyro controls to HD Rumble, are included in the Pro Controller as well. Only the Lite lacks the HD rumble. The only thing the Joy-Cons have over the Pro Controller is that you can either use them as one controller or split them into two. Which helps with not having to buy a second controller.

That's why I didn't say pro controller in my entirely made up Switch Pro package. 

3 hours ago, Stanley said:

Does it replace the DS line of consoles though? The sales ratio is something like 70/30 in favour of the Switch Fat (and that’s not just sales to date) A TV only Switch is no more pointless than the Lite for people who only want it to play on their TV and would choose the cheaper price point. 

Well it literally did since the DS line is gone so the Switch lite is Nintendo’s only dedicated portable.

You’re not thinking of the kid market, the lite is much sturdier than the full fat model (the joycons being part of the unit playing a big part in that) and that bit smaller for little hands. It’s also cheaper so my first console etc.

There isn’t the same untapped market for a tv only Switch as there isn’t a clear market sector to appeal to.

52 minutes ago, Stanley said:

At the risk of repeating myself for the umpteenth time, the regular Switch outsells the Lite considerably, must be all those middle aged kids, or something. 

And at the risk of correcting you also for the umpteenth time, the regular Switch is the Best buy for most people but the lite would suit younger kids and families with multiple kids better by virtue of its lower price and slightly more resilient construction

Its a smaller market but a tangible one, hence the lower but decent sales.

Aside from grumpy middle aged men on an obscure Internet forum, who object to paying for a screen they won’t use, there is not much demand for a TV only machine that does nothing the regular machine doesn’t already do.

Just now, dreamylittledream said:

Well it literally did since the DS line is gone so the Switch lite is Nintendo’s only dedicated portable.

You’re not thinking of the kid market, the lite is much sturdier than the full fat model (the joycons being part of the unit playing a big part in that) and that bit smaller for little hands. It’s also cheaper so my first console etc.

There isn’t the same untapped market for a tv only Switch as there isn’t a clear market sector to appeal to.

Well if it literally did then all we can extrapolate from that is the market previously dominated by the DS is now much smaller having been overtaken and outsold by the bigger family friendly Switch. 

The Switch is more like the Wii in that it’s a family friendly multiplayer machine, played mainly on the TV. Do you think they’re all playing Mario Kart 8 or Mario Party in handheld mode? 

Just now, Stanley said:

Well if it literally did then all we can extrapolate from that is the market previously dominated by the DS is now much smaller having been overtaken and outsold by the bigger family friendly Switch. 

The Switch is more like the Wii in that it’s a family friendly multiplayer machine, played mainly on the TV. Do you think they’re all playing Mario Kart 8 or Mario Party in handheld mode? 

If you have more than one kid and they like to play portables (and they do) then you need more than one Switch. Having a cheaper handheld only model fills that gap (they play Mario kart on the telly on the big boy one)

FFS we have 4 in our house, the youngest is a lite for the reasons outlined!

1 minute ago, dreamylittledream said:

If you have more than one kid and they like to play portables (and they do) then you need more than one Switch. Having a cheaper handheld only model fills that gap (they play Mario kart on the telly on the big boy one)

FFS we have 4 in our house, the youngest is a lite for the reasons outlined!

Yeah we have two, but none of this is an argument for why a cheaper TV only model wouldn’t be successful. 

4 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

So I can buy it on clearance and hack it to play other systems when the emulation thread appears here in five years. :hat:

They make it like the wii mini where it be totally gimped.

This new.Switch is great. They've done everything correctly.  The new joycons are a pleasure to use, the OLED screen is pin sharp and Breath of the Wild 2 is extraordinary. Well done to all concerned. They're in Smyth's, be quick!

I genuinely don't know what the purpose of this new console would be, actually. So it outputs at a higher resolution I would presume but this is Nintendo and we're 4 years in and the library of games already released is huge - I can't see any real meaningful benefit to the majority of the back catalogue being implemented well - this is the same company that requires a mobile phone and an audio splitter cable if you want to ear voice and game audio at the same time.

I'm ready to be surprised but I just can't see it.

18 hours ago, Paulando said:

I suspect the market for a cheaper, handheld-only Switch you can buy for each of your kids that can be taken anywhere, is more lucrative than the market of middle aged gamers who want to connect one to their TV and have resisted all temptation to buy a regular Switch for four years because it is wasteful.

I haven’t resisted the urge to buy a Switch though, as I bought one on launch day. Since having it though I’ve realised I’ve got no interest in playing it handheld, plus it’s dead, so a screen and joycon-less box that only works on the TV would be absolutely perfect for me.

I can dream, can’t I?

3 minutes ago, Pockets said:

When I had a Switch I only used it in docked mode so a TV only version would have been good - except the idea of Nintendo passing on more than £20 of any savings is unlikely so it’s ultimately pointless. 

I’d imagine they’d price it in line or even slightly lower than the Lite, which is currently £80 cheaper than a standard Switch, I think. 

1 minute ago, moosegrinder said:

I thought it was "next week" or "before E3"?

Those were two of the rumours. There was also "by the end of May" and "tomorrow". Tomorrow was last week.

The main issue over these rumours and the Switch Pro generally is the silicon shortage which seems to be plaguing the market at the moment and by all accounts is due to get worse before it gets better. So taking that in to consideration are Nintendo really going to try and launch a new console this year which will likely be affected by those shortages, rather than just continue selling the regular one which isn’t, and is still selling fantastically well? 

22 minutes ago, deKay said:

Those were two of the rumours. There was also "by the end of May" and "tomorrow". Tomorrow was last week.

So we've still got till the end of this week \o/

3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

The main issue over these rumours and the Switch Pro generally is the silicon shortage which seems to be plaguing the market at the market and by all accounts is due to get worse before it gets better. So taking that in to consideration are Nintendo really going to try and launch a new console this year which will likely be affected by those shortages, rather than just continue selling the regular one which isn’t, and is still selling fantastically well? 

Probably. There's a whole argument predicated on "The Switch is still selling well, why replace it?" to which the reply is probably "Because Nintendo".

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

The main issue over these rumours and the Switch Pro generally is the silicon shortage which seems to be plaguing the market at the moment and by all accounts is due to get worse before it gets better. So taking that in to consideration are Nintendo really going to try and launch a new console this year which will likely be affected by those shortages, rather than just continue selling the regular one which isn’t, and is still selling fantastically well? 

I thought there was a shortage of the proper console? Maybe they’ve switched to manufacturing the Pro as there does seem to be plenty of supply of the Switch Lite.

Just now, gossi the dog said:

I thought there was a shortage of the proper console? Maybe they’ve switched to manufacturing the Pro as there does seem to be plenty of supply of the Switch Lite.

I think there was but it seems to have cleared now?