Nintendo Switch OLED - who needs 4k, dat screen

Gotters

Just now, Kevvy Metal said:

You need to get a grip of that stick that's attached to the moon! 

Also perhaps a bit more of a sense of humour and a less aggresive tone wouldn't go amiss!

Who’s being aggressive here? There’s barely been a cross word in the thread as far as I’m aware.

Just now, deKay said:

No, I mean use the TV as a display for the MacBook via the Switch dock.

Why would anyone bother doing that. MacBook supports video out over HDMI already.

If, for whatever reason, someone did use the switch dock as a pass through it wouldn’t be able to pass through a 4K signal on the OG dock.

1 minute ago, deKay said:

Not without a dongle. Which the dock acts as.

It’s acting as a pass through. You can just use a USB C to HDMI cable just fine.

Run it through the original switch dock if you want to drop your resolution though.

I'm looking forward to getting this on Friday, fiddling about with it in handheld mode for the evening, then putting it in its dock behind the TV and leaving it there 95% of the time. Gonna be great.

Also, to get in on the screen protector chat, I ordered some Orzly ones from Amazon which arrived today. I need dat screen to be safe as houses (while it's gathering dust in the dock, permanently plugged into the TV).

23 minutes ago, Strafe said:

It’s acting as a pass through. You can just use a USB C to HDMI cable just fine.

Run it through the original switch dock if you want to drop your resolution though.

I know - it’s for those who don’t have such a thing.

13 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I'm looking forward to getting this on Friday, fiddling about with it in handheld mode for the evening, then putting it in its dock behind the TV and leaving it there 95% of the time. Gonna be great.

Also, to get in on the screen protector chat, I ordered some Orzly ones from Amazon which arrived today. I need dat screen to be safe as houses (while it's gathering dust in the dock, permanently plugged into the TV).

Could you give me a link please? Sorry I’m incredibly lazy 😬

7 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Could you give me a link please? Sorry I’m incredibly lazy 😬

Orzly screen protectors bundle for Nintendo switch OLED console 2021 model - 4 Pack tempered glass with easy installation accessories Lifetime edition https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09DD97BWG/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_JHH33HYFY9TQGNW924C2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

There are four in a pack, which is three times as many as I'll ever need, I'm sure.

OK so, how do I transfer my stuff over to the new one? I only have a few games downloaded, but all of my saves are on the machine. They’re backed up online too, but I like not needing to faff around downloading them whenever I re-download a game. Is there a painless 2021-way to get them all across?

9 minutes ago, Paulando said:

OK so, how do I transfer my stuff over to the new one? I only have a few games downloaded, but all of my saves are on the machine. They’re backed up online too, but I like not needing to faff around downloading them whenever I re-download a game. Is there a painless 2021-way to get them all across?

You can transfer your profile including all your saves in Data Management IIRC. 

32 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Whatever you do, don't do a full system transfer. Every game that has had an update release will first need to download that before you can play it again. Got stuck waiting for an hour with Smash Bros with this shit last time I tried to play it.

52 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Orzly screen protectors bundle for Nintendo switch OLED console 2021 model - 4 Pack tempered glass with easy installation accessories Lifetime edition https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09DD97BWG/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_JHH33HYFY9TQGNW924C2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

There are four in a pack, which is three times as many as I'll ever need, I'm sure.

Thanks I’ve ordered them and I couldn’t help myself adding a new 256gb memory card. 

Oh shit - I need another card!!  Good reminder. 

If I want to give the old one to the kids is there a way to have stuff on both machines without buying things twice? Presume family account allows this?  Also, is there a way to make my daughter the main person in the AC island without losing everything?

Getting quite excited now even though my Smyths order is not budging anywhere 🙄

Presume this one would be ideal?  I’m out of touch with things like SD cards:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-microSDXC-Memory-Adapter-Performance/dp/B08GY8NHF2/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=1ZTG98BXC03OV&dchild=1&keywords=256gb+micro+sd+card&qid=1633460878&sprefix=256&sr=8-3

53 minutes ago, iknowgungfu said:

Oh shit - I need another card!!  Good reminder. 

If I want to give the old one to the kids is there a way to have stuff on both machines without buying things twice? Presume family account allows this?  Also, is there a way to make my daughter the main person in the AC island without losing everything?

Getting quite excited now even though my Smyths order is not budging anywhere 🙄

Presume this one would be ideal?  I’m out of touch with things like SD cards:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-microSDXC-Memory-Adapter-Performance/dp/B08GY8NHF2/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=1ZTG98BXC03OV&dchild=1&keywords=256gb+micro+sd+card&qid=1633460878&sprefix=256&sr=8-3

Yeah that’s the one I’ve just bought, seems pretty good value overall. Also, no, family account just lets you all access online functions, cloud saves, and Nintendo Online games. 

9 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Hmm, I kind of regret replacing my launch-bought Switch with the Animal Crossing model last year instead of waiting. But we couldn’t have known an OLED peel was more than a rumour, and for all I know my original Switch could’ve collapsed and died from heavy usage by now…

My son’s is on the verge…the fans wheeze something chronic on anything remotely taxing, it overheats on the dock and it’s also developed a very odd issue that it takes it forever (like literally 24 hours) to download anything sizeable. And let’s not talk about how many joycons he’s got through.

Hmmm but I have a lightly used new battery model and eldest’s Switch does still work and therefore could go to CEX. 

The temptation for daddy to get an upgrade, eldest inherit a fully functional fairly new model and the old dying one contribute to the cost is very tempting…

Help someone out who cannot follow Nintendo’s endless product revisions and inconsistent naming.

My daughter wants a Switch for Xmas. I’d rather not have her fighting little brother for the TV more than she already does so was going to get the handheld only version (Lite?). There’s a new version with an improved screen right? Is that only the dockable one?

And what would the name of it be in Japan? (still reeling with confusion after the whole [New] New 2D/3D DS(i) LL/XL shenanigans)